Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Windiesweep

Smooth glass
« on: February 28, 2014, 08:36:42 am »
I've noticed that some windows are left with a rough feel when I detail with the micro-fibre and others are as smooth as...
I've tried a scraper, I've tried an ultra-fine wire wool pad, but nothing seems to get that resistance off the glass.
I'm not sure what causes it or how to get rid of it, there doesn't seem to be any visible residdue; however, if I wipe a slightly damp cloth across the glass I can see what look like old water traces just briefly before the water dries.

I don't think it's a major issue as custies haven't said anything yet, but I'm a bit of a stickler for doing a 'proper job' and don't like leaving with the knowledge that I could have done a better job.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated,

Windiesweep
Today is the day to be the person you always wanted to be...it's a choice

Tom White

Re: Smooth glass
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 09:00:50 am »
I think you may have OCD tendencies.  Just clean the window to a reasonable standard; most customers don't even check 'em, especially once you've been going a few years - you clean, they trust you and they pay.

What may happen is that you get overly fussy, it'll slow you down, you won't earn much and you'll be working your nads off; you'll end up frustrated (and skint) and jack it in.

H20cleaning

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 09:11:28 am »
Just clean your own windows with it, if the water is fine then the job
You do should be ok 99% of the time

mikeyfaerosyth

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 09:16:19 am »
Just give the ledges a quick wipe and put a ticket through if there out.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 10:12:22 am »
This is the difference between water hating and water loving glass.

Nothing to be concerned about, just crack on.

rosskesava

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 04:24:19 pm »
Forget what the glass surface is like or what the glass looks like for that brief second after wiping it with a damp cloth, if the glass looks clean after it's been cleaned, then it's clean.

It's as simple as that.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

James Bulton

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 05:40:56 pm »
WINDYSWEEP: Don`t lend you ears to the nutters on here. What you have felt is the start of oxide( mercuric, calcium or lead oxide) a  build up in the glass. Mainly coming of the rendered wall and also the cement used to build between the bricks.I have seen this many times and make  good buck from removing it. It can look as if its hydrophobic glass as water will not stick to it.The product to use is Doctor Power.Apply it with the sponge which it comes with and rub is circles and if after 3/4 minutes of rubbing rinse of and check the results. It might need more. I don`t do its as part of my window cleaning service but draw my customers  attention to it  and offer it as a restoration service. I tell the customer it will get worse and might even need the glass to be replaced if left to progress to far.I have had some so bad I needed to use a machine to get it off. But in this case its so bad you can see and feel it on the glass. Many say its lime scale which it is not as lime scale can be washed off as its a soft scale were this is a hard oxidized mark.I find it a lot on new builds after 6 months were the plaster was gun applied render onto the brick work.