Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Positivity

Claiming on Public Liability Insurance?
« on: February 18, 2016, 11:33:57 am »
Have you ever claimed if so how much did your premiums increase?
I've tripped and dented the wing of a car and scratched the bonnet with my pointer ladder!
Don't know whether to claim on insurance or just pay for it myself.
Not a good start to the day  :( :(

Smurf

Re: Claiming on Public Liability Insurance?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 11:38:16 am »
Have you ever claimed if so how much did your premiums increase?
I've tripped and dented the wing of a car and scratched the bonnet with my pointer ladder!
Don't know whether to claim on insurance or just pay for it myself.
Not a good start to the day  :( :(

Sorry to hear that bud. Who are you insured with?

I guess you first have to establish if you are insured for the mishap or not which depends on the type of cover you have.
I'm my case I was insured so passed my insurance details on to the customer deal with the insurance company directly and officially notified the insurance company of my mishap.  Then it's was out of my hands so to speak.

In the end I had to pay 250 excess but was a great relief I did not have to fork out the insurance settlement figure of nearly 4k out of my own pocket.

Premium increase wise I was dreading but last month I was just sent through a renewal notice without any loading for my mishap so that was another great relief.

Smurf

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 12:28:17 pm »
Going by your previous posts you paid £45 for basic public liability insurance with simply bussiness so good luck with that one  ???
Let us know if you are covered for your mishap as I'm betting after paying such a small amount they will say NO
For your sake I do hope they say yes otherwise you could be faced with a very large bodyshop bill.

Positivity

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 01:05:36 pm »
Don't know where you got the £45 - below are the details!
Insurer   Zurich
Policy Total   £146.33*
Policy Start Date   August 12, 2015
Policy End Date   August 11, 2016
* The total premium includes Insurance Premium Tax at 6%.
I'll have to read through the bumpf.

Smurf

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 01:48:56 pm »
From here bud http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=198375.msg1732858#msg1732858
I guess I must have misread your post.

Anyway was it an old banger you damaged as they might be happy with just a few quid in their pocket or was it a newish car they want reparied properly?

That reminds me of a lad starting out guttervac cleaning last year and on his very first job (his dads best friend house) whilst attempting to clear the gutters out he  somehow managed to drop the ali guttervac poles on to his dads best friend brand new Audi TT.

The poor lad was so distraught with the damage he had caused to the car he burst into tears...Bless him
If the chap had not been his dads best friend I'm sure he would not had been so self controlled and understanding.

Positivity

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 05:42:35 pm »
Hi Smurf
Unfortunately not an old banger Nissan 4 Track type thing on a 13 plate and white so it really stands out. ???
Read the bumpf and seemingly I have to inform them as soon as I think they "may" be liable for a claim on this policy.
Done that.
No claim registered yet.
He was just setting off on holiday for the week so can't do anymore until he gets back.
Surprised no smart a**e on here hasn't pointed out yet, that I should have read the bumpf BEFORE I had the accident! ;D ;D ;D

KS Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 08:27:52 pm »
It would be worth checking out what it would cost to fix at a bodyshop first, my wife scraped her car up a wall at the weekend, damaged wheel arch, back quarter panel and bumper, I'm getting it fixed for £300 which is less than what her excess is.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 09:55:28 pm »
I would have thought you were covered for this.

The only question I have heard is whether someone's policy covers what they are working on. So if you smash a window or conny roof "that you are working on" then that specific damage may not be covered.

However if you drop your pole on someone's car, ming vase or baby then you are. (After taking out the excess)

When I employed DtM he dropped a ladder on an old fiesta wing and we got a mate who does bodywork to fix it for £100. Had it been a posh motor/more extensive damage then the custy may have insisted on a main dealer repair running into the £100's of pounds.

I checked my policy an found out that my excess is £250.

... ... ...
The other thing you need to be careful of is you may be insured as a window cleaner but does your insurance cover you for conny roofs or gutter cleaning/clearing? Make sure these things are added on.
It's a game of three halves!