Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Window Lickers

interesting response in more than one way.
« on: August 16, 2014, 02:07:37 pm »
We'll have to see how it pans out. Make sure you read from the bottom up.

Liberace's ex looking to meet well built men for cottaging meets.

p1w1

Re: interesting response in more than one way.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 02:30:49 pm »
exactly..you have to provide your bank details when signing up to paypal so i dont see how go cardless is any different, so i guess he's never ever brought anything online either  ???

SeanK

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 02:35:22 pm »
exactly..you have to provide your bank details when signing up to paypal so i dont see how go cardless is any different, so i guess he's never ever brought anything online either  ???

No you don't I have had a Paypal account for years and they don't have my bank account details.
Its paid through my credit card.

p1w1

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 03:24:32 pm »
exactly..you have to provide your bank details when signing up to paypal so i dont see how go cardless is any different, so i guess he's never ever brought anything online either  ???

No you don't I have had a Paypal account for years and they don't have my bank account details.
Its paid through my credit card.
ok what i meant was you have to provide your details of some type of payment account, bank account details if you want a confirmed address through paypal.

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 04:05:36 pm »
What he means is he can reverse the payment easily on PayPal and also maintains control when he decides to pay you.

We accept payment by PayPal and credit cards but the customer pays a 2.5% surcharge per transaction

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

8weekly

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 06:03:22 pm »
What he means is he can reverse the payment easily on PayPal and also maintains control when he decides to pay you.

We accept payment by PayPal and credit cards but the customer pays a 2.5% surcharge per transaction

Darran
Although you are in breach of Paypal's t&cs by charging extra unless they have changed in the last year or two.

PoleKing

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 06:25:29 pm »

Darran
Although you are in breach of Paypal's t&cs by charging extra unless they have changed in the last year or two.

That's only on an eBay purchase I think bud.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Window Lickers

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 06:47:47 pm »

Darran

That would actually be a 2 1/2% reduction if they didnt use PayPal. The fella I was in email conversation with accepted willingly a £2.00 increase for the privilege of payPal, which is obvously how he sees it. I'll settle for that.

Jonny 87

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 09:44:35 pm »

Darran

If that's the case then there is loads of big companies in breach of pay pals terms.

I charge 5% extra for PayPal. Big companies usually just charge 2%.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 10:10:46 pm »
Tell him. If he signs up. He gets a free tin foil hat.

8weekly

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 10:16:50 pm »

Darran

That's only on an eBay purchase I think bud.
I think you are right.
4.5 Non discouragement. In representations to your customers or in public communications, you agree not to mischaracterise or disparage PayPal as a payment method. You agree that you will only surcharge for the use of PayPal in compliance with any law applicable to you. You further agree that if you do charge a buyer any form of surcharge that you, and not PayPal, will inform the buyer of the requested charge. PayPal has no liability to any buyer where you have failed to inform the buyer of any surcharge. You acknowledge that if you are permitted to surcharge and your further fail to disclose any form of surcharge to a buyer this may constitute a criminal offence by you.

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 11:20:47 pm »
PayPal were (still are?) an eBay company, would you really trust a financial "banking" company run by eBay ?

Many, many years ago sellers used to charge 2% extra for payments made via PayPal as other forms of payment did not incur costs to the seller, eBay got the ar$€ with this as PayPal transactions were falling dramatically so sellers were banned from adding 2% on the price! those who did had their accounts suspended! over the years eBay have added in clauses that you must accept PayPal and even to the point some items can only be paid through PayPal

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Pete Thompson

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 11:56:50 pm »
Idiot bloke who has a jumped-up view of himself.  If he knew what he was talking about, he'd know that gocardless is not a "scheme" its a simple direct debit payment method.  If if you've never heard of it, 5 minutes reading their website tells you all you want to know.

I'd say to him, just because of his attitude, sure you can continue to use paypal, the surcharge will be £22 on top of the £22 for window cleaning.

PayPal have gotten way too big IMO, they have a virtual monopoly on online payment these days.

That would be ok if they didn't arbitrarily freeze your account or hold your funds "pending a security review" for absolutely no reason.

A guy I know had a paypal account he used every month for 2 years no problem.  He had an average balance of about £500 from selling on ebay, doing freelance work etc.

Then one day, out of the blue they closed his account and said that his funds were being held "pending a security review".

So he waited, then he emailed, then he called etc etc. (ever tried actually talking to someone at paypal? ha good luck)

9 months (yes 9 months!) later they emailed telling him his case had been elevated and would be resolved soon.  3 months after that they finally transferred the money to his bank account.  No apology, no explanation.

It wasn't just the £500 they held onto for so long, it was the fact that he couldn't use paypal for transactions all that time that was the real killer.  In his freelance buisness, clients always want to pay by paypal, so it was big problem.

