Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

John Kelly

Stain removal
« on: March 21, 2013, 08:19:15 am »
I hear a lot of people saying they don't have much success with stains. There are some excellent products on the market to deal with stains, however these products are designed to deal with the chemistry of the stain.
The big problem is that the customer has usually made some attempt at removing the stain by using god knows what from under the kitchen sink.
Because of this that stain has now changed out of all recognition chemically to what it was originally. Take a tea, coffee or red wine stain which if left alone would be acidic. Sodium met such as shift or spray n go, other acidic products are ideal for removing these type of stains. But if the custy has used something like vanish or 1001 that stain is no longer acidic but highly alkaline. You then spray your acidic stain remover on to it an it is immediately neutralised by the alkalinity.
When I did stain removal for the insurance companies I tested every stain with PH paper to determine what I was dealing with. Customers lie because I would say 90% of the ones who told me they hadn't touched it obviuosly had.
If a alkaline cleaner has been used then it is a good idea to flush the stain thoroughly with either plain water or fabric rinse. This will then give you a fighting chance of removing the stain. Trying to remove the stain whilst it is full of detergent is a lot harder.

david@zap-clean

Re: Stain removal
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 08:25:48 am »
Someone could write an iPhone app...

It would prompt the user for all the relevant data (fabric type/pH etc etc), and then give a foolproof cleaning method.

...maybe it's not as daft as it sounds...
David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com

John Kelly

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 08:27:25 am »
Funny you should say that. Woolsafe won an award at the cleaning show on Tuesday for their new app showing people how to remove stains with woolsafe products and with links to woolsafe approved cleaners.

david@zap-clean

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 08:31:05 am »
 >:( There goes my business idea...

Sell app for £10 x 6,000 ccers (in UK alone) = £60,000 (in first year).
Expand to USA and the world in 2014 = retire in 2015.
David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com

John Kelly

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 08:40:45 am »
Never mind David, think of something else :)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 09:01:34 am »
I think people just need to read the instruction on the bottles, most say rinse stain before use, before you start hitting it with spray & go or sod met rinse out the stain, often you will be amazed how just this can Improve  the stain.

The stain remover cannot have an adverse reaction with what the customer has used if it is rinsed out before the product comes into contact with stain.

On the NCCA STAIN REMOVAL COURSE the first removal step was reactivate the stain ( take it back to a liquid state)  I think Derek B used plain white  vinegar 
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

*Hector*

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 09:55:16 am »
Funny you should say that. Woolsafe won an award at the cleaning show on Tuesday for their new app showing people how to remove stains with woolsafe products and with links to woolsafe approved cleaners.

would that include vanish ??
 :o
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

robert meldrum

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 10:42:05 am »
According to their current TV advertising that would be a YES !

garyhumphreys

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 05:10:54 pm »
Had a look at the app. Not particularly informative really. Thought it was a bit lacking tbh