Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Total shine cleaning services

staff-health and safety
« on: October 01, 2012, 11:29:07 pm »
to those that employ, how do you go about scheduling jobs for staff when you know a ladder or flat roof access is required, taking on first employee in march and planning for all eventualities,most of my domestics I can bridge over flat roofs with my poles at various angles, but also have a few commercials where flat roof access is required so need to put working practises into operation for when he starts, any help gratefully received.

Graham

George P

Re: staff-health and safety
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 08:28:19 am »
you should go out with them 1st until they are confident at getting on / off roofs etc, then when they need to get on always 1st to see if there is some where to vlock the ladder (safes footing), although this wont be an option mostly, the next way is to get a ladder stabilizer that acts as someone footing (these arent guaranteed though- ladder guys may be best to advise on this) but we prefer to ensure that there is someone who will meet him on site to foot the ladder,
hope that hel[s
george

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:02:58 am »
All my staff are banned from using ladders, if they do then they are dismissed straightaway, IMO a piece of glass is not worth the life of my employee, so if a customer has a single window that requires the use of a ladder then that window is not cleaned, if though they have lots of windows that require ladder access then I will look at other methods such as platforms and scaffolding, and if I cannot use these type of equipment, then I walk away from the job.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 03:41:29 pm »
All my staff are banned from using ladders, if they do then they are dismissed straightaway, IMO a piece of glass is not worth the life of my employee, so if a customer has a single window that requires the use of a ladder then that window is not cleaned, if though they have lots of windows that require ladder access then I will look at other methods such as platforms and scaffolding, and if I cannot use these type of equipment, then I walk away from the job.

This forum needs a "Like" button!!!
If only more window cleaners thought this way.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 03:55:59 pm »

'Like'

robertphil

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 04:42:12 pm »
i had to have words with one of my employees today who was meant to be footing my ladder. twice caught her being lazy and not actually footing it.   She got upset and wanted running home

oh no, look kid ,make your own way home if youre going

Total shine cleaning services

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 08:13:22 pm »
Cheers guys

Graham

bobplum

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 09:01:25 pm »

moneys a big motivation

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 09:35:25 pm »

moneys a big motivation

very true, but in my case, my employee has a partner who is my daughters best friend, I have seen her grow up since the age of 4, they have 2 kids, I treat her like a daughter.

Now if I let my employee use a ladder and ladders are used every day without mishaps happening, but there are also times when someone falls, most times luckly they walk away with a shock and maybe some bruises, but sadly sometimes they do not walk again or even live.

For the rest of my life I will see my employees partner and kids grow up with out a father and partner, no amount of money will make me feel happy for them or what I am responsible for.

What others feel about ladder use is up to them, this is just my thoughts and to lose some money to stop this possibility happening is money well worth losing.

Window Washers

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 10:24:32 pm »

not always about the money, there is plenty of money without the use of ladders

moneys a big motivation
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)