Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Halliday

New van costs
« on: September 23, 2015, 06:32:00 am »
Just sat here with my coffee and I realise my van is 6 yrs old this month,  normally i change them every 3 yrs as the warrantee runs out, but because of the wrap I had on this van I decided to keep it past the 3 years.

I have now had it a further 3 yrs,  so normally I would have had a another new van and be thinking of changing that one now. It's only done £77k miles in the 6 yrs and in the last 3 years out of warrantee it's been in the garage only for its servicing & MOTs (which apart from tyres and a broken light, wing mirror passed all times)

So  although I have not had the joy of driving a new vehicle  I've saved £22k by not changing it  :)

And because it's got a full wrap ( I'm incredibly impressed with how the colours have stayed so vibrant)  it looks like new ...part from the tyres which are showing a bit of rust but when it's washed it  shines like new
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Dave_Lee

Re: New van costs
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 03:39:02 pm »
Then why bother changing it. My van is nearly 8 years old now, but a new one would cost quite a bit more than simply purchasing the van if having it fully ply lined, insulated and waterproofed as my present one is. Then there's the transfer of the TM, racking and LPG tank. Mileage is only 68,000, many similar vans would do that in a year.
In fact mine is going for repair in a couple of weeks, new side panel and sliding door after I forgot about the line of low bollards separating parking areas, which I was parked right tight up to. Jumped back in and  swung it over - crunch!
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Mike Halliday

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 04:35:36 pm »
That's my point there's no need to bother changing it, I can see it doing at least 150k easy,   so that's another 6 yrs before I need to think about a new one.

I was thinking of getting a 4x4 and using a trailer but the second hand value of vans is crap might as well buy a 4x4 And keep using the van,

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 05:00:16 pm »
Hi Mike

Last week me & the wife was looking at the Great Wall Steed pickup. Great spec even the base model had heated leather seats. Looking at getting one in March 2016 (white with hard top)...

Here's a link check it out Mike and watch the video...
http://greatwallmotor.co.uk/vehicles/?gclid=CI3K1vO_jcgCFYkBwwodiQwF2A

Also keep your van it looks nice with the wrap..

Richard

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 05:18:57 pm »
Never heard of 'great wall' they must be a new manufacturer.

I was looking at a sangyong which are Korean but use Mercedes engines and gearboxes, they hold there value really bad so second hand ones are dirt cheap but have really high spec and pull like a horse, they are very popular with caravaners as they tow so well

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 05:25:26 pm »
They started selling them here in the UK in 2012

My local dealer started selling them late last year.

Graeme Brown

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 06:44:49 pm »
My van of an 05 plate fiat scudo. 80,000 miles on the clock but shines up well. Cost me £1400 four years ago. I do 15,000 miles a year and after expences when I claim the mileage on my tax return it makes me £3500 back in tax every year. I think I would like a new van then I look at the £3500 and go all sqrooge mcduck.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 07:40:11 pm »
Graeme,
I take it you mean you claim £3,500  van expenses inc fuel each year. That means you save roughly £700.. in tax, not £3,500.. To save £3,500 in tax you would need to be claiming around £17,500..
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."