Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian Sheppard

Re: The new WFP Link fob and app looks great
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 05:39:45 pm »
Hi Pete

While you are spot on that the pressure dynamics of the system, does mean that water flow does not stop instantly the actual amount of time will vary system to system and is affected by a number of factors.  Hose expansion rate. length of hose, ID of hose and connectors and pole hose, size of the jets, Pump efficiency and flow rates even ambient air temperature will all have an effect.
Thanks for that, but believe it or not I didn't need you to tell me that I'm spot on, I already knew from my own experience and because I'm not stupid.

And all the factors that might influence the delay, while I'm sure you felt clever writing all that, are irrelevant.  The fact is, any remote that controls the pump at the system is going to suffer the same delay problem, including one controlled by means of an app.

In three years experience I have yet to come across a it taking more than a few seconds for flow to stop.
3 years experience of window cleaning?  Or 3 years experience of making flow controllers?  With all due respect, unless you have actually window cleaned yourself for any length of time, using a remote and also the low-tech pole hose pinch method, you have no idea whether that is an acceptable delay or not.

And you might well think "a few seconds" is no problem, but it's actually "a few seconds" x 2.  This is because you have to wait 'a few seconds' for it to stop, then wait another 'few seconds' for it to start up again.  And for that 'few seconds' you either have water jetting out and being wasted, or no water when you need it.

Interestingly unless you have a tap right on the end of the pole there will still be a delay between the tap being turned off and flow actually stopping this is because the pressure between the tap and the brush head must bleed away before flow can stop . So whether you stop the pump with a remote of use a tap there is always a short period between the tap closing and flow stopping which is dictated by the pressure dynamics of the system .

Technically that may be true, but the delay is so small it is not noticeable.  It's negligible. Less than half a second or maybe less than a tenth of a second.  For all practical purposes it's instant switch off, and you know it.  For you to even suggest you have to put up with a 'delay' when pinching the pole hose is an indication that you have no answer to the argument that ALL remote controllers cause a delay.

To respond to that by in effect saying "There's also a delay if you pinch your pole hose" is, in my opinion, an invalid argument.  Maybe I'll post a video of this terrible 'delay' when pinching the pipe, and then we'll all see what a feeble argument that is.

The advantage of switching the pump is a reduction off pressure in the line, reduced strain on the connectors and pump motor, and with the pump off no current draw.

I'm not worried about the strain of my connectors or pump motor.  In many years of window cleaning I've never had a connector pop off, or a pump fail.  Never had a battery go flat either, because the pump turns itself off if you pinch the pipe for longer than a few seconds as the pressure switch kicks in.

So, sorry but I remain unimpressed with any of these remotes.  When someone invents one that will INSTANTLY stop or start the water, then I'll give it a go, but for me the annoying delay between activating the remote and the water switching on or off makes them impractical.

Just my opinion.

Personally I have been involved for 5 years and consider myself very fortunate to have be able to learn from and work with  a number of very experienced people doing the job.
In that time I have carried out testing myself and yes that would include on occasion putting a brush on glass. For me it is important to understand what needs to happen at the glass and then work backwards so the controller provides this.

As an electronics company Spring have been producing a number of diverse products for a long time. The  controllers we have been producing for 12 years and have learned a great deal over that time.
We have access to window cleaners, system builders who are window cleaners and distributors who between them provide us with very valuable information. Over the 12 years it is the knowledge and experience of these people who have shaped and driven our development from the very 1st V1 analogue.

The WFP market has many products to suit individual likes and dislikes and the market is very much consumer driven. I accept our controllers and radio remotes will not be to the taste of everyone but equally I will provide facts and information based on both my experience and the experiences of window cleaners to support both our product and the people who use them every day.

V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 05:51:11 pm »
I'm sure there is a market out there for this.

I can't see a single advantage that it would give me but that's not the point is it? It's not aimed at me. I like my pointless tech to be non productive i.e. toys. I like my work tools to be as straightforward and robust as possible, this for me would be 'something else to go wrong'.

