Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

JJdomestics

Lone Working Policy
« on: January 17, 2006, 07:28:19 pm »
Hi

I was just reading through the recent posts on here and noticed that some clients wish to see a lone working policy. I have not heard of one of these and many of our cleaners do work on thier own. I was wondering if anyone could help ith the wording or just give me some pointers as to where to start.  Thanks

dustycorner

Re: Lone Working Policy
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 08:42:05 pm »
Contact acas they will put some leaflets in the post to you.

Cheers Mark.

JJdomestics

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 08:57:53 pm »
Thanks, will do first thing in the morning

Fox

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 07:33:00 am »
Lone workers are just that - people who work alone, there has not been a law passed on conditions as far as I know but a paper has been presented (years ago I think!).  So a good idea would be to check on this.  Basically it is to protect employees against accident and incident. 

You can get your employee to txt or call you upon leaving the building so you know that they are safe, or you can call them.  This is the most common way of ensuring lone workers are safe.  You can also team them up with others to make all jobs two person or ensure they work while someone else is in the building (eg: a morning shift rather than an evening).

Sorry I can't give you more detailed information but hope this helps.

Fox

blacksheep

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 08:45:58 pm »
dont know if this is of any use to you,working alone  can create risks which will heighten potentail dangers doing any job, so the key is to be aware of this and take sensible personal measures. you are required to take some formal steps to protect yourself and these are listed
make certain whenever you are working alone, last in the office or werehouse with a door closed or outside that there is someone responsible is aware of your presence. Check that the work you are doing has been subject to a risk assessment and check the assessment and some work such as moving heavy cases may have already been identified as a two man job.Do not put your self at risk, if you feel unsafe discuss with your boss the situation. Working in isolated locations may not present any particular risk or hazerd, but if work is under taken in such location, details of the areas to be visited and an indication of expected time of your return should be left in a log book at the office or alternative arrangements made to contact the office that work has been completed and whether a return to the office is expected. I may be way off base but hope this helps i am sure someone will lets us know regards blacksheep