Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave Willis

Re: Pick ups become more appealing
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2016, 08:47:17 pm »
Some Hilux models on Autotrader have hinged side panels in the top. Quite difficult to find basic models too, most are double cabs rather than the king cabs and everyone wants leather and toys. They seem to withstand huge mileages.

Is that a custom tank in the Ranger?

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2016, 09:59:35 pm »
Some Hilux models on Autotrader have hinged side panels in the top. Quite difficult to find basic models too, most are double cabs rather than the king cabs and everyone wants leather and toys. They seem to withstand huge mileages.

Is that a custom tank in the Ranger?
Nice !
but yeah that's what I liked about the ranger, no frills - I wanted a work horse without the bling.
You quite often find them with utility hard tops , ex electric or water companies - in fact I just missed out on one prior to buying mine but in a way the empty shell in the back allowed me to set up the way I wanted.
Yes the tanks a 500 L custom made by Aquaeous Plastic Fabrications.

Smurf

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2016, 01:51:25 pm »
Two lecky board double cab pickups where parked side by side in car park this morning that both had roller shutter doors on the sides. Still I would much rather have a decent size van than a pickup myself as is much more practical space wise in the back to cart all my gear about.

A friend of mine has just changed his van and picked up an old but very tidy and mechanically sound 08 traffic lwb sport with a double cab that seats 6 adults inc driver and still has loads of room in the back for all his kit. It's also loaded with boy's toys if that is the kind of thing that floats yer boat. Mind you him being a plasterer and never cleaned the last van he had in 10 years inside or out since he owned it I don't think it will be tidy for very long somehow.   ;D ;D

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2016, 02:30:26 pm »
Off to Bristol this weekend to a wedding. Booked into a 5 star hotel first night and then  once once suitably inebriated going to slum it by sleeping in the cab of the ranger. Seats recline virtually flat, really comfy with a pillow and a duvet. wouldn't be able to do that with a van  ;D ;D

Smurf

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 03:23:18 pm »
 ;D ;D

I had a radford mini once back in the early 70's that had all the bells and whisltles including reclining lether seats. I never use to sleep in it though but the reclining seats sure did come in handy with the ladies.   ;D   

trafficjamz

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2016, 02:00:53 pm »
I've been looking at pickups for well over a year now.  The convenience of having more seats as a family man, and the extra bulk head for safety reasons are the reasons I'd like to move on from my vivaro.
I already have a custom tank that came out of a Navara. It's the expense that's holding me back at the moment

EandM

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2016, 02:31:23 pm »
I've been looking at pickups for well over a year now.  The convenience of having more seats as a family man, and the extra bulk head for safety reasons are the reasons I'd like to move on from my vivaro.
I already have a custom tank that came out of a Navara. It's the expense that's holding me back at the moment

Don't buy a Navara - they're lovely trucks but they do have a number of serious issues.

Dave Willis

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2016, 04:50:23 pm »
Only just got off a customers gravel drive today. The gravel was too deep, really struggled  >:(

trafficjamz

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2016, 06:23:42 pm »
Don't buy a Navara - they're lovely trucks but they do have a number of serious issues.
Yeah I saw that video by the Yorkshire mechanic!  Don't buy a Navara if you're taking it beyond 80k.
Been thinking of a lease. That way they'll be under warranty, but I'm looking at £250 +vat per month with a canopy.  Hmmmm!

Dave Willis

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2016, 07:37:45 pm »
If I did go down that route then it would be a Hilux for me. I like Toyotas.  ;)

8weekly

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2016, 08:06:20 pm »
Perhaps he needs a driving course. Can't clean windows and can't drive.

EandM

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2016, 08:45:19 am »
Yeah I saw that video by the Yorkshire mechanic!  Don't buy a Navara if you're taking it beyond 80k.
Been thinking of a lease. That way they'll be under warranty, but I'm looking at £250 +vat per month with a canopy.  Hmmmm!

If you can afford to go down the new / lease route then I can't see you'd go far wrong as long as someone else is picking up the bill.
A few years back there was website called knackerednavara.com where a large number of disgruntled owners collaborated to seek class action against Nissan. Engines on the D40 were routinely blowing up at around the 40,000 mile mark and what infuriated owners more than anything was the general disdain from Nissan. Some dealers, to their credit, replaced the engine under warranty with little fuss. Others claimed never to have heard of the problem and tried to blame the owners for lack of maintenance or not adhering firmly to the service schedules. It was only when featured on 'Watchdog' that Nissan has to accept some responsibility - though this seems to be limited.
Now we have a new problem with the Nissan Navara snapped chassis group - A number of D40 shape Navara's seem to be breaking in two when you tow something, you know the sort of thing you'd probably do with a pick up truck !

