Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Craig downey

Van flooring
« on: January 17, 2016, 07:49:52 pm »
Hi all, not directly linked to window cleaning, but however, I do gritting in the winter, I have 25kg bags of salt in the back of my van and a hand spreader.  It doesn't matter how careful I am the back of the van gets covered in the corrosive stuff, and within weeks the van can go rusty.

So my question - what would be the best plan to waterproof the back of my van, should I fibreglass it and the protecti - coat paint over that, or is there a better option?

Thanks

DaveG

Re: Van flooring
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 08:20:19 pm »
Fibreglass with a good thick coat of gelcoat. ..
Mine looks as good as new after a year or so. Also a mate of mine is a fisherman and he has done the same..you can imagine the crap that gets chucked in the back of his van (all covered in salt water) and his is fine too.
You can't polish a turd

Craig downey

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 08:24:39 pm »
Fibreglass with a good thick coat of gelcoat. ..
Mine looks as good as new after a year or so. Also a mate of mine is a fisherman and he has done the same..you can imagine the crap that gets chucked in the back of his van (all covered in salt water) and his is fine too.

What's gelcoat, is that a paint?   Is fibreglass easy to do myself?  Found a kit online for about £120

DaveG

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 08:28:38 pm »
It's easy to do but very messy! Gelcoat is a protective "paint" with a hardener added.

What size van do you have? To do a Peugeot partner it cost me around  £100 for a kit from Evilbay
You can't polish a turd

Craig downey

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 08:37:42 pm »
I have got a swb Peugeot boxer

DaveG

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 08:47:44 pm »
Probably best to have a measure up or the floor area then email the supplier. 

If you need a link to the guys I used let me know and I'll sort it out for you tomorrow ..
You can't polish a turd

Craig downey

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 08:50:23 pm »
Probably best to have a measure up or the floor area then email the supplier. 

If you need a link to the guys I used let me know and I'll sort it out for you tomorrow ..

If you could that would be great, just looked at eBay and I'm not sure exactly what I need, so better to speak with someone before I order.... Thanks for you help

DaveG

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 07:17:12 am »
Here you go matey. Just have a measure up to check that kit is enough.. They are really friendly and helpful when you contact them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231273070377?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They also do gelcoat and will tint it any colour you like (I went for blue).

You can't polish a turd

Craig downey

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 10:34:19 am »
Thanks