Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jenny Slater

Marks on the edges of carpets
« on: March 20, 2006, 02:16:20 pm »
I have come across a light colour carpet that had a dark greyish mark all around the edge next to the skirting.  It was like, the vacuum didn't reach the edge of the carpet and the funnel hadn't been used to get to the edges.  Any suggestions as to the best way to clean such marks?

Re: Marks on the edges of carpets
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 02:26:33 pm »
This is known as draught marking, it is the movement of air passing through the carpet and depositing the air born soil into the carpet.  The best way to clean it is using Prochem Ultrapac renovate or Heavy Duty Soil Lifter from Chemspec.  That is what I have used.  However these are very difficult to remove and will come back.  They take ages and require alot of agitiation. 

In order to stop them coming back the carpet needs to be lifted and any gaps between the skirting and floor to be sealed with decorators caulk and then reffiting the carpet.

Jenny Slater

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 02:33:11 pm »
Superb.  Thanks.

John Kelly

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 03:06:54 pm »
Darren

Silicone sealant is better than caulk as it doesn't crack. Sometimes it is just dirt which has settled round the edges that the vacuum cleaner doesn't reach. These ones tend to be a Grey colour whereas draught marking is a darker, usually black staining.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 03:18:35 pm »
Cheers John,

Will recommend silicone now.

Darren

Chris R

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 03:24:59 pm »
A fact sheet,

print off a few and give to customers

http://www.designcare.co.uk/new_page_4.htm
Staffordshire

Liahona

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 03:32:22 pm »
Darren and Jenny. It is called a variety of things, I have always known of it as filter dust or filtration soiling. Anyway it is not caused by air bourne dust, quite the opposite actually. Hot air rises as we know and what it is is the dust from under the floor boards or in the walls or wherever it may be being drawn through the carpet to the warmer room, therefore the name filter as the textile is acting as a filter. This you will sometimes see around the edges where a kicker or power stretcher has been used, also sometimes just in the middle of a room for no apparent reason till you lift the carpet and find a hole of some sort. Blocks of flats and staircases are the worse for this type of soiling.... Anyway you are quite right in the way to remedy the situation but beware it is a pain in the bum to fix and without sealing the "draught" it will always come back. Not only that but as you apply suction to the soil you actually make things worse or can do as you are just pulling more soil out from the cavities so to speak, hope this helps, best, Dave.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 03:39:13 pm »
I did a job last week with really bad F/S but I got most of it out by scrubbing it to death then using my handtool, the problem was i did too good a job ::) ::)

I could'nt get the rest of the carpet as clean as the edging, the carpet looked like it had ben framedwith a lighter coloured carpet!

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Liahona

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 03:39:43 pm »
Sorry, having just read from the design care site they do mention that airboure dust does create the same problem, however this is where doors when shut meet the carpet, not around the edges as you suggested your problem lays.

Liahona

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 03:41:36 pm »
Mike, glad I am not the only one who has done that. I am glad now I dont clean carpets that are dirty anymore, best, Dave.