Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

8weekly

Re: How Would You Handle My Growth?
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2017, 09:31:01 am »
To Steve:

You said "Wikipedia provide a definition: "Networking is a socioeconomic business activity by which businesspeople and entrepreneurs meet to form business relationships and to recognize, create, or act upon business opportunities, share information and seek potential partners for ventures."

Now of course you chose Wikipedia's definition of Business Networking (bold mine) and ignored the several other definitions networking - one of which was social networking.

You are an articulate man Steve and I believe you chose that definition in support of your argument in the hope that it would be enough to quell any differing view.

It wasn't enough and my answer to Franky's tongue in cheek post should suffice as to why this is so.

You then said: "According to your Google advert, I am invited to 'network', this involves creating business opportunities, which I have done and seek potential partners, which is what  I have done. I am therefore using the forum exactly as CIU invite me to."

You have made your definition of  "network" to become a "business network" definition. So your assertion falls down in this regard too.
Hi Granville. Firstly, I want to say it's good to eventually get a civilised conversation from someone about this. Thank you.

You are correct that I have chosen 'business networking' as my definition of 'network'. This is because a business network is exactly what CIU proported to be. The following I see no your home page:

"The UK Cleaning forum is the latest online resource for the UK cleaning industry with over 31,000 registered members. Registration is free to all professionals in the cleaning industry including Carpet Cleaning, Window Cleaning, Hard Floor Cleaning, Contract Cleaning and much more. This is the place to ask all your cleaning related questions and keep in touch with over 31,000 other industry professionals."

The blurb here carries a very professional tone. It mentions words like 'resource', 'professionals' and 'cleaning industry'. It presents itself in a very business-like manner.

Other forums that are wanting their members to view themselves as professional, also use similar speak. This is a world away from Facebook, which everyone knows is classed as 'social media'. This is where people choose to just burn time on trivialities and engage in the oft used expression on here 'banter'. The way that conversations on there pan out would be fully expected to be different than 'the latest online resource for the UK cleaning industry' and I'm sure many members would view this in the same way as I.

There should be an air of professionalism on this forum as it's target market by its own admission is 'professionals'. Hence my choice of definition for 'networking'. If this forum is appealing to 'professionals', surely this is the place where professionals can engage in proper business.

If it is just another social media platform, then it should have as its blurb, something along the lines of 'Join our forum and come and have the craic and engage in banter with people who own other cleaning companies.'

Professionals want to do business and should not be stopped from doing such, nor mocked for wanting to such. I would ask therefore that you allow professionals to be able to engage in their networking activities, as you invite us to do.
You don't just want to "keep in touch and ask cleaning related questions." You want to recruit subbies. It really isn't difficult.
Is "Would anyone in xxxxxxxxx area be interested in carrying out solar panel cleaning with us?" not a cleaning related question?

I think what they mean by that, is that they don't want people coming on here talking about what they have for breakfast, even though there is currently  an open thread about this. How can discussing one's breakfast be more acceptable on a cleaning forum than someone offering training and a subsequent business relationship to others?
Place it on the business opportunities board.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2017, 09:34:45 am »
Steve,

As you said in an earlier post:

... ... ...

CIU invite people to 'network'.  What is networking if it isn't trying to contact like-minded individuals?

I'm on here to do business, to better MY business. This is what many people try and do, better their business. People on this forum probably do this by:

1. Gaining knowledge about what may be their new job/trade.
2. By getting knowledge of newer or better products than they currently own.
3. Adding a further service to their current offering. This could be gutter, driveway or carpet cleaning.
4. Learn how to get better marketing materials by way of flyers, signwriting or website.
5. Learn how to scale their business.

For me personally, I have done this on forums for about 15 years, since I had my first website built. I now need the forum for a different reason, to cope with rapid growth. But I still am using the forum for the same basic reason as everyone else, to better my business.

One way I need to do this now is to contact other cleaning companies en masse. There is no better central place to do this than CIU. They have 29,000 that I am invited to network with. I am making the most of their invitation to network.

... ... ...

Those bits I have highlighted especially.

Why would a successful, ethical businessman try to get something for free especially when the people running the organisation he is benefitting from express concern?

Does it not say something about how he views other human beings?

Might folk not believe they are being taking advantage of and decide to not let it continue?

Would advertisers who pay up and benefit from all the things above feel aggrieved if such a person were allowed to continue?

It's a game of three halves!

Forum Admin

« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2017, 10:20:10 am »
Mod Note:

Solar Steve,

Using the forum members for financial gain is certainly seen as advertising by us. This tends to be the best explanation of 'advertising'. You have contacted us recently regarding advertising which is great, if you would like to proceed please contact advertising@cleanitup.co.uk