Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Wayne Boardman

I need my luck to change (and some advise)
« on: March 01, 2012, 08:49:24 pm »
Well 2012 has not be kind so far...
Back up Machine - Went bang and ended up at the skip, Main machine got frozen..new pump and vac, along with a split wand etc. (However Bought a backup from Ken - Has been great..Thanks Ken).
Last week - My vans rear suspension has gone - So it's on ebay as spares.
In addition only had one phone call in 2 weeks !!!! And had to cancel most of the jobs I had already got booked in!!

Anyway need some advise....
I haven't got the £2000 + to spend on a half decent van. And have been looking at some alternatives.
Does anyone have or use a Box Trailer?
I was thinking this might be a good cheaper option (have an x-trail to tow it).
Would mean no tax, insurance etc and a lot less to buy....Or am I being stupid etc....

Cheers in advance chaps...
Wayne

AshWhite

Re: I need my luck to change (and some advise)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 08:51:12 pm »
I suppose it depends on the area you operate in - parking it would be a nightmare for most? And then you've got storage, and protecting it from Pikeys.
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

brianbarber

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 08:54:38 pm »
Stick to a van
If poss finance a new one,
When you pitch up in a new van it gives you a head start,
Turn up in a shed and it don't look too clever.
Maybe use your 2 k as deposit, if your using porty maybe transit connect.

Also, new van, no nasty surprises

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

neil 47

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:26:23 am »
How does turning up in a van give you a head start ?

why have you only listed a mobile number on your website we advertise both mob and landline they never ring the mob
There is no before after photos on the website , no offers.
stick to basic gear , advertise on free social networks you have enough time .
build your own website hosting and url £34 for 2 years .
do leaflting .

1 phone call in two weeks you would get more work going down the pub each night and talking to people.
get busy diversy if you can  
IICRC

Mr Dvae

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 06:52:19 am »
you don't need a van, i used to throw a ninja in the back of an old fiesta, used to do about 2 -3k per month and that was 15 yrs ago.
To make your advertising work, the first thing people want is to find someone they can trust,
if all you have is a mobile number people will think you have no fixed abode, would you trust someone in your home that could disappear next week and you don't know where they live.
A landline is a secure line and gives the impression that you have roots planted firmly in the area. People trust local people.

Dave

M.Acorn

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 07:19:32 am »
Why could you not repair the suspension on your current van ?
What goes around comes around

clinton

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 07:55:29 am »
hope you get soretd soon waye.

As some have said above with the phone number for a starter.

Maybe get some leaflets out too..

The box trailer could be ok for a stop gap but its the parking etc with them.

Good luck mate..

Wayne Boardman

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 08:31:24 am »
Why could you not repair the suspension on your current van ?

it is not worth it. Id end up spending more than the van is worth.
needs a few other bits as well for the mot.

Wayne Boardman

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 08:42:25 am »
Thanks for the replies guys. I feel a bit more positive today.
I will defiantly add the landline on the website. As soon as I get a few jobs I'll start to do the before and after pics..thats a good idea.
I'll also do the leaflets and get pounding the streets. Think I'll go with another van. My reversing is not the best ;D

Dominic Carnell

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 10:01:41 am »
RE: your website:

* Take off all the 'All of our professional carpet cleaners' and 'Our highly experienced staff', it's a good thing that you're a small one-man operator and you should celebrate that fact, what is your motivation for customer service, your training, your values - people want to know who they are inviting into their homes.

* Get on Adwords (it doesn't appear you are already), I haven't checked traffic but I should imagine quite a few people are searching for 'carpet cleaning berkshire'. If you go onto adwords.google.co.uk there is a number you can call and Google will help you setup your account, don't go wild with keywords, just start off with say 'carpet cleaning berkshire' and 'carpet cleaning ascot'. Look out for free adwords vouchers in magazines.

* Create a better call-to-action, the whole point of a website for a tradesman is to get the visitor to convert into an enquiry/booking, call now for a free no obligation quote, or maybe a contact form, make these things prominent.

* Start creating content, Google likes sites that have constant relevant content added to them, at the moment your website is very generic, you could create all manner of interesting articles re stain removal, types of carpet cleaning machines, carpet types, topical things to do with public holidays etc.

* Trust is key, use freeindex or another indepenent rating system and start displaying customer reviews straight on your homepage. People love to know what other's are saying about a company or service. Send every customer a review request as part of a follow up email to ensure they're happy with your service.

Hope that helps, and good luck :)