Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Philip Nosko

Which portable?
« on: January 26, 2017, 09:46:14 am »
Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I have run a cleaning business for 3 years now doing window cleaning, gutter clearance, fascia cleaning and I have also branched out in to chimney sweeping. I am looking at the possibility of adding carpet cleaning to my arsenal as I want to diversify and look at where I can earn the most money due to having a young family to support. The problems I have with window cleaning is chasing up small amounts of money, locked gates etc and with chimney sweeping (good money while it lasts) it only lasts properly for 3-4 months, then the jobs trickle in slowly for the remainder of the year. I have looked at the whole portable vs van-mount debate, however I believe in starting off small and building up so am looking at portables and also at some training and/or work experience. So my question is which portables are best? I've hears some bad things about rug doctors so would like some pointers as there are so many on the market. Bissell is one that seems to be talked of highly but I just wondered on what your thoughts are? It goes without saying that I would get some training first before taking the plunge and splashing out. Cost isn't too much of an issue; if I have to fork out a lot then I will wait and save as I believe in the old saying "buy cheap, buy twice". TIA
 :)

neilwebber

Re: Which portable?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 02:18:08 pm »
Can't go wrong with one of these.  If you are going to do it properly, you will need a good spec machine combined with good spec chemicals.  We have had our for over 4 years now and they are excellent bits of kit. ;D

http://www.cleansmartsupplies.co.uk/store/airflex-storm/

edward coller

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 04:16:35 pm »
would also consider Alltec machines, great products,excellent service, and some very good in house training courses.

scott johns

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 05:01:47 pm »
yep agree with post above if you are thinking of taking this seriously .
machines are awesome  I have two and they are bullet proof so reliable and look the business
training can be done at alltec network they have brilliant facilities and the alltec team are
one big happy family everyone makes you feel welcome weather you are new to the business
or not, best of luck anyway and happy cleaning

cleanability

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 08:16:03 pm »
Yep Alltec machines are fantastic and they are really helpful. I've had Extracta machines and Ashbys Ninja (which I found an awful machine and customer service horrendous). So Alltec for me all day long.

Chris

tim handley

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 08:40:33 pm »
Forget about rug doctor/ bissell.....

Philip Nosko

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 06:56:43 am »
Thanks for all the replies. I thought it would be a case of forking out a lot of money rather than just  a few hundred quid. Best  I do a course first before taking the plunge but at least I have a good  idea on price and know what I need to save. I am excited to be thinking of something new to be doing!

Tony Stewart

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 06:16:24 pm »
Alltec have free introduction days to carpet cleaning. Just call them and tell them what you are planning to do and they will tell you the next date of the course.
Starts at the bottom likes it and stays there

cleanability

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 06:16:31 pm »
By the way..............I used to always buy new machines. But for the last 7-8 years Ive bought secondhand. Picked up some decent Alltec machines for about £600 with wand and hoses. Theres actually one ebay now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alltec-Advantage-carpet-cleaning-machine-/282339803041?hash=item41bcc37fa1:g:~f8AAOSw2xRYh91h

Chris

Glynn

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 06:49:35 pm »
The most portable machine I could recommend  is a Titan 575 in a van.
 The van making it portable !
Regards
Glynn

dan paton

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 03:57:56 am »
Switch all your window cleaning customers to Go Cardless and viola no more chasing payments.

Mark Goddard

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 08:59:35 am »
The Enforcer is also one to consider. I've had mine for four years, it hasn't missed a beat. Whichever machine you decide upon you can optimise the life of the vacs & pump by running the vacs dry with the waste tank open for a couple of minutes & flushing the pump with a bucket of clean water after every job.

cleanability

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 10:24:14 am »
Another bit of invaluable advice I was given years ago was never let your motors stop when the brushes have expired. First couple of years I was doing this and motors weren't lasting long. But after changing brushes every 400hrs my vac motors last for years. And with the water pump I change every 800hrs.

Chris

Chris Thompson

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 05:55:25 pm »
By the way..............I used to always buy new machines. But for the last 7-8 years Ive bought secondhand. Picked up some decent Alltec machines for about £600 with wand and hoses. Theres actually one ebay now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alltec-Advantage-carpet-cleaning-machine-/282339803041?hash=item41bcc37fa1:g:~f8AAOSw2xRYh91h

Chris
So funny seeing this....i bought it. Great piece of kit !!

Chris Thompson

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 11:34:59 pm »
Another bit of invaluable advice I was given years ago was never let your motors stop when the brushes have expired. First couple of years I was doing this and motors weren't lasting long. But after changing brushes every 400hrs my vac motors last for years. And with the water pump I change every 800hrs.

Chris
Is this easy to do Chris?

Stoots

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 08:44:04 am »
I also  do windows, carpets, pressure washing,gutters,upvc fascia, Conservatorys and car valeting.

BUT what I've found is that it's just not practical to try to do everything and instead of being more lucrative it's actually detrimental to your earnings.

Last year was my first full time and doing a bit of everything was great as it kept the money flowing but you have to think in order to do all that you have to buy all the gear, maintain it all and advertise it all, I had 5 websites. You would get calls to do a driveway in the morning then a carpet clean then clean some windows.  The van was a mess, swapping things in and out. Schedule was crazy never know what your doing and always forgetting this or that.

So this year I've decided to buold the window cleaning side and slowly drop the add ons. Yes chasing payments is hassle but once you start to get the round in an order and more compact the earning potential grows. 

I really think you are better sticking to a couple of services and do them well.

A lot would depend on your area as well. Round here there are no big property's so I never get that bug pressure washing job, it always a path or a patio etc it's not worth it. With carpets it always seems to be 1 room or the stairs hardly ever get a full house. Again it's not worth messing about breaking off windows to go do 1 room.

I still offer the other services as my round isn't full but I put people off by charging a premium for them and I don't really advertise them much. Its mainly cutler enter customers who see my sign written van who ask which I don't mind so much as you are already there.

I would also go second hand.  I did some training and then bought an old extracta exel for 500. Its heavy but works fine and I can't justify 2k plus for the odd carpet a month.

Philip Nosko

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 09:30:44 pm »
Cheers Adam. I'm just getting a bit disheartened with windows at the moment. Just lately I've had a lot of people saying "can you leave it until next week?" They don't realise how much this messes my schedule up. Also the other day I had one locked gate, and 2 "not today"'s which meant I was £40 down and home 2 hours early. I wouldn't mind if I didn't have a mortgage and 4 mouths to feed. I built up a ridiculously big round over the last 3 years but had to have a cull due to the amount of non-payers, locked gates or people that mess me about. I want to try carpet cleaning see if that will be more lucrative for me. My aim is to be able to build business up and down the line employ people. I will more than likely go second hand now as it appears you can get some good deals on good portables. Now I know roughly what I'm lookimg for and what to avoid. I'm also one of those people who like to try new things. I don't like to stand still!