Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Chris Bailey

wood veneered laminate
« on: February 24, 2006, 09:12:41 am »
Hi All

We do a domestic clean where the lounge/dinner has a wood veneered laminate.

We usually just give it a vac and light damp mop with a detergent solution.

Our customer has asked us if we can "do something else to help the veneer"

Anyone got any ideas on what else we can/should be doing.

Thank

Chris
Carpet Care

Leicester

Re: wood veneered laminate
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 05:22:38 pm »
…Our customer has asked us if we can "do something else to help the veneer"

Thank

Chris

My parents have had a parquet floor for over 20 years now.  All you can do to make it look nice again is ask a builder to sand and varnish the floor. ;D Funny, but I am not kidding.

CMS

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 05:32:12 pm »
That's OK with a 'real wood' floor but not with a laminate. You'd tear it to bits.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 06:09:43 pm »
As I understood we are talking about this kind of floor?

CMS

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 06:25:45 pm »
I guess they are OK to sand but they're not what I understand to be 'Laminate floors'. I really wouldn't like to try and sand one.

Laminate flooring consists of four main components that are bonded together. A wear resistant decorative surface made of resin based melamine/aluminum oxide. This material is bonded to a moisture resistant wood composition based core. A balancing backing is bonded to the underside of the core. On the top is a clear cap sheet of Aluminum Oxide, which provides the protection and stain resistance.

CMS

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 06:28:18 pm »
Cleaning and Maintaining
Because laminate floors are so dense, they are easy to keep clean. Most, if not all, polishes will not stick to their surface area. All that is really required is vacuuming, dust mopping, and maybe a damp towel at times. Most brands carry a 10 to 25 year residential warranty against staining, wearing, and fading. They are designed to look good for many years with a minimum of effort.

While laminates are meant to stand up to wear, they keep a new look if you follow these simple tricks:

Vacuum or dust mop to remove loose dirt or grit.
Damp mop using warn water; do not saturate floor.
Change water as necessary to keep clean.
Do not use polishes or waxes
Never clean with abrasives, scouring powder or steel wool.
Wipe up spills immediately.
Avoid allowing any liquids to stand on your floor - including your pets water bowl
Dirt is the primary enemy of laminates floors. Walking over time causes fine scratches that lead to dullness and larger particles of sand or rocks cause visible scratches. A couple of tricks here include:

Glides or cushion bottom protectors under chairs and table legs to prevent possible scratching
Floor mats and foot brushes to pick up dirt at all outside doorway entrances
Regular vacuuming and dust mopping to keep grit off the floor.
If your laminate scratches, you may be able to buy a touch up stick from the manufacturer.  The repaired area is often invisible plus it will hold up to traffic and wear just like the rest of your floor.

In the event damage is more severe (which is unlikely to happen in most homes) it is possible for a trained professional to replace a plank. Done properly, the new plank should be almost indistinguishable from the rest.

Spots
Oil, paint, permanent marker, tar, rubber heel marks use a neutral cleaner on a clean light colored cloth or nail polish remover if needed
Blood, fruit juice, wine, beer, soda pop, pasta sauce
Warm water and/or a neutral cleaner on a clean light colored cloth.
Candle wax, chewing gum
First harden with ice, then very gently scrape. Wipe with warm water on a clean light colored cloth.

diamond-domestics

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 08:47:27 pm »
CMS is absolutely correct - my husband's job is a laminate and wooden flooring fitter and that is how he advises his customers to look after their flooring.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 04:01:36 pm »
…Our customer has asked us if we can "do something else to help the veneer"

Thank

Chris

My parents have had a parquet floor for over 20 years now.  All you can do to make it look nice again is ask a builder to sand and varnish the floor. ;D Funny, but I am not kidding.

::) I guess I was wrong to suggest that  ::)

:-[

Just found some interesting info about restoring wood floors.

Don't forget, there is good money to be made restoring wood floors. I'm not talking about cheap Formica laminates but any floor with a genuine wood top layer.
The protective finish on these wears over time and needs replacing before the underlying timber is exposed.

It is not hard to do as you only need to apply a chemical sander to the floor allow to work, mop off, allow to dry and apply finish coat. Rates £20-25 square metre.

Kind regards,
Arthur