Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Geoff Jewkes

Gabbeh rugs
« on: January 19, 2006, 09:16:36 pm »
Anyone heard of these???? Customer is certain that thats what they are and certain they`re colourfast !!! I have my doubts. Going to view them on Monday. Help please!!!! Thanks, Geoff

John Kelly

Re: Gabbeh rugs
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 09:37:07 pm »
These rugs are usually of middle east origin. Cleaned a few never had a problem apart from some red dye run, extracted again with an Acid rinse and solved it. They are generally an irregular shape not perfectly square so you don't need to worry about shrinkage.

gwrightson

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 10:32:59 pm »
Am I been thanked for some thing i dont know about ;D
  :-\  :-\  :-\
 geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 10:36:19 pm »
Thanks john. What is a good price for cleaning these??? LOL gw ;D

John Kelly

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 11:10:26 pm »
Depends. I rarely charge less than £40 for a rug, however if there are a few smallish ones I may offer a slight discount. Sometimes for my good customers they may even be done free as part of a larger job, cleaned onsite that is.

woodman

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 09:15:52 am »
Gabbeh rugs are Persian, true Gabbeh will come from NW Iran region.

Its important to know this because many are copied and manufactured for western sales which will not be a true Gabbeh.

As mentioned they can be irregular in shape although not all, they have a thick pile with very simple designs.

Cleaning should not pose any real problems if carried out in the correct fashion.

What I would strongley suggest is that you take your digital camera along and take several photos insitu before cleaning/removing from site.

It's amazing how many clients will think that you have altered the shape of the design further by cleaning you can quickly prove you haven't with your pictures ;)

Good Luck.

John Kelly

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 10:05:11 am »
Also to have handy a small pair of curved scissors or shears. As these are hand knotted you some times have a few tufts which stand proud after the cleaning. Mind you there will probably be some before you start. Just looks a better job if you snip off any rogue ones back to the level of the surrounding pile. Qualify with customer first though as some of them prefer this rustic look.

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 05:42:59 pm »
Many thanks for you help guys, what would I do without this site ??? I`ll let you know how I get on on monday, once again thanks,              Geoff       P.S I`ll take the camera!!!