Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jack Judd

Cost of Charging a leisure battery
« on: November 30, 2022, 05:13:42 pm »
With the cost of electricity at the moment, it occured to me that in 11 years I have never expensed the cost of charging the leisure batteries I use for work.  (idiot)  I now charge 3 every night for 10 hours.  Does any one know the current cost of charging a 110 lesisure battery.    Am i in  a position to back date this baby?

Smudger

Re: Cost of Charging a leisure battery
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 05:21:03 pm »
I think that will depend on the charger - look at the rating and of course how long to charge depending on how used it is.

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Bungle

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 06:18:50 pm »
With the cost of electricity at the moment, it occured to me that in 11 years I have never expensed the cost of charging the leisure batteries I use for work.  (idiot)  I now charge 3 every night for 10 hours.  Does any one know the current cost of charging a 110 lesisure battery.    Am i in  a position to back date this baby?

Have you ever thought of getting a split charge relay so that your battery charges off the van when you're driving? 10 hours seems excessive. I charge mine for about an hour every night just so that I know it's fully charged. Get a multimeter so that you can keep an eye on the charge too.
We look at them, they look through them.

Jack Judd

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 06:35:37 pm »
Thanks guys, but  I will be at a retirement village all day, so up to 8 hours constand use. Often takes that long to charge.  I will try and work out cost when I dont have everybody in the house comsuming electricity.  Might be worth finding out as I'm sure over the year it will add up

Jack Judd

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 06:36:48 pm »
Smudger, one for you if  I may. 

Recently asked to clean wall of a spa.  Large wall and it was discoloured.  It  was green lower down and darker higher up.  Thought biocide first and then went with Bio cide.  the green was taken out immediately as you would expect, but the dark remained.  On closer expection it was lichen further up and the hypo has not tocuhed it.  I then put some biocide on it and have left it.  Anyone experiience on biocide and lichen.  Am i going to have to jet wash after all? .  Thinking of Patio's, Lichen will not come off without a jet wash after hypo.  I had wanted to avoid jet wash as not an easy wall to get to.  Any suggestions more than welcome.

Bungle

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 06:53:45 pm »
Thanks guys, but  I will be at a retirement village all day, so up to 8 hours constand use. Often takes that long to charge.  I will try and work out cost when I dont have everybody in the house comsuming electricity.  Might be worth finding out as I'm sure over the year it will add up

I'm sure @Spruce will see this and do the calculations. Does your charger tell you when the battery is fully charged? Do you notice that the battery is draining during the day, ie water flow reduces?
We look at them, they look through them.

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 08:08:53 pm »
Is the spa wall inside or outside ??

Hypo should take off any lichen - so I am having a stab that it’s one of the following - limescale or effervescence or if it’s where people shower or do the jacuzzi then it might be body fat oils

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Ched

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 08:30:46 pm »
Say you have taken 50Ah from a battery (only take 50% of the capacity from a battery to preserve it's life). The charger will have to put 50Ah back at about 13.8 v so 50x13.8 = 690 watts. So at todays electricity price of 32p a unit thats 32 x 0.69 = 22p.
Assuming the charger is 100% efficient it would cost 22p to charge a battery so that's 66p per night to charge 3 batteries.

Chargers are not 100% efficient but it will cost less than £1 a day to charge your 3 batteries!

Jack Judd

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 10:26:15 pm »
Ched,
You are a legend sir.  Thats brilliant.  So 66p over the year will mean I wont be able to buy a new van anytime soon.  I would love to back date it 11 years and that would make a difference but i dont want the tax man going back 11 years so I think I will leave well alone.  Thanks for the effort lads.

Spruce

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 04:13:50 pm »

I'm sure @Spruce will see this and do the calculations. Does your charger tell you when the battery is fully charged? Do you notice that the battery is draining during the day, ie water flow reduces?

;D ;D ;D Brains not working, atm.

I just add  £60 for electricity used to wash cloths, heat the van in winter and battery charging on my expenses. I will up it with this year's tax claim as it needs updating.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Splash & dash

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 04:06:33 pm »

I just add  £60 for electricity used to wash cloths, heat the van in winter and battery charging on my expenses. I will up it with this year's tax claim as it needs updating.

You should be able to claim more than that over a year especially if you use a home office to run your business, you can claim a certain % of your total electric and gas bill , my accountant does  it all so not sure of the actual amount , but it’s worth claiming for .

Spruce

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 06:41:26 am »

You should be able to claim more than that over a year especially if you use a home office to run your business, you can claim a certain % of your total electric and gas bill , my accountant does  it all so not sure of the actual amount , but it’s worth claiming for .

I do claim for a home office as well as a portion of the gas and electric bill to run that office.
I just add an addition estimated cost of electricity to heat the van and charge the battery. It also includes the washing of cloths and towels used for work. I will review it this tax year due to utilities price increases.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)