Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

Which set up do you recommend and why?

Tank - pump - DI -pole
44.9%
22 (44.9%)
Tank - DI - pump - pole
16.3%
8 (16.3%)
DI - tank - pump - pole
38.8%
19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 42

♠Winp®oClean♠

Re: DI - before or after pump and tank?
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 04:16:53 pm »
Boys lets get it right for once. Try give the man facts, to many guess work going on here. At this point I would not know what to do so much onions. I am surprised any one learns a thing from this forum. ??? ???

They don't, you tell 'em, tell 'em & tell 'em & they still don't get it!

It's very simple, think about both ways, then see if you can come up with any benefits of filling the tank with pure over filling it with tap water? ;)

As for the sequence of the DI's, pump etc it will work both ways- depending on how airtight your system is & the position of the pump etc will determine which works best. In my experience, having tried both over the last 8 years or so, it's a much more reliable/stable system when you push water through the vessels rather than pull it. ;)

mikeyfaerosyth

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 05:00:10 pm »
just take winpros advice,no point in complicating things, just try it.and no running out of water.

LWC Ltd

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 07:46:42 pm »
From what i've read I'm in favour of being able to fill from customers tap quickly and pushing it through DI's (more slowly).

This seems more sensible but what worries me is the pressure build up in the vessels if I stop flow with an aquadapter or similar.

Eg heads of vessels blowing off as mentioned. Surely the pressure switch of the pump would turn the pump off before getting to that point?

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 10:57:08 pm »
From what i've read I'm in favour of being able to fill from customers tap quickly and pushing it through DI's (more slowly).

This seems more sensible but what worries me is the pressure build up in the vessels if I stop flow with an aquadapter or similar.

Eg heads of vessels blowing off as mentioned. Surely the pressure switch of the pump would turn the pump off before getting to that point?

Mark etting will love me for this but.... I think his case was pretty unique! ;D

Water doesn't compress, only air, so you really need to have an issue to begin with for this to happen- even then a pump & controller working properly would cut off at your predetermined value.

I've had air in the vessels before & yes, the pump will run a little longer before the controller cuts it off as the air compresses but NOTHING near to causing anything, even a hozelock connector to pop off! ;)

DG Cleaning

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 09:42:02 am »
Not sure why you would put more strain on the pump by pushing water through a di. Mains pressure is less than the pump can produce so surely that's better for the di as well. You can also fill at a customers house by connecting straight into di.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 04:07:42 pm »
Not sure why you would put more strain on the pump by pushing water through a di. Mains pressure is less than the pump can produce so surely that's better for the di as well. You can also fill at a customers house by connecting straight into di.

Well for one- there is virtually no resistance offered by two filled, operational DI vessels! Water flows freely through them.

The pumps pressure is controlled by either it's own pressure switch or via electronic controller.

On your last point- yes you can, however, blasting water through DI vessels at mains pressure/flow rate is a sure good way of reducing your resin life!! Flow rate & volume are key factors in extending resin life- especially important in a twin DI system!

Dave Willis

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 05:54:37 pm »
What happened with mine was .. I had a layflat tank (650l), so when it got really low the pump would gulp in air when the van was moved and cause problems. The biggest build up of pressure I had was when the battery was nearly flat, for some reason the controller couldn't pick up on  the pressure and wouldn't switch off. Apparently this can happen and was explained by an electrician - unfortunately it was so long ago that I can't remember the details.  ;)
Push or pull, doesn't make a huge difference provided all the connections are sound.

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 06:11:51 pm »
im fed up with proving wimpo wrong . if your main concern is the life of your resin . then put your di before your tank and fill it with pure . this is what i do . i put my tap on trickle abot 4 in the afternoon and by 7 in the morning it is full . 15 hours to fill and 7 hours to empty while working . my record for filling my tank is 50 hours over the weekend . giving more resin life than than having the di after the tank .

LWC Ltd

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 06:14:03 pm »
Think I'm getting closer to a decision now then .  Will probably push through the DI and fill tank with tap water.
(I'd like the option to fill the tank quickly)

Flow rate & volume are key factors in extending resin life- especially important in a twin DI system!

Do I understand correctly if I take this to mean a slower flow rate and big vessels?
What difference does it make?

My two vessels I've just got are 5.6L each I think. (The black super duper ones from WCW)

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 06:39:15 pm »
Think I'm getting closer to a decision now then .  Will probably push through the DI and fill tank with tap water.
(I'd like the option to fill the tank quickly)

Flow rate & volume are key factors in extending resin life- especially important in a twin DI system!

Do I understand correctly if I take this to mean a slower flow rate and big vessels?
What difference does it make?

My two vessels I've just got are 5.6L each I think. (The black super duper ones from WCW)

With such small vessels you'll deffo have to pump through them. My mate has the same vessels as those, he just has to change the resin more often. ;)

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 06:50:45 pm »
im fed up with proving wimpo wrong . if your main concern is the life of your resin . then put your di before your tank and fill it with pure . this is what i do . i put my tap on trickle abot 4 in the afternoon and by 7 in the morning it is full . 15 hours to fill and 7 hours to empty while working . my record for filling my tank is 50 hours over the weekend . giving more resin life than than having the di after the tank .

Oreyt Bazza ;)

Now, this is what I totally fail to see any logic in whatsoever! ???

Why on earth would you do that? Spend 15 hours filling your tank (just think about winter for one) when it could be done in 15 minutes! ???

I can guarantee you Bazza, at both flow rates here (pump Vs trickle mains) there will be virtually zero, if any at all saving on resin & even if there was, it would be so minute that your method still presents itself as ridiculous! ;D

This is all I have to do when I come home from work- Pull up, plug hose pipe into hozelock male tank filler & turn tap on! That's it, done 'till I start work the next day. ;)

I have a mini torbeck float valve so it's impossible for me to over-fill too, it will just cut off once full so I don't even have to stand there & wait 10/15 mins 'till it's full. :D

LWC Ltd

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 07:03:11 pm »
My mate has the same vessels as those, he just has to change the resin more often

I've heard that bigger vessels extend resin life but I can't get my head around why?

Surely like Winpo says the resin needs changing more often and that's the only difference.

I would have thought the only factor influencing the resin life (apart from the Twin DI set up etc) is the amount of water that passes passing through the vessels?

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2012, 07:18:01 pm »
My mate has the same vessels as those, he just has to change the resin more often

I've heard that bigger vessels extend resin life but I can't get my head around why?

Surely like Winpo says the resin needs changing more often and that's the only difference.

I would have thought the only factor influencing the resin life (apart from the Twin DI set up etc) is the amount of water that passes passing through the vessels?

I don't see how bigger vessels extend resin life, it would just last longer between fills as it holds more resin.

Flow rate comes into it more as the resin gets older. The more it gets spent, the less it's ability to absorb impurities & the faster the through flow the lesser it's able to do so.

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 06:56:49 am »
ay up wimpo . i might save an extra 10p a day on my resin having the tap on trickle . remember i am from yorkshire . ;).anyway ive got about 600 bristles from some gardiners brushes hanging around on custys windows . if you want i will collect em and post em for you. you might be able to make another feather duster out of em ;D

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 10:28:35 am »
ay up wimpo . i might save an extra 10p a day on my resin having the tap on trickle . remember i am from yorkshire . ;).anyway ive got about 600 bristles from some gardiners brushes hanging around on custys windows . if you want i will collect em and post em for you. you might be able to make another feather duster out of em ;D

So am I Bazza, I know where you're coming from ;D but even I have limits! :D :D