Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Neil Jones

FSB
« on: January 04, 2014, 02:17:47 pm »
Who is a member? Is it worth it? Considering signing up this year as I have a few staff now and it would help me, I think!

Also who is a gold member? What are the added benefits for savings from blue chip companies, just interested as it doesn't say on the site.

John Kelly

Re: FSB
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 03:58:20 pm »
Hi Neil I am a member and have been for about 8 years. Over the last year I have been participating in the local branch and must say it has been really worthwhile, not personally for business reasons as there aren't many potential customers for my products whereas if I was cleaning there would be. But its good to talk to other small business owners who on the whole have the same problems and challenges as carpet cleaners.
The social events have been really good, the local AGM was a laugh and one of the local members who imports Portuguese wine did a wine tasting session which was good but far too much wine followed by a cracking roast dinner, all free. I was also allowed to take guests so took 2 friends along with their wives and it was one of best nights of last year.
I only joined because of the free legal and the fact they will provide 3k worth of help for any tax investigation. I would however advise to get involved in the social events as they are good fun and you meet a whole strata of people from plumbers, florists, to accountants buts is no pressure unlike BNN and the likes. The magazine as well is full of really helpful advice and keeps you up to date with all the latest legislation. Like last weeks where it told me the EU are trying to standardise VAT returns across the EU. They want them to be Monthly, only for large companies at first but we all know it eventually filters down. More meddling and extra work from these beurocratic arsholes.

Tony Stewart

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 04:55:47 pm »
Hi Neil
I am a member also and have been for 6 years. I joined and for the free legal helpline which I have used a couple of times and have found it really useful. Remember that you personally are covered as a member no matter how many businesses you have which can be useful if carpet cleaning is part time for anyone.
Like John I did not bother with the FSB until there was a seminar on Procurement for Staffordshire and went along to see if I could understand how the county council procured carpet cleaning. They have a free dinner thrown in at these events and you can get to speak to some top guys.( Staffs have a policy of only using businesses that are based in their area).
It's quite an underrated membership and I went to another branch meeting and got a job straight away from it. Some go there for the social aspect and like anywhere some obviously don't get out much. When you say you are a (humble) carpet cleaner they know exactly what you do (cos in may case it matches what I have on my shirt!) and they are either interested or not..simples really.
Starts at the bottom likes it and stays there

Peter Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 03:43:30 pm »
Thats a good answer John, am joining myself

P

Neil Jones

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 06:02:19 pm »
Thank you John and Tony. I think I will be joining now and I will try to take part in anything local-ish to me.

Thanks for the advice.

John Kelly

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 01:34:37 pm »
I attended my second branch meeting last night. We have arranged a networking evening for a night in February. This will be informal with a buffet and we will be inviting a few guests to advise on various subjects. Also a breakfast meeting with the leader and deputy leader of Newcastle city council, this is for members with businesses under their juristriction. People were asked for questions they wanted answers to and 2 of these were a new traffic scheme in Gosforth where all the traders and residents are against but the council are still ploughing ahead. This is a dying high street and they are going to use half of the existing car park to create a filter lane and block off all the residential streets and making a red route with no stopping only for busses, madness. The other question was why does the council not have any new business start up strategy whatsoever. As usual they'll squirm their way out of answering. We have also arranged a social event for July which is going to be clay pigeon shooting along with a barbecue which should be a good day. Guests are allowed so another good opportunity for networking.

The legal helpline isn't a gimmick but a full blown service which I believe costs 6.5m a year to the Federation. A number of people I have spoken too have made good use of this service. I have used but just on a minor scale regarding the lease on our premises but the info was helpfull.

Neil Jones

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 05:53:10 pm »
Even if you get nothing from it business wise by the sounds of it John you get to go out for a few events and meet like minded people, plus have a few beers which is always a bonus  ;D

garry22

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 06:50:19 pm »
I joined years ago on the advice of my accountant. It was basically a lot of protection for small businesses.

He said that if HMRC ever did full investigations, then a small firm like his would find it hard to put the time in. At the time, the FB gave £ 50,000 of cover towards legal / accounting costs. That may well have been increased now.