Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

tim handley

flooded axminster......
« on: September 04, 2015, 09:00:58 pm »
as above, a flooded wool axminster (sultana), from a lounge which had about 3 inchs of rain water in a week ago.........
carpet i now lifted, its in the room with humidifiers trying to dry it out, backing still damp but drying........
underlay is thrown out, customer wants me to go clean and if needed dry it........ current state of play, hes been told be me, as well as by a carpet fitter, to get the backing totally dry (which he is attempting to do now), then the carpet will be re laid, with new underlay, once back on grippers and  ready to go, his insurance company have okayed me to go and clean it. and if need be to further dry the carpet, which i would do with my large turbo drier, post clean........ any comments from more experienced operators than me (ie most of you) welcome......  should i take this on??  apparently the carpet cost £8000 plus.....

John Kelly

Re: flooded axminster......
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 09:18:46 pm »
Has it been treat with a suitable anti microbial such as formula 429. This will prevent any moulds or mildews appearing during the drying process which can weaken the fibres. It would have also benefitted from an acid rinse through to stabilise colours and prevent browning issues.
If it dries ok and is fitted and stretched correctly then just clean as a normal carpet. Thoroughly check the fitting and examine carefully for any issues such as pile distortion or discolouration. Photograph and inform policyholder and loss adjuster/ insurer before proceeding. They may want to replace if there are issues and if you go ahead and clean it you may not get paid.
Going rate for cleaning on insurance £3 - 4 per square metre plus £2 - 3 per metre for protection if that was on originally.

gwrightson

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 09:19:51 pm »
I would have thought the main priority would be to get the carpet dry asap,
I can not quite understand the logic of "dry maybe " .

Get it dry as fast as you can, application of a mould prevention may be a good idea, but rapid drying it shouldn't be a problem.
Once back in situ, clean.

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

gwrightson

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 09:21:35 pm »

Words out of my mouth John ::)roll

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

tim handley

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 09:22:41 pm »
thanks john, its not been treated with anything at all as it stands,   just been lifted and left with drying machines for about two weeks, lots of water removed by dehumidifiers.......... 

scott johns

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 09:23:19 pm »
I would have thought being an axminster would have jute backing which would have shrunk abit
I would check after drying properly the fitter can if possible re stretch it before cleaning it, make
sure you have in writeing from insurance company before doing work as well also they take
months to settle bills good luck

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 09:41:11 pm »
it needs replacing, can't believe anyone entertaining drying and cleaning it

John Kelly

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 10:01:00 pm »
Not unusual to dry out expensive carpets like this. Cheap ones straight in the skip. We've restored hotel Axminster worth hundreds of thousands of pounds in the past. Usually get them dry in 3 days though. Would be dubious of condition after 3 weeks.

Deep Cleaning Solutions

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 08:04:38 am »
I personally would pass this job on especially as it's been damp for so long.  As well as potential issues already mentioned I have found that when they have been wet for so long they become incredibly brittle.
David.
Owner of Deep Cleaning Solutions.
Expert in Web Design & SEO
www.rocketwebsitedesigners.co.uk

Paul Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 08:42:28 am »
Shrinkage is the problem. If it has shrunk in the width forget it, as you aint getting it back even with power stretchers.

tim handley

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 01:06:53 pm »
carpet fitters are going in to re fit it first, It may indeed be a job im not ready to get involved with, we shall see.........

DB

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 03:43:36 pm »
the sub-floor takes a very long time to completely dry out too...it may look dry but check it out properly before relaying any underlay or carpet

tim handley

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 04:45:09 pm »
is this not an isuue for the fitters to deal with prior to me going in to clean it???
my thinking is, the client has dried out the backing and also the actual carpet to the best iof his ability,
he
s had the fitters in, theyve laid down the underlay and carpet, assuming tey are happy to do so, i just need to go in and clean?????
i know im entering  into the flood/restoration market for which im not really prepared, BUT, if the backing/carpet is dry, and its refitted properly and i cover myself  documentation wise, in effect the client has dried the carpet out, the fitters have ensured the sub floor and underlay are fine, im presented with a carpet to clean?? albeit an expensive carpet which has had a rough ride, so, if i cover myself properly, should i go in and clean this carpet?? stil not sure. I feel a few well worded disclaimers coming on! Or maybe just move on to the next, much simpler job.............

Paul Pearce

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 06:25:57 pm »
Hi Tim

I would get hold of a damp meter, I'm attaching a link for one that will give you an idea what it is. You can use this to go round the room to at least check if the carpet is dry enough. John Kelly's advice is sound and recommended. If the carpet filters are able to restrict & fit the carpet without it tearing from rotting then it should be OK to clean. I think the job is a little past flood restoration as it must be pretty dry now.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-INT077030-077030-Moisture-Meter/dp/B003ASOBG8

Regards Paul P

tim handley

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 06:39:12 pm »
thank you everybody for the advice, i shall proceed with caution!

DB

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 10:14:46 am »
Paul

Would that device give you a satisfactory result on a flooded concrete floor or would you recommend using a Hygrometer?

See you on Saturday sunshine

John Kelly

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 11:29:51 am »
A meter very similar to that was on sale at Aldi last week for I think 14 quid. Worth getting even just to give you the parameters of urine contamination. It won't tell you if a concrete floor is dry, however for a very rough guide to see if concrete slabs are going to cause problems you can Duct Tape a square of heavy duty clear Polythene, about 8 inch square should do. Leave this a couple of day and if there is condensation on the Polythene then moisture is evaporating from the concrete and may damage floor coverings. But as Derek says best way is to use a Hygrometer.