Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

zesty

Would you do it all differently
« on: December 16, 2023, 06:59:26 am »
If you had your time again, would you still go into window cleaning?

Or would you do something different?

AuRavelling79

Re: Would you do it all differently
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 08:37:17 am »

Great question. I'd have done something different.

But had I gone into window cleaning -  knowing that I would end up doing over 25 years - and realized how 'safe' it is from national economic  (even international) woes I think I would have employed but not come off the tools completely.

Maybe 3 or 4 vans providing the best service at a good price with well looked after staff?

Bit like (choke  ;D) Soupy Lite!

It's a game of three halves!

High-Tower

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2023, 09:59:41 am »
Yes, I would have set out differently in the beginning to look after myself for a long working life though. Stuck to 100% external domestic window cleaning with a 22’ pole and wish I’d found the immersion heaters sooner too, rather than messing about with ladders, great big poles, difficult commercial jobs working odd hours for them.

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2023, 12:47:50 pm »
Same here - would have liked to have started 5 to 7 years earlier

Only thing different would have been 6 and 12 wky service not 4 and 8
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

DJW

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 01:47:19 pm »
I’d have moved to Manchester

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2023, 01:55:05 pm »
And floated in a pool of baked beans with the gf
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Splash & dash

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2023, 02:37:40 pm »
Yes I would do the same again just wish WFP was around 25 years ago as it would have made it far easier to expand the business, I can’t think of any other job that gives you the flexibility and earnings that this does for minimal investment and working hours .

NBwcs

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023, 06:03:55 pm »
So much pressure on you when you leave school to know the direction you want to go in. I didnt have a clue back then and its only in later years that i realised what id have been happier doing. Trouble is, if i had my time again , id still have the same distractions i had back then namely women, beer, and football which have always come 1st so would probably have ended up shining anyway. The older ive got the more i realise that i actually had my priorities right after all, a job/career is only a means to an end, out of work activities/loved ones come 1st. I find people obsessed with careers are bit sad tbh.

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2023, 11:35:13 am »

Yes.....its the best job in the world for me...

All I ever wanted was a stable,stress free,outdoor, part time job with good money that's it....

No ladders and no collecting has made it super easy!🙂👍
price higher/work harder!

windowswashed

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2023, 11:49:18 pm »
I was happy in the army until I was in the drama of a bomb explosion and my life turned upside down overnight.  Made me realise there is more to life and gave twelve months notice to leave. Shame really as I would have been retired a very long time ago with a good pension.

Joined civvie street making a few mistakes along the way. Worked for myself welding cars and vans, custom jobs. Then went site welding up and down the country for a big firm, got made redundant when the firm almost collapsed and went sub contract for a while.

Made a few more bad choices and then got into window cleaning as a stop gap, even became an employer at one point for a while and twenty five years later winding down now with no regrets. Mortgage free, debt free and getting a good life balance as life is too short so time to enjoy other things in life and with a year and a bit to wait for a pension to kick in winding down as much as I can afford to.