Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Adrian Makel

leather suites
« on: June 08, 2005, 09:04:12 am »
at the moment i don`t clean leather suites,but am thinking about starting.Just have some questions you may be able to help me with.

on average how long would clean take?
what sort of price should i charge?
What is the best course i could take?

Cheers......Adrian

Re: leather suites
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 09:16:11 am »
adrianeasypey
listen,learn.and benefit. try. reward.and love, peace harmony.feng shui. and all that. it improves ones selling .to ones customers.reap THE HARVEST WHILST YOU CAN. and try to crush the opposition.

John_McGavin

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 09:26:12 am »
Hi Adrian, I'll give you a proper reply eh  ;)

Firstly training is a must. I attended a Prochem course which was ok but if you contact Judy at Leather & Technical they run a course specifically for leather care. Their No is 01423 881027.

Takes me anything between 90 mins to 3 hours depending on what im cleaning. Once youve been trained and you know what type of leather you are dealing with it's really quite easy.

Prices vary between different areas so phone round and get an idea of what everyone else is charging then charge what YOU think your service is worth.

Good luck
John, Falkirk, Scotland

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 09:28:36 am »
the problem in leather it the colour is sprayed on be carefull pm for advice
listen,learn.and benefit. try. reward.and love, peace harmony.feng shui. and all that. it improves ones selling .to ones customers.reap THE HARVEST WHILST YOU CAN. and try to crush the opposition.

mark_roberts

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 03:46:08 pm »
I only clean the cheaper easy cleaned suites as i too have only been trained by Prochem.

They are easy enough except when the grain is worn flat and the dirt it trapped underneath.  Makes cream suites look rubbish.

Usually 3 hours for a cream 5 seater suite but feels like 10 hours :'(.

Find your hourly rate and multipy by 3 for pricing.

Mark

Adrian Makel

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 03:52:38 pm »
Thanks for adviceThink i will get myself on a course.

Len Gribble

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 06:51:33 pm »
Adrian

A wise man!

I don’t do this type of cleaning yet! :(

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Adrian Makel

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 06:58:09 pm »
has to be worth it,as i have recently discovered 65-70% of new suites purchased are leather.Anyway its another string to the bow isn`t it. ;) :) :-* :D 8) ;D

Ian Rochester

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 07:23:56 pm »
I've been cleaning leather for the last couple of years, did the Extracta course which taught me the basics of the types of leather and cleaning process (singular)

After encountering the odd problem along the way, I decided further knowledge was required and I have therefore just spent two VERY WORTHWHILE days last month with Andy and Judy at Harrogate. Not only are they very nice people, they are also very knowledgable and willing to impart that knowledge on to anyone who is interested, for a small fee of course!!

Expect to fork out around £1000 for the course and getting set up with what you need.

Without a doubt the best short course I have been on for a very long time, there is a hell of a lot to take in and even more to worry about afterwards!!

Did two leather suites today and got another lined up for tomorrow, also got a full aniline recolour lined up for the end of the month.  It is harder work than doing material suites and the risks of f**king up are far greater.  However, charge accordingly, I'm not going to give you a price as prices vary greatly from area to area and from person to person, but as a rule of thumb charge around 1.5 times what you charge for fabric suites.  I find the time it takes to clean is roughly the same as fabric.

Adrian Makel

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 07:27:06 pm »
That is the course i am going on,and after reading that i am all the more keen to get started.thanks...Adrian

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 09:20:02 pm »
Cleaned 6 small armchairs today for £40 each took under 2 hours there is good money in leather but you MUST do the LTT course, I did and im now a LTT trained technician So there.
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

Adrian Makel

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 07:17:25 am »
well good for you nick ;Dam definately going to do course though as you can never have too much knowledge :P

Derek_Walker

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 06:37:45 pm »
Hi Adrian,

You have had some sound advice from those above and I can only echo what has already been said,
I took the LTT course and can honestly say it was money well spent. They will teach you all about the different types of leather and the pitfalls etc. Also colour matching and repairs.

Andy & Judy are nice people with a vast knowledge of leather cleaning and will be at the end of the phone with technical help if required.

Good Luck