Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

SeanK

Re: Business Expenses
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2016, 08:18:56 am »
Buy the round with some equipment.

As i understand it if you sell it with some equipment , for instance a van and system , it is then classed a s business being sold rather than just goodwill .

Correct.

Correct or not I don't know, but have a good talk with your accountant before going down this route, buying a few bits of
equipment and then declaring a round as a business on your tax returns seems a bit iffy to me.

SeanK

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2016, 08:26:00 am »
Buying s round or paying  canvasser isn't tax deductable.

However paying for marketting is.

Use your noggin. It all boils down to what is on your invoice/receipt.

Exactly use your noggin, buy the round and stop worrying about a few hundred quid on tax savings, its certainly not worth
falsifying invoices/receipts and trying to get the guy selling the round to go along with it.

SeanK

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2016, 08:33:27 am »
That said I would have thought canvassing was tax deductible as your employing somebody to door knock, similar to
paying a subcontract  window cleaner.

8weekly

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2016, 08:39:14 am »
That said I would have thought canvassing was tax deductible as your employing somebody to door knock, similar to
paying a subcontract  window cleaner.
Agree. Pretty certain he's wrong. It's no different to paying a leafleter or subby.

DaveG

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2016, 01:23:42 pm »
Paying a canvasser is tax deductible, I did it when I first went out on my own.
You can't polish a turd

NWH

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2016, 02:02:32 pm »
This always seems ridiculous to me when it
Comes to our business,a shop is no different with god will TBH most people locally use it out of loyalty so what's the difference. It shows on your TAX return it's a business coz its earning  you a living isn't it surely.

Dave Willis

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2016, 03:18:12 pm »
Most of the cleaners in my town don't pay tax. Fact

Frankybadboy

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2016, 08:24:02 pm »
and outside  ;D

Leeds

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2016, 08:50:46 pm »
Easy -  get him to sell you the documents (that the customers are on). It's a file that he can sell you, and make a receipt out to you.

Spruce

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2016, 10:55:56 am »
Easy -  get him to sell you the documents (that the customers are on). It's a file that he can sell you, and make a receipt out to you.

At the tail end of the day you can claim whatever you like on your year end returns. It's call self assessment where you are assessing your business. But there is always the chance that if you get investigated by the Receiver then they will find things legitimately claimed by you as not accepted by them. They will have the last say. Work clothing is one example.

I'm sure that the Receiver has a business model for most small trades that your business should 'fit' into. If you are starting off then costs are going to be high and returns low. But in time they will see the % of expenses against turnover, capital equipment purchases etc. Any discrepancies will bring up a read flag.

If you have a large capital equipment expense that year they can see that on your return.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Spruce

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2016, 11:00:35 am »
and outside  ;D

You forgot the large corporations, Microsoft, Amazon, etc you have found all sorts of loopholes for tax avoidance. Government Ministers etc are probably the worst offenders as they should be an example to everyone of their constituents.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

SeanK

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2016, 01:01:24 pm »
and outside  ;D

You forgot the large corporations, Microsoft, Amazon, etc you have found all sorts of loopholes for tax avoidance. Government Ministers etc are probably the worst offenders as they should be an example to everyone of their constituents.

Can we blame them ? after all this whole thread is about looking for a legal loophole to be able to claim for something that
isn't allowed.
Just because we do it on a smaller scale doesn't make it any better.

Soupy

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2016, 02:17:14 pm »
and outside  ;D

Can we blame them ? after all this whole thread is about looking for a legal loophole to be able to claim for something that
isn't allowed.

No, we can't blame them. It's the government's fault. Corporations are allowed, scratch that invited, to negotiate with HMRC how much tax they need to pay.

You try negotiating with HMRC about how much tax you'd like to pay. See how far you get.
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.

SeanK

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2016, 01:21:23 am »
and outside  ;D

isn't allowed.

No, we can't blame them. It's the government's fault. Corporations are allowed, scratch that invited, to negotiate with HMRC how much tax they need to pay.

You try negotiating with HMRC about how much tax you'd like to pay. See how far you get.

What I'm saying is if we could get away without paying tax we would so where do you draw the line? example, when I was PAYE/
employed I was paying £40 a week just to drive to work, that didn't include the cars upkeep, couldn't claim a penny of this.
Should we make it that every penny earned in this country is taxable never mind the cost ?  its the only way to shut down these
loopholes.

Soupy

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2016, 05:58:08 am »
It needs to be level. The same for the big boys as it is for us muppets.
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.