Over the time I have been involved with the WFP industry  I have learned a great deal from people using different techniques different tools and different controllers/ no controllers.  Everyone has their own preferences that works, The market has produced and will continue to produce a number of tools that suit some and not others and that is how it should be.
V16 Is Here

tlwcs

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 09:31:59 pm »
Begs the question why?
What benefits will it bring, I like simple
Tony

To answer the question of benefits. There are two immediate benefits with WFP Link
1. Range Our best radio remote will currently go up to 120 meters. WFP Link will go up to 500
2. Line of sight. All the current radio remotes need to have a line of sight between the transmitter and receiver. This means as soon as you go around a corner it stop working
WFP Link Has no such limitation It will work if you are behind building or around a corner. So you no longer need to move the trolley or van.

The Fob has a two way comms channel to the controller this means you will get a response back from the controller. The Fob it self will be configurable so if you want to have a one button auto calibration via the Fob you can If you want to start a tank fill you can and so on.

We have listened to people who use our radio remote,s in regard to range and line of sight issues WFP Link answers these.

Its about ease of use ans simplicity. The fob default set up allows the pump to be switched adjust flow rate and has a rinse boost. WFP Link and the fob can be used as a stand alone Or you can add in the app which also allows to see real time system information such as battery, That the system is fill and Auto calibrate at the touch of one button. We wanted to take all the features and functions of the V9 and V11 and make them easier to use as for cost well the RRP will be £179 (ex vat) for the Advance antenna version and £195 (ex vat)  for the Ultimate antenna version so yes it is a little more than the current three button RF but it offers masses more usability and ease

Thank you Ian,
It's still not for me.
I have used the one shot and if I overlook the lag and line of site, it's still a pia.
Fob in pocket or round neck, gloves off to stop the water between each window. On off , gloves on, off.
I disliked the Aqua Dapter or aqua tap and I know this cuts the pump deadish but the univalve  to turn water on and off beats this hands down.
Maybe I'm a bit long in the tooth but I set the flow for each job at the van when I take the pole out. Never needed a boost but guess I could just fold the hose for a couple of seconds, shorter than finding and using the fob to create a boost?
This ain't for me.
Tony

rosskesava

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 12:17:11 am »
To answer the question of benefits. There are two immediate benefits with WFP Link
1. Range Our best radio remote will currently go up to 120 meters. WFP Link will go up to 500
2. Line of sight. All the current radio remotes need to have a line of sight between the transmitter and receiver. This means as soon as you go around a corner it stop working
WFP Link Has no such limitation It will work if you are behind building or around a corner. So you no longer need to move the trolley or van.

The Fob has a two way comms channel to the controller this means you will get a response back from the controller. The Fob it self will be configurable so if you want to have a one button auto calibration via the Fob you can If you want to start a tank fill you can and so on.

We have listened to people who use our radio remote,s in regard to range and line of sight issues WFP Link answers these.

Its about ease of use ans simplicity. The fob default set up allows the pump to be switched adjust flow rate and has a rinse boost. WFP Link and the fob can be used as a stand alone Or you can add in the app which also allows to see real time system information such as battery, That the system is fill and Auto calibrate at the touch of one button. We wanted to take all the features and functions of the V9 and V11 and make them easier to use as for cost well the RRP will be £179 (ex vat) for the Advance antenna version and £195 (ex vat)  for the Ultimate antenna version so yes it is a little more than the current three button RF but it offers masses more usability and ease

Sorry to sound sarcastic. It's nothing personal.

I use a remote that will work around the back of buildings and I've never once had a problem with it not working due to distance, buildings, etc.

All it takes is a little research on the net to find find the right type of remote.

I paid £25 for mine. Mine just has on/off and in the last 3 years it has done the job just fine.

How much does the over complicated one on offer cost?

Oh... it costs the best part of £200. Well fancy that.

It's the same as the over complicated over engineered varistream type controller. I use a motor voltage regulator that cost under a fiver and it's worked perfectly for about 6 years now.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

STEVE-UK

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 06:31:44 am »
Is there a new static RO controller coming out with an app?

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 09:23:09 am »

Sorry to sound sarcastic. It's nothing personal.