Why have we allowed a faceless american company, that you can't contact when something goes wrong and is basically immune to regulation to become so deeply integrated into our society?

I, like most people, have to use paypal because for many things there's just no alternative.  But I never leave a balance on my account.  I withdraw it immediately, because I just don't trust them.

J.D

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 10:19:06 am »
The chap does sound a bit of a prat! We all get these kinds of customers from time to time! Personally I'd politely ask him if he would like me to find him another window cleaner!

Soupy

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 10:34:54 am »
Idiot bloke who has a jumped-up view of himself.  If he knew what he was talking about, he'd know that gocardless is not a "scheme" its a simple direct debit payment method.  If if you've never heard of it, 5 minutes reading their website tells you all you want to know.

I'd say to him, just because of his attitude, sure you can continue to use paypal, the surcharge will be £22 on top of the £22 for window cleaning.

PayPal have gotten way too big IMO, they have a virtual monopoly on online payment these days.

That would be ok if they didn't arbitrarily freeze your account or hold your funds "pending a security review" for absolutely no reason.

A guy I know had a paypal account he used every month for 2 years no problem.  He had an average balance of about £500 from selling on ebay, doing freelance work etc.

Then one day, out of the blue they closed his account and said that his funds were being held "pending a security review".

So he waited, then he emailed, then he called etc etc. (ever tried actually talking to someone at paypal? ha good luck)

9 months (yes 9 months!) later they emailed telling him his case had been elevated and would be resolved soon.  3 months after that they finally transferred the money to his bank account.  No apology, no explanation.

It wasn't just the £500 they held onto for so long, it was the fact that he couldn't use paypal for transactions all that time that was the real killer.  In his freelance buisness, clients always want to pay by paypal, so it was big problem.

Why have we allowed a faceless american company, that you can't contact when something goes wrong and is basically immune to regulation to become so deeply integrated into our society?

I, like most people, have to use paypal because for many things there's just no alternative.  But I never leave a balance on my account.  I withdraw it immediately, because I just don't trust them.

I agree with that. Mostly. However PayPal are actually pretty easy to contact.

I sold a car a few months ago the guy paid via PayPal, I checked my account - funds there, filled in the v5 and away he goes. Literary as I watched him drive off my phone goes off - message from PayPal - payment suspended pending security review.

I phoned PayPal - surprisingly easy - they told me it was because the payment was larger than usual and I'd have to wait 48 hours for it to be reviewed. Very nervy 48 hours.

Window Lickers

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 10:31:25 pm »
Thats 5 signed up over the weekend. Just from an email push. Including one that I doubted very much whether they'd want to but got the confirmation email from GoCardless just now about them.

Jonny 87

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 10:47:23 pm »
Have go cardless sorted out the issue where if you don't have the customers email address you do to know who they are?

Does it give a street name and number for example?
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

PoleKing

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 10:52:14 pm »
Have go cardless sorted out the issue where if you don't have the customers email address you do to know who they are?

Does it give a street name and number for example?

You will have the customers email address though-it'll be on your dashboard.
If you don't know who they are-just email 'em.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

8weekly

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 06:04:19 am »
Idiot bloke who has a jumped-up view of himself.  If he knew what he was talking about, he'd know that gocardless is not a "scheme" its a simple direct debit payment method.  If if you've never heard of it, 5 minutes reading their website tells you all you want to know.

A guy I know had a paypal account he used every month for 2 years no problem.  He had an average balance of about £500 from selling on ebay, doing freelance work etc.

9 months (yes 9 months!) later they emailed telling him his case had been elevated and would be resolved soon.  3 months after that they finally transferred the money to his bank account.  No apology, no explanation.

It wasn't just the £500 they held onto for so long, it was the fact that he couldn't use paypal for transactions all that time that was the real killer.  In his freelance buisness, clients always want to pay by paypal, so it was big problem.

I, like most people, have to use paypal because for many things there's just no alternative.  But I never leave a balance on my account.  I withdraw it immediately, because I just don't trust them.

I agree with that. Mostly. However PayPal are actually pretty easy to contact.

I sold a car a few months ago the guy paid via PayPal, I checked my account - funds there, filled in the v5 and away he goes. Literary as I watched him drive off my phone goes off - message from PayPal - payment suspended pending security review.

I phoned PayPal - surprisingly easy - they told me it was because the payment was larger than usual and I'd have to wait 48 hours for it to be reviewed. Very nervy 48 hours.
That was bravery verging on reckless to take PayPal on a car sale. Expensive too.

Soupy

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 11:18:45 am »
That was bravery verging on reckless to take PayPal on a car sale. Expensive too.

He covered the cost. I opened my PayPal account and saw the available funds before I gave him the keys. I've taken lots of payments this way, never had them take the payment back for a 'security review' before.