Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Alan Brooker. Aqualink Carpet Care

Using 100' hose on a Porty
« on: January 08, 2006, 02:24:54 pm »
Quite a few mention using 100' on a twin vac Porty. Wether you're running parrallel or inline, using 2 high wattage triple stage vacuums will produce about the same amount of water lift/ airflow no matter what the machine. In my experience there is a massive difference in suction between 50' and 100'. Which to my understanding means that not as much cleaning solution is being picked up OR if the carpet is being left relatively dry then the solution pressure is insufficient which means that not all of the dirt is being flushed out.

A truckmount is a truckmount and a portable is just that. Portable.
I leave mine outside the house where possible. If really does have to go into the entrance of the house then I exhaust the damp air outside.

Any comments?
Experience does not qualify as Knowledge and Understanding.
Understand how and why and you'll produce great results.

IICRC, Woolsafe, Fenice & LTT trained.
Member of Eco Carpet Care, NCCA & Woolsafe.

John Rimmer Marshall & Rimmer Ltd

Re: Using 100' hose on a Porty
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 02:44:49 pm »
If possible i will always leave my machine outside, have done for years ever
since the wireing in an old Extracta Exel cought fire in a house. Did manage to drag it outside before to much damage was done.   No good for someone with a weak heart.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 02:57:20 pm »
Sorry to hear that.
Would you agree with the comment about hose length and cleaning effectiveness?

BRSL

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 03:53:44 pm »
A truckmount is a truckmount and a portable is just that. Portable

I agree with that  ;D

James
W - www.brsl.co.nz
E - james@brsl.co.nz

Kind regards James C

mark_roberts

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 04:29:23 pm »
Alan

Next time youve a really dirty carpet to clean try a few experiments.

Example clean with 25ft and then 100ft and compare.  Clean with and without heat and compare.  Clean with 100psi and then 300psi and then compare.  Clean with prespray and then with prespray and a rinse and compare.  Then compare other methods.

From this youll be able to determine how to get it clean.  And funnily enough it will be in direct conflict with a few statements which come from some of the suppliers to our industry.

Mark

mark_lane

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 04:56:48 pm »
Hi Guys
I use 100ft of hose with the 'eclipse ' with no problems ,but obviously there is a cutting off point with drying times.

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 05:25:24 pm »
In response to Mark Roberts - I know. Hence the reason for this post ;)

Mark Lane Mathews - The Eclipse is the 3 vac isn't it? I'm looking forward to Ashbys 3rd vac adaption. I think it will mean that more solution pressure can be applied with confidence that more of what is rinsed is extracted. But I still dont think I'd want to be using massive lengths of hose.

In addition to what has been posted thus far, Ashbys 3rd vac adaption pulls from the machine end. Solutions vac booster runs inline along the hose chain. Any comments on how these would compare in use and extraction effectiveness? Or are they different tools for different jobs?

mark_roberts

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 05:30:34 pm »
If you want longer then the booster is the way to go as it provides more power nearer the wand where you need it.

Question is why do you need to run 100ft of hose??  Are you thinking of van mounting it then please think again.  Ive went down that road and hit a dead end with much lighter pockets.

Also the longer you go the more pressure and heat loss esp if using 100psi.

Mark

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 06:20:45 pm »
Not in a million years. Truck mount is a truck mount porty's a porty. But on larger domestic jobs to leave the machine outside requires the use of around 75'+.
I've found that Ashby's heat shrouded hoses are a good idea and work quite well. They keep the heat up till the tool head more than standard hoses and also there's less chance of scorch or run lines in the carpet.

I figured you'd vote for the inline vac booster. It makes sense to me although I think it could be a nuisance (as in, getting in the way) whereas Derek's booster keeps everything back at the machine end.

It aint cheap to put these things into production. Wonder what the manufacturers arguments/ reasons for and against are?

Nick...Derek... are you there?

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 08:54:03 pm »
Re: Ashby's customer service. As is said about newspapers, dont always believe what you read.
I've had no problems with Ashby's customer service in over 8 years.
I haven't met Nick at Solutions yet but I've heard nothing but good about his customer service either. Does that mean I shouldn't believe it?

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 09:06:49 pm »
Fair enough, maybe I struck it lucky with Ashby's then.  ;D

mark_lane

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 09:30:39 pm »
Hi  Alan
On most jobs i have my porty truckmounted,using 250 to 300 psi with a 100 ft of hose with excellent results and could use  up to 150 ft without losing noticable loss of waterlift and airflow.The booster box is a very good piece of kit, but i believe should  not be used when useing less than 50ft of hose with powerful porty's.
                             cheers mark

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 09:46:00 pm »
Thank you for your answer

cleaning co

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 10:52:31 pm »
hi, i hav been using 100ft hose every day for over 5 years  never had a complaint yet about drying times,if u read ashbys site they say u can use 100ft hose on thier 2x3stage vacs , for me its not vac power u need worry about but pump size anything under 200psi is not man enoughth to do 100ft, if u hav an high power porty and do mainly domestic y takeout the van i , i dont and would never dream taking it out of my van   ;D
p.s on the rare times i hav felt the need for more power i just  link up another machine which i allways hav in my van for backup

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 12:38:33 am »
I use the top spec ninja minus solvent. When you use 25' - 50' of hose have you ever noticed that loud whistle coming out of the end of the wand when it's not locked onto the carpet. It's gone at 75', it still moving air but not at the same rate. So with 100' it's just not happening.
Remember I'm talking about the power of one portable not two. Sounds like I'm being silly / trying to prove a point. All I'm trying to do is work out what length of hose cleaners who want acheive top results over practicality/ ease would choose to use.

cleaning co

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 08:01:33 am »
all i can say alan is i still get results over upto 100 ft and dont hav any problems i never ever break the hose down even if i only need 50 ft, perhaps u are being abit fussy  ;D

Neil Grainger

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 08:17:48 am »
Hi gary

dont you find that the suction does drop off though with such a long hose. I notice the difference between 25ft and 50ft of hose so this must be greater with 100ft of hose.

If it works for you thats great but I find that the longer the hose the less it sucks and the wetter the carpet stays.

This is not a negative though as I have never an issue with drying times as the customer never worries about this. I think that drying times is something the industry worries about and not the customer.

Cheers

neil

cleaning co

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 09:02:22 am »
yes neil  its not the cust but the operaters who worry,but if u get no complaints which i dont  then it dosnt matter dos it ? i personnally dont notice a lot of diffrence from 50-100, when i done a little test using 50ft then 100ft on a room in my house 12x12ft i still got the same amount in my waste tank ?  also i find the built in v2 heater usues less water and leaves the carpet dryer  because of the high heat /steam u still get at 100ft
gary