Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

derikraven

applying fabric protection
« on: October 29, 2014, 06:14:14 am »
I've been asked to apply fabric protection to 100 dining chairs in a restaurant. I've never done this sort of thing before. What is the best stuff to use and what is the best method of applying it. I don't have a sprayer that I can use.

Adrian Walton

Re: applying fabric protection
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 07:58:34 am »
You need to apply it with a sprayer, if you are going to clean them first i would then follow up with a water based protector if not then i would use a solvent based one, make sure you wipe any over spray from the frame of the chair and use a mask if using solvent.

stuart_clark

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 08:45:21 am »
I do this all the time, normally for supported living schemes,  I use Stainsheild Professional,  its water based mixes 8 to 1 and works realy well, the only thing is you have to be licenced to apply it
but there are others you can buy that are nearly as good without the need for a licence

stuart

John Kelly

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 09:15:10 am »
It was once the case that you had to be licenced to use Stainshield Professional but no longer applies.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 09:15:41 am »
Isn't stain shield pro 5-1 ? and you no longer need a licence to use it , since the change in the warrentee law

Best stuff on the market ( IMO )
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

absolutecleaning

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 10:30:04 am »
Think its 4-1 for carpet and 8-1 for upholstery.

Ive just started using it and had positive feedback from a client on protection.  It just seems like a lot of liquid to be spraying down post clean and I have been worried about drying times.

dan paton

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 11:11:34 am »
it does seem like a lot of liquid to be putting on a damp carpet. 1 litre of concentrate = 4 litres in the sprayer and that covers 25sqm. Maybe someone can enlighten me as 4 litres for what is an average size front room seems a bit much or have I got it completely wrong. :)
Below is copy and pasted from a suppliers site.

Chemspec Stainshield Professional is a water based Carpet and Upholstery Protector. Use on all wet cleanable fabrics to offer protection against oil, water based and dry soils.

Dilution rate can be altered depending on the job in hand. Dilute with more, or less, water depending on the pile density, thickness, fibre type, dampness of the item being protected. Dilute only with sufficient water to cover/penetrate the fibres - thus reducing drying times and giving the operator more control. As a starting guide, dilute 4:1 for carpets and 2:1 for upholstery.

Each litre of concentrate covers approximately 25 square metres of carpet (5 litres of concentrate covers around 125 square metres). Very economical at just over 50p per square metre.

stuart_clark

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 02:24:24 pm »
Just been reading the Back of a stainsheild Professional it says 2.1 for upholstery and 4.1 for carpets!
I remember it use to say 8.1 for dry new carpets but they have taken that off now

Stuart

mark shannon

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 05:09:44 pm »
Yes I thought it was 2/1.

tim handley

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 05:56:50 pm »
how do you apply stainguard of any type without a spray applicator????? am i doing it wrong? ive only used nano protect from cornwall but the other one mentioned above sounds good, will give it a try.........