Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Klean07

Scratched glass repair?
« on: October 01, 2012, 10:32:44 am »
Had a custie ask me if theres something on market to remove scratches from glass. Someone tried to remove paint with a blunt stanley knife on a couple of her windows!!
I've heard that toothpaste and nail varnish could work but would be interested to know if anyone had used these methods or others etc!!
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

GB Window Cleaning

Re: Scratched glass repair?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 04:45:51 pm »
Had a custie ask me if theres something on market to remove scratches from glass. Someone tried to remove paint with a blunt stanley knife on a couple of her windows!!
I've heard that toothpaste and nail varnish could work but would be interested to know if anyone had used these methods or others etc!!

anything that your can feel with your finger nail in is a waste of time trying to repair! so no, im afraid!

Klean07

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 08:04:46 pm »
Oh dear I was expecting loads of ideas too!! Oh well!!

4S Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 08:11:28 pm »

anything that your can feel with your finger nail in is a waste of time trying to repair! so no, im afraid!

Bang on GB.

How big is the glass 07 ?

Klean07

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 11:25:34 pm »
Small georgian bathroom glass.

4S Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 06:50:30 am »
Be better getting a new unit I take it it's double glazing with white Georgian bar inside it?

Klean07

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 03:23:59 pm »
Single glazed with bars inside.

basiljohn

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 05:21:06 pm »
Ive used toothpaste on scratched glass it worked a treat but the scratch was only faint, you have nothing to lose if you try it but get whitening toothpaste.

dave f

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 07:22:53 pm »
theres a product called jewelers rouge for polishing gem stones

4S Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 08:16:52 pm »
theres a product called jewelers rouge for polishing gem stones
Unless you have a buffing machine it is no use especially if you can feel the scratch

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 08:24:44 pm »
If it's just a small wooden frame Georgian pane, the best thing is to dig out the putty, remove the damaged glass and replace with a new bit.

It's not difficult and you get the new bit of glass cut to size less 2mm all round.  Replacing the putty is a bit fiddly, but by the time you've done one pane you'll be expert ;D

It used to be a nice little sideline for 'old school' windies - point out broken panes to people and offer to replace them.

4S Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 08:31:13 pm »
If it's just a small wooden frame Georgian pane, the best thing is to dig out the putty, remove the damaged glass and replace with a new bit.

It's not difficult and you get the new bit of glass cut to size less 2mm all round.  Replacing the putty is a bit fiddly, but by the time you've done one pane you'll be expe
It used to be a nice little sideline for 'old school' windies - point out broken panes to people and offer to replace them.

Ian it's even easier to do pvc windows. If you know how  ;D

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 09:01:26 pm »

It's not difficult and you get the new bit of glass cut to size less 2mm all round.  Replacing the putty is a bit fiddly, but by the time you've done one pane you'll be expe

Ian it's even easier to do pvc windows. If you know how  ;D

There you go!  That's progress for you ;D