Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave Garrett

Trickle charge
« on: December 15, 2012, 01:00:04 pm »
Have pure freedom set up and split relay to recharge battery tested the input going into black box on top of battery 12v &  nothing coming out though ...opened unit up and it has a pc card type thing inside could this be blown ? has anyone else one of these what are they called ? cant see them on pure freedom site

Spruce

Re: Trickle charge
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 04:07:25 pm »
Have pure freedom set up and split relay to recharge battery tested the input going into black box on top of battery 12v &  nothing coming out though ...opened unit up and it has a pc card type thing inside could this be blown ? has anyone else one of these what are they called ? cant see them on pure freedom site

If its worked before then check the fuse on the cable from the main van battery supply. If you have just installed it, is the split charge relay earthed to the chassis of the van?
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 04:15:29 pm »
There are 2 types of split charge relays.

The first was a relay, wired from the vehicles battery and required a second cable connected to the alternator to trigger the relay when the alternator was charging.

The most comon nowdays is the intelligent relay that doesn't have this alternator trigger wire. It senses when the alternator has charged the vehicle battery to nearly fully charged and then triggers the relay to start charging the aux battery.

I don't know what PF use.

Dave Garrett

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 04:51:44 pm »
2 x fuses both ok yes earthed

trevor perry

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 07:02:53 pm »
2 x fuses both ok yes earthed

i am just this week having a problem with my pure freedom split relay but have not fully checked it out yet, i looked at the fuse near the battery which is fine but could you tell me where the other fuse is located on your setup dave
Thanks
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Dave71

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 09:39:48 pm »
you should have a fuse near your van battery and one on your system

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 04:50:10 am »
I would change the fuses anyway as one cannot always see the damage fuse.After all they do not cost much.I have had fuses look perfect and when I check with a meter they are faulty,before you call any one and spend money.

Mike #1

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 05:41:17 am »
Totally agree with Slumpy dog you cant tell if the PC Cards aka fuses  ;D ;D  are blown unless you can try them on something else .

Halfords sell fuses or local car shop take the ones you have with you so you know you are getting the correct fuses,  Get some spares as well . Mike

Dave Garrett

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 01:00:38 pm »
This is the set up fuses ok

trevor perry

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 01:47:42 pm »
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Dave Garrett

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 02:14:41 pm »
Trevor is yours the Same ?

trevor perry

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 09:25:00 pm »
Trevor is yours the Same ?
yes it is, you will also have a fuse for split relay at your van battery i have not tested current from the box on your second picture yet but i am sure my split relay is no longer charging my batteries, i will test this tomorrow if i am correct then i will change first fuse at van battery and test again if still not working i will need to buy one of those box fuses on your second picture, i have seen them for sale at ryder towing under caravan combi relays if purefreedom dont sell them

Dave Garrett

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 09:50:56 pm »
tested going into box 12volts ok ,coming out zero have noticed fitted with 2 x 10 amp fuses yet manfacturer recommends 2 x 30 defo not blown ?

trevor perry

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 10:04:14 pm »
tested going into box 12volts ok ,coming out zero have noticed fitted with 2 x 10 amp fuses yet manfacturer recommends 2 x 30 defo not blown ?
the 2 x10 amp fuses you have tested will be for your pumps, the 30 amp fuse for the split relay will be near your van battery check this before changing the ryder switch fuse box in your 2nd picture

Spruce

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 11:39:16 pm »

Dave Garrett

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 10:10:00 am »
telephoned Purefreedom ...Should have tested unit with engine running was getting 12.01 when off should really be about 12.8 then it starts to charge 2nd batt ...Looks like Main Batt in Van needs a boost

Spruce

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 11:49:22 am »
Dave
I'm not too sure what this type of split charge relay is. From the wiring diagram it looks as though its self switching or intelligent. If this is correct then it should be set to switch on only when the van battery is virtually fully charged.

We have Brocott units on 2 of the vans. If you start the vans it takes about 15 to 20 seconds for the intelligent relay to switch on and open the charging circuit to the leisure batteries. You can hear it click on. The only way to test this is to let the van's engine run for a while and then put a volt meter across the terminals of the leisure battery. You should get a voltage of between 13.5 and 14.2 volts. This will show that the leisure battery is receiving a charge.

The relay's job is to isolate the 2 batteries (van battery and leisure battery) and only 'link' them together when the van's alternator is charging. This is so your leisure battery may go flat but it won't let the van battery go flat.

Dave Garrett

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 03:24:46 pm »
Spruce spot on many thanks for your help owe you one mate ...Main batt was low