Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Andrew44

Overflow pipe / kit or similar for IBC
« on: September 13, 2013, 05:26:42 pm »
I forgot to turn pump and tap off when filling up IBC in shed.  Is there a DIY hit or similar that I can get  to fit over flow pipe?  I can drill hole in side at top but really need some flange to ensure water tight seal.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Andrew 

8weekly

Re: Overflow pipe / kit or similar for IBC
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 05:37:43 pm »
http://www.purefreedom.co.uk/auto-shut-off-kit-p-686.html

I will be buying one myself when I move house and fit an IBC.

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 05:58:01 pm »
You can use a simple toilet ball float valve for £4 or so drill 19mm hole (standard plumbing size) and fit the kit should come with flanges etc...

It won't turn off the pump but will stop overflowing of the tank and you can set a timer on the pump

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

dannymack

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 06:00:55 pm »
Just fit a booster pump with electronic cut out !!!

Andrew44

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 06:03:42 pm »
Thanks for that.  

I was really after something more basic  -  just an overflow outlet pipe in side of tank.  If I get a pipe and drill a hole in the side the seal will not be water tight so wanted a kit or any suggestions on what I'd need ie flange?  

Thanks any way.      

Andrew44

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 06:04:47 pm »
that reply was to 8 weekly.
Thanks guys I'll have a look at suggestions.

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 06:18:27 pm »
Go with Smithy`s Super  Savie and grow rich, route from e bay and the some wire its 12 volt so safe mount the float on a long piece of wood and stand it upright in side the lid of the tank.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAFLO-Bilge-Pump-Float-Switch-12V-24V-or-32V-for-Boat-Yacht-blue-/180964568683?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item2a22542e6b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-Electric-Solenoid-Magnetic-Valve-for-Pressure-Solar-Water-Heater-UK-/400379332726?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=670056914411&hash=item5d3877c876

Wise buying from Smithy`s Super  Saving  bargain corner. ;D ;D ;D you can save 55 quid on the top price...

Andrew44

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 07:24:58 pm »
spruce

yes that';s the thing I was after. :)

Cheers

andrew

dannymack

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 10:04:18 am »
Them bits are ok but he got a pump all they will do is stop the water but his pump will keep going and will eventually burn out !!!

home6442

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 10:37:55 am »
Am I reading this wrong but are you talking about an overflow to get rid of filtered
water. Sound like a bit of a waste to me.
Get a plug in electrical timer then plug the pump into it.
Work out how long it takes to fill the tank set the timer and then the pump will stop before the tank overflows.

Spruce

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 06:12:26 pm »
Am I reading this wrong but are you talking about an overflow to get rid of filtered
Work out how long it takes to fill the tank set the timer and then the pump will stop before the tank overflows.

That's true, but an r/o takes longer to process water the colder the water gets. I tried to process water into my trailer over night and often either overfilled it or underfilled it.

The overflow is just in case he forgets to switch the water off. A flooded shed or garage takes ages to dry out. It's a good safety precaution.

Our overflow on our tank hasn't been needed once in 6 years. We have a float valve in the tank that operates an on/off solenoid valve. But its there if something goes wrong.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Andrew44

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 09:59:48 am »

The overflow is just in case he forgets to switch the water off.

Correct.

It has happened twice in three years.  It's my insurance policy just I forgot or my timing it out by a few minutes.  I have a booster pump so auto timing that off wont stop the water being processed just reduced the flow.