Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

heritagecleaning

Long shag pile
« on: November 11, 2014, 12:34:09 pm »

I have no idea with this. I've never seen one before and I don't know what I should do, apart from turn down the job of course.

Can you HWE this? I just get the impression the vacuum slit would constantly block and it would over-wet. The pile when stood up is about 45mm.

Any advice before I pass on it?

Cheers

Owen

Paul Moss

Re: Long shag pile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 01:14:02 pm »
You've answered your own question  ;)

maxcampbell

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 01:14:25 pm »
They're fine - you can get surprisingly good results. We'd pre-spray, we wouldn't scrub in, then we'd extract with fast-moving repeated wanding - a good work-out, then a repeat scrub-over dry, then a couple of snail-driers.

JandS

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 01:22:57 pm »
I'd be tempted to agitate gently using carpet brush.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

wayne zabel

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 01:31:07 pm »
I do a carpet like that every 6 months in a bedroom in a big posh house.

They have an En suite bathroom and a very big dressing room/walk in wardrobe and the traffic lane from/to both is a nightmare.I know it's clean but it never looks it.

Those carpets look good until they are walked on in the same place over a period of time.

lee_gundry

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 01:39:11 pm »
do lots of these using my rdm brill results quick dry.

Lee G
cumbria

Radek Jablonski

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 01:52:25 pm »
did about 5 like those, normal cleaning, with crb,
never did a speed drying after all and never had a call back, but if you like, dry it much is possible before go.

neil 47

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 01:54:47 pm »
If i didn't need the money I would avoid . If it is soiled it is near impossible to remove the soiling which means it gets over wet as the long fibres hold the moisture then take a age to dry , which in turn causes odour problems do you really want to mess about with fans and call backs if you do decide to do it charge with all that in mind .

Ps might be a quick spray agitate with rotary extract and gone .
IICRC

Hilton

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 03:05:55 pm »
They were all the rage years ago so you had to clean them,

Good tip we used to rake them with a garden rake, the one that you can expand out and in they looked great after.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 08:18:45 pm »
I usually walk on these especially if the customer asks "can you give it a once over" while I am there cleaning their living room. I need to prepare myself mentally for these!

First you'll need to vac it to death using your crevice tool on your hands and knees. Then rake it, then vac it. Vac, rake, vac, rake.... you get the idea.

Then normal hwe method using a hand tool.

Drying can be a pain in the harris though.

Even with all the vaccing, raking and hwe you'll never get rid of all the crap in the base of the pile. If the customer looks between the pile they'll see all the curd.

neil 47

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 08:36:35 pm »
  I need to prepare myself mentally for these!

[/quote}

Ive given up on them My mental state couldnt take it anymore , I just love saying dont do shaggy
IICRC

Mike Halliday

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 07:59:18 am »
I cleaned a rug of this last month in my unit, it took ages to dry and stunk.

Any rug or carpet with this length of pile has the risk of long drying times due to the solution getting really deep into the pile.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 09:27:27 am »
I agree with Mike, not quite as straight forward as it has been made to sound. You could probably do with a fan dryer on it with a turbo channel to speed dry it.
http://www.restormate.co.uk/epages/15094.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/15094/Products/DRI-F335A

Simon

Paul Moss

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 06:02:14 pm »
The problem is the cross matting at the base. I pass on all this type of carpet or rugs. Too much hard work for the money I'm afraid.
Mind you most on here clean for peanuts any way  :D

heritagecleaning

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 06:27:10 pm »
Thanks for the all the advice. I'll be passing on this one. Firstly the risks and secondly, as Paul points out, too much hard work for the money.

Paul Moss

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 08:28:36 pm »
Wise move.
I remember cleaning a rug similar in design many years ago. A lesson was learnt  :)

The base was ful of poope but the matting was so great that I had to vac every square inch using a wide type comb .... It took many hours to vac it before I could clean it. It was the hardest £60 I had earned in my life.

Like you have just done, it's easier to walk and get an easier job to do. ;)

heritagecleaning

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 10:10:13 pm »
I have another job with your Taski rotary at the weekend Paul - still going strong :)