Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ascjim

Gardiner end caps
« on: September 11, 2013, 04:50:06 pm »
Its great that the gardiner end caps don't fall off while working unlike other poles.

But when I need to take it off I struggle! Any tips? It's a CL-X 2 and ive tried hot water :(

Alex Gardiner

Re: Gardiner end caps
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 05:01:38 pm »
Its great that the gardiner end caps don't fall off while working unlike other poles.

But when I need to take it off I struggle! Any tips? It's a CL-X 2 and ive tried hot water :(

They can be quite stiff when new, as you say better than falling off in use.

To remove the first time, pour a kettle of boiling water over the cap and then it will pull off. Before putting back on it is then worth drying the base of the section off and spraying with dry-film PTFE lubricant which will stop the plastic cap surface forming such a snug bond with the carbon fibre surface. This will then help in removing it in the future.

ascjim

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 07:42:31 pm »
I must be doing something wrong, I've tried the kettle trick and it still won't budge :(

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 08:32:47 pm »
I must be doing something wrong, I've tried the kettle trick and it still won't budge :(

Try filling a container with boiling water and holding the end of the pole with the cap on it into this for 30 seconds or more and try again.

Usually the kettle will sort it if there is an issue.

It is a new model CLX? The older models had glued on end-caps.

ascjim

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 08:54:11 pm »
I did try that. I ordered it 24/5/2013 so it should be the new one :-/

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 09:04:22 pm »
In this case the only thing I can think of is to cut the old one off and we will send you a replacement one.

Can you email me your details so that I can get this arranged for you.

ben M

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:08:48 pm »
no need glue, electrical tape at the bottom of the pole, the end cap hold very well and still easy to remove when needed  ;)

ascjim

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 12:36:22 pm »
I finally got the old end cap off (hammer and chisel) I spayed the end and the new cap with pfte spray and also soaked the new end cap in boiling hot water to soften it up.

Cant get the new one off with out a kettle :-/ how does everyone do it?? 

andyM

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 12:42:02 pm »
I finally got the old end cap off (hammer and chisel) I spayed the end and the new cap with pfte spray and also soaked the new end cap in boiling hot water to soften it up.

Cant get the new one off with out a kettle :-/ how does everyone do it?? 

I needed to remove the end cap on my pole the other day to add 2 extra sections for a once a month job.
The cap was unusually tight and I couldn't remove it by hand, so I got a flat screw driver and applied pressure to the end cap as if pushing it towards the end of the pole, I did this in several different spots around the circumference of the end cap.
It began to move slowly and I was then able to remove it by hand, with no damage to the pole or end cap.
One of the Plebs