Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

G & M

r/o units
« on: January 11, 2006, 05:23:05 pm »
We only have a tank onboard the van so we would like to know which system would be best for us to fill up at night. eg ro-man 200gld or merlin 720gld etc. Would you need higher pressure to work the 720gpd merlin.
Also do all r/o systems include a di filter.
 Looking foward to your replies.
Cheers Michael - G&M

H h20

Re: r/o units
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 06:04:35 pm »
Hi Mike,i use the merlin my tap tds is 315 and it brings it down to 28 thats with normal tap pressure i have thought about a booster pump to bring the tds down even more,the reason i went for the merlin is how quick it produces water for the price,there are some who have the merlin who can get a real low tds reading,
and as for all ro`s having di filters they are added as it depends on the need and what size resin vessel is required,Gaz

twt

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 06:29:30 pm »
i decided tonight to check what tds my merlin was chucking out just after start up it was at 014 then i checked it a few minutes later again it was at 000 i couldn't believe it was right so i checked again,000. i thought ill give it ten minutes and try again...000 so i checked the tap water going in it is at 375. how ive got it to this level is by putting the hose pipe from my tap into my diy trolley's inlet and then conecting the outlet to the merlin and using the pump to boost the pressure(its a 60psi pump). I then turned the pump off and checked the tds coming out at mains pressure it was 014 turned the pump back on waited a minute and it was back at 000. i can also fill up my tank quicker when using the pump so i guess this means it is producing less waste. when i turn the pump on i turn the varistream up full then when it cuts the pump out i turn it down until the pump runs constanly without turning on and off. i dont think this is damageing the pump as it is running constantly and not starting and stoppping. so iv saved having to buy a booster pump. hope this help you. feel free to ask any questions but i my not be able to answer them until tomorrow.

G & M

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 07:32:15 pm »
Thanks Gaz and Philip. Do you both use the Merlin 720gld and if so how long would it take to produce say 30gls at 60psi also how much waste does it produce? thanks guys
            Michael

twt

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 09:36:30 pm »
30gallons is approx 150 litres i can fill up my 250litre tank in about 2 to 21/2 hours at 60psi not sure about waste haven't checked for a while but i would guess between 3:1 and 5:1 (waste:pure) its waste is a bit high which is the one thing that bothers me as i dont like wasting water, but ive heard you can get the waste down to 1:1 but i dont know how. i will check the waste on monday and get back to you

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 10:58:02 pm »
Evenin Phill

Are you sure you put Your Di on FIRST or after the Merlin?

Dave
Not Perfect - But Honest

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 11:08:13 pm »
DOH!!

Diy Trolly.......Pump etc

Not DI Filter

I'm wiv ya now Phill
Not Perfect - But Honest

twt

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 03:56:06 pm »
hi michael checked the waste today and my melin is producing 2 parts waste for every one part pure at a TDS of 000 i think i am very lucky though as this is better than the mannual states.

brett walker

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 04:27:44 pm »
I see a few people have got the merlin is it worth the extra cost ??? im thinking of getting one. :)

Brett

H h20

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 04:33:15 pm »
I see a few people have got the merlin is it worth the extra cost ??? im thinking of getting one. :)

Brett
Hi Brett, i`ve got the Merlin ,although my tds only comes down to 27 before resin, i like how quick it works it produces 720 gallons a day,iv`e had it for about 8 months and i`m still on my first bag of resin and still at 00,Gaz

twt

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 04:38:28 pm »
hi brett i think its worth it because when i need to fill my 250l tank up my vans only tied up for about 21/2 hours instead of all night.

brett walker

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 05:21:00 pm »
Thanks Gaz and Philip

Im definately going to look into getting one in the next few months

When i creep round the wife, id better be nice  ;)

Brett

Smiths Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 05:35:33 pm »
Hi Philip
i am fascinated by your idea, i haven't got a Merlin just an RO-MAN SPECIAL 200 gal. a day.you said you run tap water through the trolley pump! and this helps keep the tds down? am i right so far?  it never even occured to me to try that!.so is the extra pressure that helps? or have i missed something obvious?

Lee.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 11:27:17 pm »
Hi Phillip
I also am looking into buying a 200gpd Ro From RO-MAN. I have a 1000ltr tank in my garage crying out for pure water. Is there any reason why I should favour the merlin over RO-Man? I am not worried about the speed of the filtration. Is there anything I should know about ro-man filters that I need to? Are they man enough for the job? ???

Any help would be appreciated.

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 07:34:51 am »
Hi Lee

If speed of filtration isn't an issue the 200GDP Ro-man will be fine. I use one myself and it gives me around 600 ltrs per day. Day in day out. I get my TDS in which is 420 ish down to an average of 7 or 8 so its very efficient at TDS removal.

The only real reason to use the merlin would be its speed.

WE buy loads of stuff from Ro-Man including the Merlin so if you want a few££s off the Ro Man price pop me an email.

Cheers

Andrew

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 09:27:41 am »
The Merlin is great if you need the speed, we can also supply a booster pump to fit the merlin if your mains pressure is not so good.

If you do not need the speed then the 100-300 gpd are unbeatable for long term reliability and cost to run, we also can supply these with booster pumps as well.

Alex

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 11:38:23 am »
We use a 300gpd Ro-man and have no complaints.  When researching systems myself early last year I was told that the only downside to the Merlin was the waste ratio.

We will ALL be water metered in the not to distant future and with the wast ratio I was quoted (cant remember exactly but was more than 50%) decided to go for the RO-MAN which produces more than enough water for us to use.

Despite being slower it does the job and why make more water in a day than you use ?

Good luck - it sure is a minefield  ;)

Sarah
Sarah

twt

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 06:00:06 pm »
hi pumping from my trolley increases the pressure of the water entering into the merlin, at higher pressures reverse omosis systems such as the merlin will perform better.(less waste and lower tds) currently my merlin is producing water at 000tds before the di cylinder so i could just use the water straight out of the merlin to clean windows with, also to produce 1 litre of pure water it is using 3 litres of tap water so it has a waste water to pure water ratio of 2:1. the reason why i use my trolleys pump is because i didn't want to buy a booster pump and i thought i already have a pump so why not use that. i dont personally know about RO mans systems because i dont have one but the prices seem resonable to me and lots of people on here use them.

Lee.

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 04:19:06 am »
Thanks guys and girls,

E-mail sent to Andy and Alex, lets see what they can do for me.  ;D