Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jon777

9100 engine juddering
« on: July 09, 2011, 03:06:20 pm »
Hi all

Can anyone offer any advice on a tm engine problem.

It runs fine for long periods but all of a sudden will start juddering and struggling when running at full revs. I will throttle down and it seems to right itself so I can throttle up again and carry on.

My mechanical knowledge is not the best but I was thinking the plugs are the likely culprit??
Does anyone who is mechanically minded have any other ideas?

Cheers
Jon

M.Acorn

Re: 9100 engine juddering
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 04:47:44 pm »
Don't own a tm,but I am reasonably mechanically minded,check fuel filter,would be my first suggestion,sounds like fuel starvation,as it can't get enough to run at full chat..
What goes around comes around

mark pritchard

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:01:46 pm »
Hi Jon
I take it your talking about the steamway 9100lx, if so i had one of those machines for 7 years ( great machine ), i always had that problem every year were a spark plug broke down but it was always in the cold months. try changing the plugs first then see if its a fuel problem.

Mark
www.bestcarpetcleaning.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 08:24:08 pm »
1. get yourself a service pack ie plugs and air, oil, fuel filters just to keep to hand.
2. Take the spark plugs out, inspect them to make sure they aren't falling apart. Check the colour of the deposits on the terminal at the end of the spark plug - sandy brown and they're fine, black would mean burning too much fuel. Get a set of feeler gauges and check the gap across the terminal (find correct gap from manual) carefully adjust if needed. Wire brush the terminal up to clear off deposits. Put back in engine and check running of machine. Still no better then change them for new.
3. Air filter. Check it, has it gone black and clogged up. If it has then change it.  
3. Fuel starvation is a posibility. Bit hard to check this unless the filter is a see through one. If it is remove flush out with clean fuel and/or high pressure air. If it's sealed unit change the filter as a matter of course.
4. Fuel pump. rarely break down but can after years of use when under high demand/heat.
5. Engine timing. If this is out machine will either lack power or back fire, plus the signs will be seen at the spark plugs with the deposits on it.

I don't know anything about this machine but as a qualified mechanic this is the basis for fault finding.

Colin Day

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 08:35:42 pm »
... Buy a Jaguar, then you won't need to fanny around with an over-sized machine that's only puprose is to clean carpets slightly better than a Vax! ;D

Billy Russell

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:45:13 am »
... Buy a Jaguar, then you won't need to fanny around with an over-sized machine that's only puprose is to clean carpets slightly better than a Vax! ;D

Oi, Mr Muscle, calm it down.  ;D ;D