Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steve Gunn

Re: Leather Repair
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 06:18:33 pm »
I take it that's the back of the sofa so I'd say neither..... just live with it.
If it's that important they want it sorted then I'd say new panel as that area will have been stretched.
Alternatively you could fill it, re grain and colour.

Roger Koh

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 08:03:17 pm »
Would this need the panel replacing or would heat and manipulation get it out?

No panel replacing or heat and manipulation necessary - just relax the leather tension by hydrating it.

Similar to this situation, it's guarantee to be returned to almost like new-showroom-condition suppleness.

Besides such dents from handling, the leather set is water damaged with leather stiffen up.

Waiting for this $1975/ job approval to "showroom-condition" from the insurance company.

Roger Koh
info@leatherdoctor.com

Paul Moss

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 08:34:12 pm »
Steve you can relax the leather acouple of ways. I would first try this,undo staples,then use a heat gun not a hair drier to heat the leather from both sides but becarful not to over heat it or it will start to shrink. Then use the back of a cold desert spoon to manipulate the leather. You may have to do this acouple of timees from both sides. Rogers way to sock it with fat liqour will also relax it back but you will have to soak it from the suede side for several hours. I dont think any uk suppliers do. Fat liqour but Roger does sttock it. Think i have half a bottle some where if you get stuck.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 11:53:13 pm »
What paul said / i would tip sofa forward remove 8mm staples and dust cover from bottom of sofa get your arm up inside the suede flesh side with a small iron. Thats if the back is leather as a lot of back and sides are vinyl.

Or if you get in to the back you could drill a small hole in the centre pass a piece of string through with a piece of ali plate on the inside and warm that with a small craft iron while keeping the tention on it.

Patch, fill, colour match if the job was worth it   ::)????
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Steve Gunn

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 06:10:29 pm »
It's an insurance job but to be honest it doesn't matter what we do she won't be happy

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 06:48:45 pm »
It's an insurance job but to be honest it doesn't matter what we do she won't be happy

Been there!
You could make it as perfect as limitations allow but once a 'customer' has 'insurance' on the brain nothing other than a perfect article will suffice.
I had a case where some designer leather dining chairs had been in storage and the bubble wrap had left indents. I thought I'd done a near perfect job on the one chair and took it back to her for inspection before doing the rest. What I hadn't allowed for was that she would produce a perfect unused chair still in it's box and compared against the one I had done :o
Not a cat in hells chance she was going to be satisfied when she pulled that trump card out >:(
Whilst she was still ranting down the phone at the storage company I just packed up and left.