Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Redden Countryfresh

Any bright Sparkys on here?
« on: January 15, 2012, 05:33:53 pm »
Miffed my three stage vac after 1yr and light use went today. It arcing like crazy from brush to brush, Theres loads of brush left, its had no water through it or leaks nearby, I assume its a short in the windings, does anyone know what causes this?

I've had this in the past when they have been only three months old  ???

its a newish ninja, the vacs have the new style brush mounting and are heavy duty.
"So basically its a big vax!"

Mark Lawrence

Re: Any bright Sparkys on here?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 06:13:49 pm »
Genuine from Ashbys etc?, or cheap chinese imports (off ebay etc)? If it's the latter, there lies the issue - especially after 3 months.

I've had vac motors last 4yrs or more, working every day full time CC'ing.

Mark

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 06:33:52 pm »
This would be genuine from ashbys

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 06:36:45 pm »
The Ametec not Ametek vacs from Woodbridge any good?

Paul Redden Countryfresh

john martin

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 08:10:15 pm »

Not dodgy i say , price is right for 'real' and he sources the 6.6 too which wouldn't be copied ... does the ninja connect motors via manifold or tube ... if its tube , you would need one of these
http://www.diytools.co.uk/hako-tube-with-cowl.html

Was it the vac that connects to the exhaust that went ? perhaps they dont last long in series ?

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 08:37:15 pm »
It seems that this can happen at any time- luck of the draw, but Chinese or Italian ones are worse.
It does not help if the units are in series as one will over rev and not last as long.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Fintan_Coll

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 10:40:32 pm »
Should be ok, you can also get a fitting which you stick on with ardtlite (spelling might not be right) but these can become loose . The hako type fitting as shown is the best option. I tried a few of the Italian vacs but never again and I am sure the Chinese ones are even worse.

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 09:30:14 am »
It's what they call vac No 1 ie one that bolts on to base of waste tank and connects  to other one by short hose.....not sure if its a good idea having a heat exchanger close to vacs. condensation etc.

I wonder if leaving the machine in the van in winter is not good for moist laden humid air on the electrics.?

Jim_77

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 10:14:15 am »
It's normally vac 2 that fails more, because it's got the heat from vac 1 coming through it.

If vac 1 is failing it might be a moisture ingress.  Doesn't necessarily mean you've had water or foam spewing out the back, just the hot humid air from the waste tank.... maybe take the lid off the machine at the end of the day and run fresh dry air directly through for a few minutes before switching off.

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 10:22:34 am »
Went into ashbys and they said its one of their non-genuine three stage vacs, half the price of a genuine one!
The previous owner opted for this, my gripe is why is a credible company selling non genuine vacs?  ???

Jim_77

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 12:32:02 pm »
Supply & demand :)

Graeme@Access

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 12:35:30 pm »
Hi,

You need to clean the commutator, its full of gunk and if you meter it, no doubt it will be shorting across the commutator contacts.

My engineer friend and I have rebuilt 8 vac motors that i kept but were useless (im a hoarder) using a bucket of water, soap, brush and a new set of carbon brushes. Done 2 pumps this way and 3 kirby motors.

Carbon isnt your friend inside a motor.

Graeme
Access Cleaning Solutions

PS MAke sure its dry before using it again  ;)

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 01:50:58 pm »
re:     You need to clean the commutator, its full of gunk and if you meter it, no doubt it will be shorting across the commutator contacts.

Does this need to be removed from the motor, I've tried to dismantle it but could work out how to remove
the cooling fan.

Buckland

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 02:40:58 pm »
Go figure these two items then:

Genuine Prochem Lamb 3 stage (like they build it or something - not!) £225 PLUS delivery and gasket from vacuumsuk

On Ebay Item number: 140454781706

OR

Lamb Ametek 3 stage £100 inc carriage and gasket

On ebay Item number: 280802212423

I have bought stuff from vacuumsuk but their prices now seem ridiculously 'tow the line' Prochem prices - how can accessory plant blokey do it so cheap? And is it the real McCoy?

Puzzled am I...

Never knew there was a difference between Ametek and Ametec

dave
Buckland Carpet & Fabric Care :: 01590 688938
www.SteamCleanCarpetService.co.uk

john martin

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 02:44:41 pm »
re:     You need to clean the commutator, its full of gunk and if you meter it, no doubt it will be shorting across the commutator contacts.

Does this need to be removed from the motor, I've tried to dismantle it but could work out how to remove
the cooling fan.

I'm sure you could clean it in situ  ..
there's a guy using toothpaste here  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z69zEB-fzXQ

john martin

Re: Any bright Sparkys on here? New
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 02:55:18 pm »
Go figure these two items then:

Genuine Prochem Lamb 3 stage (like they build it or something - not!) £225 PLUS delivery and gasket from vacuumsuk

On Ebay Item number: 140454781706

OR

Lamb Ametek 3 stage £100 inc carriage and gasket

On ebay Item number: 280802212423

I have bought stuff from vacuumsuk but their prices now seem ridiculously 'tow the line' Prochem prices - how can accessory plant blokey do it so cheap? And is it the real McCoy?

Puzzled am I...

Never knew there was a difference between Ametek and Ametec

dave

chances are anything with prochem written on it is just being resold with a bumped up price ...

the accessoryplanet one is genuine ... not only that its the better of the popular ametek models with 137" lift ...  you can read the serial number on the e-bay pics
its this one ..
http://www.alltemp.ca/vacuum/pdf/11712300.pdf

and why can he sell them cheap ...  all ameteks are made in Mexico using cheap labor etc ... probably cost a few dollars to make