Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

auto therapy

Petrol Station Canopy
« on: October 23, 2005, 07:02:06 pm »

hey guys waas just wondering if any one could help me i have been asked to clean the underside of my local petrol stations canopy.

could you let me know if any of you have ever done this and what i need to think about i.e covering the pumps , what chemials to use and also how much to
charge i am a valeter by trade but this may increase the profits if i get it right

any advice welcome  ;D

Paul Forster

Re: Petrol Station Canopy
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 08:13:43 pm »
I think this topic has come up before either in this forum or the pw section on the other forum.

The main isues I can see would be that this work would need to be done overnight due to the mess and the area would need coning off.

I would cover the pumps with polethene (dpm polethene from the builders merchants would be efective). You would  need to turn off any under clading lights first  and probably use your own floodlights.

I would be inklined to brush with tfr using a long handled brush, possiblyusing  a mobile scafold platform dependant on height .  I would folow up  by a quick blast with  the pressure washer. Price wise asuming about seven hours work (one man) atleast £600.

There may be isues as to how close your pressure washer and generater can be to the pumps (fire risk from sparks etc). would pay to chect this first, also can the water just run off  into  staions  drainage systme.

Regards Paul

martin19842

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 09:40:02 pm »
hi there,

where in the country are you??

water run off from petrol stations runs through the site interceptors.

my personal preference for this work would be as litte water as possible, even with covering up the pumps you are going to blast all the grime over the light boxes, shop fascia the whole lot.

ideally a  scissor lift,  a degreaser, water and a pressure washer to rinse.

you would be wanting to put two people in this job, overnight working may be an issue if its in a residential area, sites have strict planing consent on operational hours, so be careful there.

we would be more than happy to talk to you about this if you wanted to,

martin.sales@btinternet.com

regards

martin

preston powerblast

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 10:33:15 pm »
We use plenty of TFR inconjunction with soap lances fitted with brushes.
A lightweight scaffold tower on casters so it can be wheeled around easily.
Cover and tape all pumps with plastic sheeting and just do one bay at a time brush and soap, then rinse off.
But you wll leave hell of mess on the forecourt.
We use hallogen lighting which can be hired from any good hireshop.
My machine is carried in the van which I park to the side of the station but have got a really long hose.
But I do think you should have to do the forecourt after the canopy.
Its definately a 2 man job and will be looking over eight hours man hours.
Also watch out for the lights not all are covered an they have very flimsy reflectors.