Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Luc

Bubble carpet
« on: January 07, 2014, 06:47:15 pm »
A friend started a cleaning company last year and she has been quite successful until a couple of days ago. She was removing chewing gum off a glued down carpet in a small private hotel using a solvent she has brought from somewhere and the carpet has literally bubbled up in several places. I have not seen it yet but I'm going to look tom for her? Is there any way I could rectify it for her. I felt like telling off for using a solvent but she has learnt the hard way and is really upset.
In the past I've used a carpet syringe and injected glue and restuck the bulge down. Would I approach this in the same way?
Any advice would be great
Luc

Red_Panda

Re: Bubble carpet
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 07:10:39 pm »
That's what I'd try first. If that doesn't work, cut a line inbetween the rows using a trace cutter. Careful you dont get glue on the pile. David.

peter maybury

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:25:50 pm »
If it is a gel back carpet then the backing has quite likely distorted. A secondary backed carpet might have delaminated. Need to know what solvent and what backing. As said before there are many different solvents with different properties and uses, you need to know what to use on what.
Saying ' a solvent' is being very vague.
If the backing or floor has been contaminated with any oil based solution then you will have difficulty in getting any adhesion anyways.
Peter

John Kelly

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 10:43:09 pm »
This why when using solvents you need to apply them to a cloth first rather than pour them onto the carpet. On substances which require a lot of product such as chewing gum, citrus gel type products are much safer.