EandM

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2016, 09:29:48 am »
I don't want to get completely off topic here but in a nutshell this is the problem that Nissan experienced and the reason why we're having so many issues today:

A brief history of NISSAN and the Navara problems... from about the mid 1980's nissan made great cars, they were now rust free and uber reliable with proper japanese tech, prob every person learning to drive up to the early 90's learnt in an old trusty micra... sadly though by the late 90's early 2000 they were losing money hand over fist so a collaboration with RENAULT, 'you know' the company who make brilliant cars out of paper, cardboard, the occasional bit of metal and wiring with virtually no insulation whatsoever, to share engines/chassis and french tech?... this brought us the last of the Primera's (the futuristic one which... err... didn't progress well into the future) so nissan was then even more in debt, RENAULT bailed them out and bought a 51% controlling stake in the company and cost cutting began.... NOW HERE COMES THE NAVARA BIT, and it is just my opinion!, the Navara D22 program/line was already in full swing so any cost cutting would have been minimal, Sadly though the D40 was a different matter, by the time the D40 was introduced the cost cutting was in full swing with the Primara and Note sharing engines and platforms with the 'super' Renaults, NOW HERE'S THE PROBLEM, how do you build the Navara D40 cheaply, the engine isn't really fitted to many vehicles, so thats out, the chassis only really can be adapted to the pathfinder and that's not a big marketable vehicle so what can you do..... Well you cut back.. seriously cut back, a lot of electronics, switchgear are shared and can't take the harsh environment a 4x4 pickup goes through, smaller cheaper bearings..... less protection against the elements..... The D40 has suffered many faults since introduction, in the early years it was half shafts, turbo boost solenoids and numerous 4 wheel drive sensors..... Sadly now we're at this point whereby the chassis are either rotting from the inside out and can even fool the best of MOT examiners for many years, by the time it does shows its ugly head it's too late....... OR you place a bag of sugar on the wrong point of the truck bed then all of a sudden the chassis joins the decepticons and decides to transform into what can be best described as a children's See-Saw on a playground....... either way it makes the vehicles so attractive to new buyers with the great looks, practicality and presence...... YET underneath there hiding a frightening prospect of possibly killing one of your kids!!!!!....

ChumBucket

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2016, 10:15:59 am »
Only just got off a customers gravel drive today. The gravel was too deep, really struggled  >:(

It would be much more economically beneficial to drop that One customer. ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2016, 01:20:28 pm »
It would be more beneficial to drop every customer with any access issues and only work in the Summer  ;D

Just got in from looking at Toyota Hilux and Nissan N300 or something. Man, these things are so vulgar ....... and bloddy expensive!
What you want is a switch-able 4x4 van, nothing too fancy, just some intelligent wizardry  that can send power to the non spinning wheels when required. I had to reverse up a steep drive this morning, nightmare again, either stall or spin.

I wonder if winter tyres all year round would help?

8weekly

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2016, 06:42:24 pm »
It would be more beneficial to drop every customer with any access issues and only work in the Summer  ;D

Just got in from looking at Toyota Hilux and Nissan N300 or something. Man, these things are so vulgar ....... and bloddy expensive!
What you want is a switch-able 4x4 van, nothing too fancy, just some intelligent wizardry  that can send power to the non spinning wheels when required. I had to reverse up a steep drive this morning, nightmare again, either stall or spin.

4x4s really are daft money. Cars are the same. Wife wants a Disco and we looked at 11/13 plates and they're outrageous money.

PoleKing

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2016, 06:26:02 pm »
I need, want a pick-up.
I drop my children to school once a week and its getting tight in my traffic with their car seats.
And on my round I do have to go down a few gravel tracks and they get a bit muddy in winter.
Thats how I've justified it to myself  ;D

I like taking my time on vehicles-the wife looks at houses and I at cars.

So I'm due a new motor in March and like the Amarok (I've driven VAG cars for about 8 years now) but it's only a 2 litre and i can't help think that with weight it'll not be as good as the 3 litre of the new Ford Ranger.
And the Ranger has loads of lovely little touches.
But my heart just isn't in the blue oval :(
Step up:
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/volkswagen/new-2016-vw-amarok-gets-a-v6-pick-me-up/
221BHP and 406lb torque

Decision made   :D

Can be ordered in September.
12 week build time.
Plenty of time for my 1st March delivery :D :D :D
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

NWH

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2016, 03:27:51 pm »

4x4s really are daft money. Cars are the same. Wife wants a Disco and we looked at 11/13 plates and they're outrageous money.
I have a customer that part Xd her disco for another one it was an 06 Reg they have her £6500 for it only to see it on the forecourt a month later for he 12 mark lol,complete rip off m8 if you get one lease it and get another one 2-3 years later no big bills then only 6-800 a month depending on what option you go for lol.

robbo333

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2016, 06:01:39 pm »
I'm 52 now and have driven my fair share of vehicles. I used to own a Toyota Hilux Intimidator (japanese import) and I have to say it is the best vehicle I have ever owned, bar none. I wasn't window cleaning at the time so it was purely for pleasure but it was the nuts. Just thought I'd mention it  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

ChumBucket

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2016, 06:28:53 pm »
Seen a 16 plate ranger today, huge thing it was.  Very nice but not practical for our use Imo.