Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

How much do you charge to Stain/Scotchguard carpets & upholstery?

The same price as cleaning
8.7%
2 (8.7%)
Half the price of cleaning
69.6%
16 (69.6%)
Other (please comment)
21.7%
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Aquakleen Restoration Services

Carpet & Upholstery protection charges...
« on: January 09, 2012, 02:34:17 pm »
Hi all,

Ive been charging half the price to protect of whatever the cost of the clean has been but thinking of charging the same as the clean. Is this too expensive? I know furniture warehouses for instance charge £200-£300 a suite which makes me think Ive been short changing myself for years!!

Thing is it is so easy to do as you know but maybe I need to get out of the mind set of being scared to charge more!!  :o

Look forward to your comments.

Aquakleen

PaulKing

Re: Carpet & Upholstery protection charges...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:24:45 pm »
Charge more than cleaning, the product costs more, so charge more
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

cannon

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 06:36:57 pm »
On the few stainguarding jobs ive done ive always charged half the price of cleaning.

Im going to push it more this year and was going to charge the same as the clean.

My daughters mother (the ex) bought a new suite last year and it still makes me smile now knowing she paid just under £200 to have it protected  ;D

JandS

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 07:41:52 pm »
Is that what they charge??
What do they typically charge for carpets?

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Paul H

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 08:07:43 pm »
Will it not depend on a few factors

1. Your cost to clean carpets ( sure no 2 persons on here charge the same )...someone may do for £60  what another will do for £120..

2. The cost of the protection product .. how much coverage it will give you (e.g 2 ave rooms??) ....the time taken for application.... and how much of a return you will be happy to take to cover the cost of the product and your time..

i've looked about and researched this and like cleaning there are those who charge top dollar and those who charge further down the scale... say £20 £18 per room... its where you want to pitch in at mate.

But i'm sure it can be quite a lucrative optional extra if you get the balance right

Jim_77

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 10:36:16 pm »
Charge more than cleaning, the product costs more, so charge more

With respect Paul I'm not sure that's logical ???

Yes, protector costs more per carpet than the chemical used to clean it, but all you have to do is stick it in a sprayer, apply and brush in!  Time and equipment costs are minimal.

I don't think it's entirely logical to charge a % of cleaning price either... after all, as said above, cleaning costs vary a lot!  If you charge cheap you might be paying the customer to apply protector to their carpet!  Or if you charge high, cleaning plus protecting might add up to a silly amount.

I've played around with pricing protector a lot over the years, and have found it makes little difference whether it equates to an extra 30% or 60% on top of cleaning.. if the customer is set on having it they will pay the price, so you might as well make it worthwhile :)

I have a set amount per suite, or per ft²of carpet

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 11:19:30 pm »
Jim is the point from whic h to discuss this topic.

I take the view that I will charge a percentage of the costs of cleaning. But I have also increased that percentage over the years whilst also reflecting my costs of cleaning are also going up above the cost of inflation.

In other words as I get better and more establsihed I charge myself as an exclusive supplier.

That said I am in the business of generating repeat business whereas , in general, furniture suppliers look at themselves as "one-off" suppliers of furniture. Therefore I am intending to clean this upholstery on a regular basis. If I charge too much for protecting it then clients will not have it cleaned on a regular basis, therfore my charges need to be on a basis which reflects expected cleaning costs and makes the costs of re-protecting affordable.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Jim_77

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 11:35:10 pm »
I am in the business of generating repeat business [....] If I charge too much for protecting it then clients will not have it cleaned on a regular basis, therfore my charges need to be on a basis which reflects expected cleaning costs and makes the costs of re-protecting affordable.

very very very well said :)