Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Matt Hepple

Literally just starting out
« on: December 14, 2013, 08:51:34 pm »
 ;D I am literally just starting out in the Christchurch Dorset area.

1. What is the best start up equipment
2. Where can I get hands on training ( I will work for free to get the desired training)
3. I have contracts in Feb,March and in April and May already commercial and residential.
4. Insurance requirements
5. I am an old Pest Controller/commercial cleaner
6. Best prices for products and best supplier
7. Working relationships
8. Anything else that!

All thoughts considered.....

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: Literally just starting out
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 08:59:42 pm »
Get training then you'll get loads of question properly answered by people not on a forum as all you'll get is opinions, some answers here are for more experienced cleaners you need to start at the beginning so you can understand what you are cleaning and why you are doing it that way.

Shaun

Ps There are so many suppliers that you'll find the ones you favour.

Robin Ray

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 09:12:08 pm »
You will need a machine with two vacs and at least 130 psi if you decide to buy new you can often get training as part of the deal. I can personally vouch that prochem and ashbys training are enough to get you started.

You will need loads of other stuff but if you do some research by using the search facility on this site you can find all you need to know.

Sounds like you are doing well already with getting the work in, which of course is the most important thing. All the best with the new venture. Rob

cleanability

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 10:17:43 pm »
It aint rocket science like this site portrays. Best advice is, if you're unsure dont do it. And just use common sense. This site will frighten you if you take it too serious. It frightens me sometimes and I been carpet cleaning 15 years.

Chris

tim handley

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 12:10:20 pm »
you might want to google "solutions"   in cornwall, machines, training and chems,  there are loads of other suppliers but they arent too far from you, also look at clean smart in nottingham, these are two suppliers i use and who have very much helped me get started.......  training is key as is marketing........... lots of advice/technical knowledge availible on forums but you also need to get on some courses before going into your customers houses/premises!   hours and hours of reading on the forums can help as well........... 

neil 47

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 12:32:52 pm »
It aint rocket science like this site portrays. Best advice is, if you're unsure dont do it. And just use common sense. This site will frighten you if you take it too serious. It frightens me sometimes and I been carpet cleaning 15 years.

Chris

I,m with Chris being a salesman and marketing are the most import things
IICRC

Steve Chapman

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 12:51:10 pm »
"you might want to google "solutions"   in cornwall, machines, training and chems,  there are loads of other suppliers but they arent too far from you"

I think you'll find Bournemouth to Cornwall is 150 to 200 miles away ?

tim handley

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 01:11:49 pm »
really,   geography aint my strong point, to me its just all down south!!!!!!!!! ;D so its a good two hour/two and a half hour drive then, not the end of the world is it???

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 02:00:29 pm »
But how can you advise properly if you don't put training at the top of the list?

I've learned more on a training course on how things work and why and not to do than just doing it to see what happens, leather cleaning is a fantastic example.

Shaun

Steve Chapman

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 02:21:53 pm »
I wasnt being picky Tim  :) there are a few suppliers nearer like Craftex in Yeovil, in fact prob quicker to go to woodbridge in London than Cornwall.

Steve

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 02:39:56 pm »
I wasnt being picky Tim  :) there are a few suppliers nearer like Craftex in Yeovil, in fact prob quicker to go to woodbridge in London than Cornwall.

Steve

Or even better to support a forum advertiser like CleanSmart or Restormate?

tim handley

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 02:41:17 pm »
local knowledge.........    no worries........................!!!!   im just commenting on those i have personally dealt with .......

tim handley

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 02:43:29 pm »
as a new start up, clean smart and restormate have both been very very good for me, as have solutions.....................

CarPete Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 07:32:33 am »
Hi Matt,

I am Poole based, and would be happy to meet up with you and pass on any knowledge I can.  You could even come out with me on a couple of jobs if you wanted (after Christmas).  I run a truckmount, but also use portables, rotaries etc.  Call me on 07941 320177.

Cheers,
Pete
Pete Callis
Affordable Quality
www.carpetecleaning.com
NCCA m2102

Russ Chadd

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 07:38:27 pm »
Why not approach this lot... Looks like they know how to make money real fast!
http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Cold-calling-carpet-cleaners-leave-vulnerable/story-18802350-detail/story.html

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 01:05:40 pm »
One thing that newbies tend to completely overlook is the business side of being a professional carpet cleaner. You are first and foremost a business person and that alone requires a wide range of skills and knowledge, so if you haven't been in business before I would suggest you spend a lot of time looking at the business aspects. You should have a well enough worked out financial plan that shows you to the nearest penny how much both your fixed and variable expenses are and have thought about all of the overheads and expenses your business will incur, regardless of whether you are busy or not. And most importantly of all you should know where your breakeven point is and what sales per week you need to achieve that, which in it's own right shows you the sales, advertising and marketing input you will need to make from day one in order to stay afloat. It is highly unlikely that you will go from zero to breakeven point any time soon, so you need to have a contingency fund sufficient to support your business until it can stand financially on its own, underestimate any of the above and you'll be on a hiding to nothing.
I wish you luck.

Simon

*Hector*

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 03:33:48 pm »
One thing that newbies tend to completely overlook is the business side of being a professional carpet.
Simon

And what sort of professional carpet are you Simon??

Shag pile perhaps??

;D ;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Simon Gerrard

*Hector*

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 05:21:13 pm »
Git!!

;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(