Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

BartG

The cheapest way to switch to wfp?
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:15:14 pm »
Hi,
I haven't got a lot customers ( just a few regular - due to part time nature of my WC ) therefore I'm seeking for the cheapest way to switch to wfp as I see quite big potential in that.
Hence my question guys, what would be the cheapest way to go wfp?
As far as I understood I need a tank + pump + pole n brush and a RO unit if my water is too hard. I live just outside A406 - London surbubs, so I don't think my tap water would be ideal for wfp, I will ofcourse get a tds meter to find exactly out, but lets assume that RO system is required.
So:
- Backpack tank ( I suppose that's a bit cowboy, but as long as it does the work for a start shoul be ok eh ? )
- some gardiners slx pole with brush
- cheapest RO unit I found on ebay is about Ł90 and it apparently does 50 gallons a day
Do I need anything else or this would be enough for a start up in wfp?
Any help n advices much appreciated.
Bart
What a piece of bread looks like depends on whether you are hungry or not

PurefectWindowCleaning

Re: The cheapest way to switch to wfp?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 07:23:14 pm »
Do not waste your money on a backpack or trolley, and invest the extra on a van mount system. You will only wish you did otherwise.

BartG

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 08:19:31 pm »
I don't have a van atm and can't afford 1. Tell me please is that above enough to start, or would I need anything else additionally? I realize that van system would be much better, but will just have to work my way towards it.
Thanks

kevinc

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 08:25:18 pm »
experience is a good thing,i've wasted more money on upgrading when i should have gone for,
gardiners slx full stop
200gpd ro unit
backpack or trolly
a van mounted tank bigger than you need at the moment
if you do it cheaply you'll only ebay it all in a year or so as you will have outgrown it all,or got neck/back ache
always allow future work loads or you will have to add "bolt ons"to cope with the work and your equipment,
 buy the right gear now and you'll be fine/don't do the 50gpd ro route-you'll only end up upgrading in a few months anyway-at more cost,top tip----gardiners slx

BartG

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 09:20:01 pm »
Thanks for the replies
Can someone also explain what is the difference between DI and RO and which one should I get and what is it dependant on? or both?

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 09:22:57 pm »
If your looking for the cheapest way then an SLX is certainly not the way to go about it.

You only have a few customers and cant afford a van yet, so instead of forking out for a SLX, buy a cheap secondhand pole and save for a van. Then upgrade your equipment in proirty order.

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 09:27:19 pm »
Thanks for the replies
Can someone also explain what is the difference between DI and RO and which one should I get and what is it dependant on? or both?

My tap reading is about 060, and I only purify the water via a DI unit. As my water is quite low anyway, I can get away with not using a RO unit.

Anything above roughly 070 ish, you would be better off using an RO  unit to lower the TDS of the water before it goes through the DI.

Hope that makes sense to you.

gary999

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 10:02:45 pm »
backpack john hewitt less than a ton

harris pole £15

plastic angle adapter you can get from a home bargain shop they come on
the extendable brooms they sell £2

pole hose 5mm internal diameter from b&q a lttle over a pound a meter

brushes spend some money on gardiners brushes relatively good cleaners
lovely and light.

i would imagine if in london area the water will be hard so will need a ro
if you are intending to expand on the few customers you have get a 300gpd ro
this will produce enough water easily in a 24 hr period.

a couple of water butts to store water in and 25 ltr barrels which you can normally
get free from local car wash

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 05:06:21 pm »
If you have parking off street ...

Buy a trailer (secondhand but up together off ebay) that will let you put a 250L tank in it (so 400kg trailer).

Then when you get a van it can all go in it later. (and you can either add another 200 or 250L tank or just buy a 400 or 500 when the time comes.)

I still use my trailer from time to time.
It's a game of three halves!

