Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Halliday

Re: What would you charge for a day rate?
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 05:28:14 pm »
just to add to my post...

what if I turn up and he wants 10 lounges clean in 7hrs or 3 x 4 bed houses do I tell him it can't be done in 7hrs or do I work my bum off trying to do the work but at a lesser quality.

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

markpowell

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 05:51:04 pm »
Just to add to my post, the 3 apartments would have to be in the same complex.
Mark

brianbarber

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 10:54:05 pm »
I'm with mark,
Remember promises are easy to make
Aim for great day rate assuming you will only do a few days work and get no repeats in 6 months

Mr B

Even at £400 per day the guy is getting a good deal

If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

PaulKing

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 06:55:35 am »
Want a day rate = wants a bargain and to be your boss

Plus it will be student properties next month as it changeover time

Ask all the question mike mentioned I had this same thing he last two years,and the guy wanted 10 house done in a day over three streets so it was a set up each time. Asked him what he wanted to pay and he thought 200 was the most he'd pay. He was ringing the whole yellow pages trying to get us to bid off for the work.

Oddly enough saw another company doing the job on the day, a i had one of the address & they have over run and needed anothe day, which they weren't getting paid for as the client said said it would only take a day.

Be careful stick to your way of doing thing and maybe offer a discount for volume?
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 08:18:17 am »
Gareth,
I'd be careful on this one. Promises of future work are often used to squeeze prices. The chances are he just wants them all done on the cheap and you won't hear from him again, or they will be nightmare jobs in the first place.
I would give him a price based on bulk. In other words, if you give me three apartments on the same day £xx each and so on so that the price incentive encourages more jobs and if there isn't the bulk work he lured you in with, at least you're not doing them all for next to nothing, which is really what he's looking for.
Simon

Joe H

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 09:01:36 am »
I do flats for a let agent - 3 blocks of flats on the same piece of land.

If I do one or two at a time I charge the full price per flat
If a do 3 in the day I will discount a tenner of each.

Even moving the machine from one block of flats to the next is a task.

I agree with all the others - dont fall for the "theres more in the future"- meaning lower prices now please.
Price for today and tell him if there is more on a regular basis then you will rejig your prices accordingly.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 10:22:31 am »
And make sure you get paid These Characters are slow payers

robert meldrum

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 10:55:57 am »
Want a day rate = wants a bargain and to be your boss

Plus it will be student properties next month as it changeover time

Ask all the question mike mentioned I had this same thing he last two years,and the guy wanted 10 house done in a day over three streets so it was a set up each time. Asked him what he wanted to pay and he thought 200 was the most he'd pay. He was ringing the whole yellow pages trying to get us to bid off for the work.

Oddly enough saw another company doing the job on the day, a i had one of the address & they have over run and needed anothe day, which they weren't getting paid for as the client said said it would only take a day.

Totally agree with this and other posts suggesting CAUTION......................

You can choose to do what you wish, but this allowing someone to dictate how you will work, how they choose to pay you and how much they expect you to complete in a day.

It might sound attractive but so many " There could be a lot more work to follow statements " are used to get the BEST DEAL for the buyer NOT THE SELLER.

Be careful stick to your way of doing thing and maybe offer a discount for volume?

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 12:29:10 pm »
For my hotel clients when they are looking at doing a full clean of the hotel I charge them on an ever decreasing scale. i.e £100 for the first room going down to £10 for the final one. That way there is an incentive for them to get all the rooms done to get a lower avergae price but it also covers me if all of a sudden they take in a gypsy wedding at short notice of about 500 guests all wanting to stay (some bring their trailers) and we never get back in to finish the contract.

richy27

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 02:57:32 pm »
been reading this thread with interest.

I have quite a few clients i have been dealing with a few years now who are on a day rate basis. 

In the first instance you need to be carefull about giving out a day rate price until you find out what, how and where you are cleaning.

Also the system you are using .

I have one particular client who has a very large holiday park not statics but chalet type accomodation. they called me because they were unhappy with the previous cleaner. had a meeting and they were quite clear on the fact that they prefered to do things on a day rate basis.

they showed me how much the previous had been charging £150 a day and the amount they were doing in a day ( he was taking the P***) 6 single chalets in a day. my day rate is for this particular job 4 times his but we get ten times more done in a day with the trucky. customer is happy i am happy. 2 years down the road and i expect to be back there again next year as i cleaned the boss mans house 2 weeks ago.

for houses i wont do day rates all on an individual basis. i have letting agents landlords who dont even ask me the price before because they trust me and i trust them.

if you value yourself at £100 a day then charge it likewise if you value yourself considerably higher because of the volume of work to a high standard you can achieve .

its all a question of taking each job on an individual basis and both parties being happy.

dont become an individuals slave.

mark_roberts

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 02:58:22 pm »
Also 7 hours cleaning on one site is a long and tiring day.  A few days at that and youll need a day off to recover.

MArk

mark joyce

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 03:46:03 pm »
So what was the out come then? :)

was he trying to have you over?   what happened the the last guy that was doing it would have been my question

Joe H

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 08:45:53 pm »

they showed me how much the previous had been charging £150 a day and the amount they were doing in a day ( he was taking the P***) 6 single chalets in a day. my day rate is for this particular job 4 times his but we get ten times more done in a day with the trucky. customer is happy i am happy. 2 years down the road and i expect to be back there again next year as i cleaned the boss mans house 2 weeks ago.

So that £600 for 60 single chalets in one day ?

Is that 2 of you?

richy27

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 09:07:31 pm »

So that £600 for 60 single chalets in one day ?

it is joe .  perfectly set up for tm big square court yards only have to move the van once. no furniture to move we have done more than 60 in a day before.

Is that 2 of you?

Joe H

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2011, 08:14:33 am »
Is there 2 of you on the job?

You used the term "we" as in    "but we get ten times more done in a day"

richy27

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2011, 08:40:40 am »
2 man team one truckmount . my helper vacs, pre sprays and agitates in front of me moves hoses etc.

Adam P

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011, 06:16:29 pm »
how about saying it'll be your normal non discounted rate for the first clean and then if he's happy you'll offer x amount of discount for the second time and then every time after that. this way he's getting a good price if he sticks to his promises) and you aren't getting ripped off