Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

IanP

Machine confusion
« on: March 24, 2017, 09:52:36 pm »
Hey all,

Still doing my research and getting rather confused by all the different machines out there.

Few questions:

PSI: Realistically what sort of psi do I need? Seen people saying 100 is perfect, others saying go for 600 and so on. On the machines can the psi be adjusted and if so what sort of setting would be used for which jobs?

Heaters: Inline heaters, tank hearts, no heater. Which is the best? I take it cleaning with warm water is better than cold so I'm guessing a heater but which? Or both?

Wands: There's just way too many, how do you know which one to pick? Haha

General questions: When it comes to the filling of the machine tanks with water. How does this work? Do they hold enough water for a few rooms? 1 room? Less?  How are they filled? Do you guys carry water tanks and are they hooked up to them or are they manually refilled? If so, at home or on the job?

derikraven

Re: Machine confusion
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 06:06:50 am »
Wow, what a lot of questions. P S I , I've managed fine with 135psi. I do mostly domestic jobs using a Ninja and twenty five feet of hose. I suppose if you were using longer hoses then a more powerful pump would help. Wands? just get one you think will suit your needs. A two jet wand is usually preferable to a single jet. Water heaters? in line or in tank? no real difference. They both do the same job. If you intend doing mostly domestic jobs then there is usually a hot water supply on tap. Use a bucket to fill your machine or attach a hose to the tap. A machine full of water will normally clean a standard living room carpet. I hope this goes some way to answering your queries.  :D

Robin Ray

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 12:47:39 pm »
You can clean a carpet with  70 psi  and one single vacuum motor and get a good result........ eventually.
In the same way both walking and driving will get you to a destination. One is just quicker than the other.

In an ideal world it is best to get the most powerful machine you can. That way you can do a better job quicker and make more profit. The minimum specs for doing a job in a realistic time and to a acceptable standard are 130 psi and two three stage vacuum motors. With a heater.

A 400psi machine is better and 600psi - 800psi are even better

If you can a used TM from a reputable dealer is even better or new if you can.

The general rule is:  more power = a better job in a quicker time

A better job in a quicker time  = more profit

IanP

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 03:08:52 pm »
Thanks guys, that's very helpful. So if you got a 600psi machine. Would you just run it at that for most carpets or is there such a thing as overkill? Could it potentially damage the carpet?

Jonathan Evans

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 03:44:48 pm »
135 psi is a minimum imo to rinse a carpet. It is OK to rinse at 600 plus but if you can't recover the water then you will over wet the carpet.
I use my TM at 300psi.

IanP

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 09:27:20 pm »
Perfect, thanks!

cleanability

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 09:29:15 pm »
Its not complicated. Its not brain surgery.  Like the post on here about cleaning a stairs, ffs is not difficult lol. So many train spotters thinking we are splitting the atom on here....WE ARE CARPET CLEANING........ITS NOT AS IF ITS A SKILLED JOB LOL ...........................135psi and a twin vac machine.........I've used this for 20years and made a living out of it.  Buy an Alltec and you wont go wrong. Tried Extracta and Asbys and have always gone back to Alltec. I'm not an Alltec rep........its just they are so helpful and their machines are fantastic.

Chris

edward coller

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 09:41:51 pm »
MMMMmmmm, Its only a skill when its not gone right, when you  ruin someones carpet, when you turn the lovly customers suite a nice shade of puke...Appreciate its not splitting the atom, the real skill is how we treat the customer and do a great job for them  and make a business as well. I want to do the best for anyone I work for and sincerely believe that they are getting good v alue out of my years of experience and hard graft. Best Simon

Jonathan Evans

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 08:40:35 am »
Not rocket science but more like knowledge, you do need the training for me the secret is recognising the fabric or textile.
Also knowing what to do when things go wrong is vital.
Safety first. Upholstery rugs and hard floors need a higher level of knowledge than carpet imo.

IanP

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 08:21:24 pm »
There's not many jobs which are rocket science, but that certain doesn't mean it's not good to get some advice and learn as much as possible, before starting. Best way to avoid mistakes!