I use a remote that will work around the back of buildings and I've never once had a problem with it not working due to distance, buildings, etc.

All it takes is a little research on the net to find find the right type of remote.

I paid £25 for mine. Mine just has on/off and in the last 3 years it has done the job just fine.

How much does the over complicated one on offer cost?

Oh... it costs the best part of £200. Well fancy that.

It's the same as the over complicated over engineered varistream type controller. I use a motor voltage regulator that cost under a fiver and it's worked perfectly for about 6 years now.

From our conversations you have a well thought out and designed system, you also take steps to protect it such as soldering connections placing wire in conduit. The systems works well for you because you maintain it and it will go on for years. I welcome your comments because at the heart of your system is a controller that allows you to manage flow as required to the job.
My feeling has always been a system works more efficiently with a controller, The market provides many different options ours is just one. It does things no other controller does such as the electrical safety test. because not everyone is able to build a system as you do.

V16 Is Here

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 09:25:50 am »
Begs the question why?
What benefits will it bring, I like simple
Tony

Hi Tony thank you for your comments. In the end what this all comes down to is personal preference and what works. For me it is good that there are a range of products and techniques because it means there is always something to suit each taste.

Thank you Ian,
It's still not for me.
I have used the one shot and if I overlook the lag and line of site, it's still a pia.
Fob in pocket or round neck, gloves off to stop the water between each window. On off , gloves on, off.
I disliked the Aqua Dapter or aqua tap and I know this cuts the pump deadish but the univalve  to turn water on and off beats this hands down.
Maybe I'm a bit long in the tooth but I set the flow for each job at the van when I take the pole out. Never needed a boost but guess I could just fold the hose for a couple of seconds, shorter than finding and using the fob to create a boost?
This ain't for me.
Tony
V16 Is Here

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2016, 09:29:53 am »
Is there a new static RO controller coming out with an app?

Hi Steve the app will be ported to the LL V3 later in the year.
Due to the bespoke nature of the V3 it requires its own app. Currently I dont believe there is a plan to port to the static S3, but it could go down that road in the future
V16 Is Here

rosskesava

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 12:06:59 am »
From our conversations you have a well thought out and designed system, you also take steps to protect it such as soldering connections placing wire in conduit. The systems works well for you because you maintain it and it will go on for years. I welcome your comments because at the heart of your system is a controller that allows you to manage flow as required to the job.
My feeling has always been a system works more efficiently with a controller, The market provides many different options ours is just one. It does things no other controller does such as the electrical safety test. because not everyone is able to build a system as you do.

Thanks for the compliment and I appreciate the highly diplomatic reply. That is sadly something that is often missing on here and I own up, I was perhaps in that misguided style of 'attack the posting' with what I posted. So, apologises for that.

The topic in question:

I like functionality at the minimum cost along with simplicity which often means also, reliability.

Some people like over complicated gadgets and gizmos for the job being carried out. I don't.

Why not do a whole range of stuff like other industries do? I can go out and buy the latest iphone 4 (or is it 5) or I can buy just a basic phone for much less.

Someone above made a good point about flaffing about to turn a remote on and off and the point he made seems to have been missed. How about making a remote with a very large on/off button that hangs off a belt loop that can be operated easily with gloves on?

To my mind, the app thing shown is impractical to use, You need to completely stop what you are doing, look at it and then adjust the settings. Further to that, what if you are like me and cannot see things close up without glasses but can see fine otherwise? Do I then need to always have my glasses with me?

It's fine to go down the technology route but only if that is mixed with functionality and practicality.

Then there is the cost that I sarcastically mentioned. £200 odd quid to what is basically to just turn water off and on at the pole? I don't want to sound rude but is there a bit of the 'Ionic's approach' going on here?

Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 10:12:30 am »

Thanks for the compliment and I appreciate the highly diplomatic reply. That is sadly something that is often missing on here and I own up, I was perhaps in that misguided style of 'attack the posting' with what I posted. So, apologises for that.

The topic in question:

I like functionality at the minimum cost along with simplicity which often means also, reliability.

Some people like over complicated gadgets and gizmos for the job being carried out. I don't.