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 06:48:41 pm »
I have a trailor you can have for free is you come to Somerset  ;)

landy2

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 11:50:48 am »
hello garry999   do you have a link to that extending broom as would like to see if i can get one cheers  ;D

Wc Solutions

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 12:13:31 pm »
i wouldnt go straight for a van mount! why?

the cost
you may not get on with wfp cleaning
you dont wanna get the wrong size tank etc

go for a back pack at first, and yes you will need to go van mount at some point but the back pack will always come in handy for certain jobs and in the cold winter months its very handy as the tank could freeze. get some 25ltr drums for the water and can store in doors when too cold.

step 1 - find out the tds of your water! then you can work out which way works best for you to make your water - ro or di.

you will def think after a month poop! what have i done this wfp lark is a nightmare - as you will find you over worry about the finish, find you always need something to buy etc ... i wouldnt get a top top pole straight away tho - again cost wise etc.

get a good pole! ie gardiners clx, yes still a little pricey but it makes your working day alot better and faster! in time you will get better kit etc but the pole and backpack will always come in handy as back ups, i use the older poles for conny roof etc...

best way to get into wfp is join a forum - done! and find a nice chap in the area to show you the ropes.

what you will learn from here in a month can be shown to you in a few days.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 05:18:40 pm »
10 posts, 11 opinions...

Welcome to the world of cleanitup!

;D
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 06:00:37 pm »
get yourself a decent di unit. gardiners clx 27 will bring your tds down low enough so you will only need an ro  on work above 45 feet . if tou go for a trolley or backpack make sure it is large enough to hold at least 7 litres of resin.next a good pole and brush . i use a 40 / 40 combination from pure freedom.  to make life easier you could put a flow controller on the di unit to save water . that should start you off

BartG

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 06:23:26 pm »
Thank you for your response guys, you helped a lot.
So as far as I understood I would need:
1. a trolley or backpack
2. Depending on hardness of my water an DI or RO+DI unit.
3. Pole and brush

Is that all I need to start off ?

Also, I don't quite understand why (if let's say my water is enough for Di filtring only )  I would need an RO on work above 45 feet? Does the water goes hard on heights?  ;D I know that's stupid question, I'm just completely novice.
Another thing is would I really need that DI unit with a resin attached to my backpack and carry it on all the time ( according to last post by barry ) ? I thought that the filtring stuff you only attach to tap and gather produced water in tanks or something.
And the last one : What do you do with waste water ( seen in some Di's description that normally you generate 60% of waste water ) ?
Thanks again and have great workday :)

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 06:27:10 pm »
Thank you for your response guys, you helped a lot.
So as far as I understood I would need:
1. a trolley or backpack
2. Depending on hardness of my water an DI or RO+DI unit.
3. Pole and brush

Is that all I need to start off ?

Also, I don't quite understand why (if let's say my water is enough for Di filtring only )  I would need an RO on work above 45 feet? Does the water goes hard on heights?  ;D I know that's stupid question, I'm just completely novice.
Another thing is would I really need that DI unit with a resin attached to my backpack and carry it on all the time ( according to last post by barry ) ? I thought that the filtring stuff you only attach to tap and gather produced water in tanks or something.
And the last one : What do you do with waste water ( seen in some Di's description that normally you generate 60% of waste water ) ?
Thanks again and have great workday :)

You get waste water when using a RO unit, not a DI  ;)

gary999

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 08:41:44 pm »
hello garry999   do you have a link to that extending broom as would like to see if i can get one cheers  ;D

nope they are in home bargain shops they must be in every main shopping area
just walk dow aisles to you find them ;D

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 10:08:54 pm »
cheapest way to change over to wfp
first find a local wfp windy
2nd give him all yr work
result a very cheap change over to wfp ;D ;D ;D ;D
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

pe555

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 10:12:31 am »
Hiya James,
Have you still got the trailer going for free?

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 05:19:32 pm »
Hiya James,
Have you still got the trailer going for free?

I gave it away to a neighbour yesterday afternoon mate, else you could have had it.