Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Carl@Cwc

Please ENLIGHTEN ME about water softeners New
« on: June 27, 2012, 11:18:06 pm »
in process of setting up 2 x 1000ltr ibcs in garage and have been told by many to get a softener b4 it enters PREFILTERS.

can anyone enlighten an idiot as to why i should and the benefits of installing one?
would a domestic setup softener be suffice?

i really have no idea when it comes to this bit , so any advice appreciated

Window Washers

Re: please ENLIGHTEN ME about water softeners
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 11:37:52 pm »
softener (get a di vessel and fill it with softner resin (not DI resin) then get a salt chamber (same as prefilters ask pure freedom they sell them, they sell the whole kit.

Softner does as it says and protects the membrane to a agree as it is already doing work on the water, the resin can be regenerated thats where the salt part comes in, granulated salt (you can get if from b&q) you fill the chamber with salt, disconnect from ro and slowly flush it through into the resin for about 20 min or till the salt if all gone into the resin (do not do it quick as it will do nothing) dont flush it through the ro either.

It is used for very hard water areas

it lowers the tds out of the membrane,
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Carl@Cwc

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 11:57:50 pm »
softener (get a di vessel and fill it with softner resin (not DI resin) then get a salt chamber (same as prefilters ask pure freedom they sell them, they sell the whole kit.

Softner does as it says and protects the membrane to a agree as it is already doing work on the water, the resin can be regenerated thats where the salt part comes in, granulated salt (you can get if from b&q) you fill the chamber with salt, disconnect from ro and slowly flush it through into the resin for about 20 min or till the salt if all gone into the resin (do not do it quick as it will do nothing) dont flush it through the ro either.

would u say 250ppm is hard ianww
or am i being tight ;D

Window Washers

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:11:03 am »

would u say 250ppm is hard ianww
or am i being tight ;D
it is hard, but I would'nt use a softner, do you have a booster pump ? if not get one of them instead
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Ben wood

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 08:12:21 am »
I would not bother, Just more things to buy. Have you been using one up til now with any problems, my guess is no, so why complicate things.