Why not do a whole range of stuff like other industries do? I can go out and buy the latest iphone 4 (or is it 5) or I can buy just a basic phone for much less.

Someone above made a good point about flaffing about to turn a remote on and off and the point he made seems to have been missed. How about making a remote with a very large on/off button that hangs off a belt loop that can be operated easily with gloves on?

To my mind, the app thing shown is impractical to use, You need to completely stop what you are doing, look at it and then adjust the settings. Further to that, what if you are like me and cannot see things close up without glasses but can see fine otherwise? Do I then need to always have my glasses with me?

It's fine to go down the technology route but only if that is mixed with functionality and practicality.

Then there is the cost that I sarcastically mentioned. £200 odd quid to what is basically to just turn water off and on at the pole? I don't want to sound rude but is there a bit of the 'Ionic's approach' going on here?

No problem I accept there are many right ways to do something and your comments are appreciated, It is good to for questions to be aired and different points of view explored. The forum should be about people being able to see different ideas and products then picking what best suits them.

To try answer the tech side
Functionality - reliability and ease is an area we work hard on as do others,  while the box the controller is in has not changed the electronics inside have dramatically changed over time with many added features that go on in the background with no need for input from the cleaner.

There is market for less feature rich controllers and to be honest we could go down that route and in effect produce a stripped down version of the controller, We don,t for a number of reasons. For example we would have to redesign the PCB to take it back to a different state, Overheads would mean that any reduction in cost would be very minimal at best if not come out about the same.
Plus there is a very diverse market with products already fulfilling that demand, having one company cover all the bases would not be good as in the end prices get driven up. Imagine for example that only Apple made mobiles.   Having others in the market keeps us on our toes.

Re the delay in flow stopping that Pete commented on, If the way I replied to that appeared dismissive then I will apologise.
Using a radio remote to stop the pump rather than a tap on the pole or brush will mean the line has to de pressurise and that some of the water in the line will bleed away. On restarting the pump it will take a few seconds for the line to re pressurise.

This is different to use of a tap.  In my experience the delay is usually 2 - 5 seconds this will vary based on the factors I mentioned earlier. A higher flow rate for example will mean more pressure and a longer delay.  Pressure dynamics of the system dictate this and to a point a similar effect can be observed with a pole tap although the delay is less noticeable.

In part it is also about what we get used to and a change even a slight one can take some time to adjust to.
Radio remote is another option for those who want it with alternatives for those who do not.

I like the suggestion of a larger one button Fob, You are not the first to air this, a popular distributor has already said to me he sees the new fob and radio remote being mainly used to switch the pump. The fob has a loop that can be used to attach to a belt, Going forward though a larger single button is an  area to look into.

The Fob is the key to the radio remote and will be used the vast majority of the time in my opinion, The app is an add on which some people will uses and some not, The fob can be used with out the app as a stand alone radio remote. Its factory setting will allow pump stop/start, Flow adjustment and Rinse boost. Some may never use the app but its is there if they want it.

Price as always is a sensitive subject and one we have thought long and hard about, This was all developed in house using considerable time and resources.
The New RF RRP is about 20% more expensive than the previous Three button radio remote. This does not reflect the full cost of development and in reality should be more.  However in a competitive market where the unit will be available from a number of sources it is the market and consumers who ultimately drive the price. As such we have to be realistic. I hope with have got it about right.

I am biased but I would like to think people are buying more than just a radio remote controller, I would hope they are also buying support and peace of mind and the knowledge we design with the window cleaner in mind. A number of our controllers are used by system builders and I would hope they add value to those systems and the people using them.
V16 Is Here

Soupy

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2016, 11:21:18 am »
This isn't for me but it's nice to see a supplier on here answering questions in a concise and professional manner. Fair play to you and best of luck with it.
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2016, 11:22:38 am »
Tap in a holster  on my belt works fine for me.

But each to their own.
It's a game of three halves!

Soupy

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2016, 11:29:30 am »
Tap in a holster  on my belt works fine for me.

But each to their own.

Too much faff. A dead end hose connector, does the job - less to go wrong.
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.