Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jamie Pearson

Re: Agitation
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 08:02:09 pm »
Right, I did the test. Unfortunately the video camera slipped on the tripod so not sure how much I can usefully edit.

I used a Polyprop Axminster we drive 3 vans over every night.

A Pile Lifter vac over all areas first and a generic salty water pre-spray with oxidiser.

Machines for agitation were:-

Sebo Duo
TM4 (Brown Brushes)
MULTIWASH 340 (Std Brushes)
Cleanfix Floormac (Worn Red Nylon Pad)
17" 200rpm Rotary (White Nylon Pad)
Cimex Encap (Encap Pads)

Results/opinions

Sebo Duo
+/- under weight compared to the competition.
-     Tends to skip around a bit.

TM4
+ Excellent pile lifting.
+ Easily twice as fast as the above.
+ Can realistically be used for dry compound cleaning giving dual use (unlike Sebo Duo).
-   Requires reasonable investment. However,mine is going strong after 10 years.

Multiwash (Rotowash)
+ Performance in line with TM4
+ Pump version can also lay down prespray as you go
+ With a brush change can be used on tile & grout.
-  Weight

Cleanfix Floormac
+ Worked reasonably well
+ Fits on stairs
- slower than the previous machines.
- a bit light weight
- Expensive for what it is (2nd hand rotary is same money)

17" 200rpm Floor Machine
+ Excellent agitation
+ Most versatile machine here (Agitate, Shampoo, Bonnet, Scrub Floors)
- Size & Weight

Cimex ENCAP Outright Winner. At best part of £3k it should be.
+ Fast and efficient
+ Sturdy construction (these things do not die)
- Size & weight

I was unable to test a Flexi5 (because I sold ours) or an Oreck Orbiter (my Dad was out so couldnt nick his).
The Flexi5 would give same results as the TM4 and has added advantage of being able to vacuum beforehand.
The Oreck is in line with the Floormac only a little sturdier being all metal construction.

The only machine I imagine would give the Cimex a challenge would be an equivalent size Oscillating Pad machine like the HOS Orbot or a heavier rotary with a Scrub3. When I have them I will compare.

Having trialled a Square Scrub/Tomcat Edge I can safely say it is not as practical on carpet as it is on floors.

Which one would I choose?

Well, I own all of them apart from the Sebo Duo and Floormac.
Both machines still perform well for the money and for occasional use are still better than a pile brush/rake.

If the video works out useable I will post it up.

AshWhite

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 08:53:27 pm »
Great post Jamie.

Far too much time on your hands though  ;D
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 11:21:38 pm »
Good post Jamie but you omitted the Envirodri which has weight and decent brushes.

I also have a 13" rotary and an Oreck, so I speak from experience when I say the Envirodri is the best of the bunch - but in certain circumstances, like everything these test results are subjective.

Jim_77

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 11:28:34 pm »
Nice one Jamie, great post ;)

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 02:11:04 am »
Is the envirodri not generically the same as a TM4.

I hear from some users they can be fragile.

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 07:29:33 am »
I've got the metal gen 2 version, built to last - unlike the gen 4

Chris Hawkes

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 08:53:10 am »
I use the Floormac and the Envirodri Gen 4.

Both are great machines but....

As Steve says the plastic casing on the Gen is weak - it's quietly deteriorating and if I can get another 6 months out of it I will be pleased - I bought it 2nd hand though it was pretty much new so it will have lasted about 18 months.  Not great.  In my opinion it is a domestic machine to be used a few times a year in the home, not daily on every crap filled carpet under the sun.  I find the brushes are a pain to change somethimes as well with the hexagonal pin going through the middle of them struggling to fit back through after removal (will make sense to Envirodri users).  Despite these issues it is a fantastic machine for lifting pile and agitation.

I bought the Floormac second hand again - I was only just starting out so most of my kit was pre-used.  In the last few weeks it has developed a problem whereby there is about an 8th of an inch too much play when it is oscillating causing too much vibration through the handle and way too much noise.  Not sure if this is the same issue as Jamie described.  That said, it is still usable and is a great machine and very versatile.  I use it for agitation - the black brush for wool, the orange brush for everything else, and for bonnetting with the driveplate and 17" pads.  If anything it is a little light but hey, you can't have everything.  You can also agitate stairs with it.

I suspect I will plump for a TM4 when the Envirodri carks it, depending on what they quote me to mend it, and a new Floormac when the one I have finally gives up the ghost (unless a  2nd hand one comes up in the meantime - what a skinflingt I am)

Chris

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 08:06:30 pm »
http://youtu.be/E2H7yaVDY28

Heres the link to the video. Unfortunately you cant actually see the results too well.

If anything it lets you see the machines running - apart fro, the cimex which is out of shot.

derek west

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 08:22:10 pm »
Lol no worries.

I've only tried encap a few times, but I prefer the CRBs results compared to a rotary (at least to the lighter rotary I was using). I am, however, massively drawn to a more heavy duty OP machine - and maybe an Oreck XL for stairs.

I tell you what I used for the first time today which I love (for domestics) is a 20cm rotowash - the footprint is marginally smaller than a Duo, but it weighs much more (although you can carry it in one hand). It was absolutely perfect for a retirement home/chalet job I had today.

I agree Ash, the Rotowash certainly is good and if I had to choose between that and a Duo, it would be the rotowash everytime. Without being disrespectful to anyone who uses a Duo, I found it to be pants tbh.

Cheers

Kev
good for cleaning your teeth apparantly, aint that right jamie ;D

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2012, 08:39:54 pm »
With the right pre-conditioner and decent dwell time - yes.

Jim_77

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 11:47:54 pm »
The pink ones are better