Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

matthewprice

smart clamps
« on: December 25, 2014, 08:57:46 pm »
Going to swap my old clamp on my two gardiners poles tomorrow. Was wondering if you lads that have done this have got any advice that would help.one thing I was wondering is how long the glue stays workable once you mix it.
Thanks for any help.  Matt

ChumBucket

Re: smart clamps
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 09:03:49 pm »
Glue stays workable for only 5 minutes & this is from mixing NOT opening!

I ended up buying some epoxy resin from Halfords which stays workable for much longer & have had no issues with it. The smart clamps are brilliant. Just take care when sawing through the old clamps not to saw too far & go into the carbon tube. ;)

matthewprice

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 09:17:20 pm »
Thanks. some of the old clamps have come loose over the last year .and  I have been using tape to wedge them so should come off easy.glue does worry me going off to quick or not enough to do all clamps.will take it easy cutting old clamps off.thanks

Walter Mitty

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 12:32:38 pm »
When I've done this, I gradually work the old clamps off with a bradawl rather than sawing.  If the resin is set very hard, this may take a while over a number of clamps - possibly do it over several sittings if difficult.  I'm not saying that my way is better but it preserves pole length (rather than losing 1"+ per section).  Then I just do a quick rub down around the section end and wipe with a damp cloth to remove the dust.  I let it dry for a few minutes and glue new clamp on.  I've found that it lasts just fine.
I do wonder if there is variation in quality with the supplied glue because I have seen others write that it sometimes doesn't last.

ChumBucket

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 12:38:00 pm »
This is the adhesive I used, I bought the slowest curing but you can buy the same product with a more rapid set time.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repairs/car-tape-glue-velcro/araldite-standard-syringe-24ml

kempy

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 12:59:48 pm »
screwfix sell a "joinersMate" spray adhesive and applicator .
This sets within 5 mins and lasts , £12 , best Ive used

matthewprice

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 01:48:51 pm »
Thanks everyone looking forward to using them