Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

lisa123

hiya,rusting stainless steel sink problem
« on: October 04, 2005, 08:07:23 pm »
hiya, i hope every1 is ok, i have been away for a little while, but i just have a few questions.
I'm doing a one off clean and the kitchen is a total grease mess.
the sink i think has rusted around the base of the taps, does anyone know of a brill product to clean this up?

also, this lady is a heavy smoker and wantys us to see if we can clean her wallpaper in the living room, it looks dusty and discoloured, i think its only thin paper but with a light shiny surface, i don't think it was a matt surface. any hints and tips on what product to use there??

In her kitchen she has k&B paint on the walls but it is caked in grease, has anyone used the cillit bang grime and lime yet? is it any good? i'm thinking i could use this on the cupboard fronts aswell as the walls and oven front, and prob the tiles around the sink also.

any thoughts would be appreciated. This will be our 1st big yucky clean and the guy is asking us what chemicals we will be using and how we plan to do this job. (and rightly so, he is a lovely fella)

cheers,Lisa

domestic bliss

Re: hiya,rusting stainless steel sink problem
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 09:51:39 pm »
Just a thought!! but would WD40 get rid of the rust because it does on bikes and things.  However i have never tried it on a sink.
As for grease you need lots of hot water and i personally have used washing up liquid neat then rinsed of.
I did a really grotty mobile home a few weeks ago that too was caked in grease etc.
Not sure about the wall paper because obviously if you get it too wet it may start to bubble or lift perhaps do a patch test with warm water and see what happens i cannot reccomend any product.   sorry.  Good luck

dustdees

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 07:06:14 am »
Hi Lisa,

Good to hear from you, glad you are doing well.

Try my favourite SUGARSOAP!!

Cillit bang is C**P!! don't bother with it.

Have fun

Love Denise ;D

The Oven Cleaner

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 10:27:52 am »
When i get rust spots on stainless ovens i use Astonish oven and cookware paste on a damp soft cloth. This works great and can be used on loads of other surfaces too.

Costs 99p for a 250ml tub and lasts for ages. I get mine from Morrissons or Wilkinsons.

Hope this helps

Andrew

CMS

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 03:57:29 pm »
I think that this would be a good point at which to remind all you 'domestic' cleaners about the need for COSHH data sheets.

Do you have them with all this stuff you're buying from supermarkets?

The Oven Cleaner

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 04:23:10 pm »
Hi CMS

A good point well made.

Astonish will furnish you with all the relevant documentation on the product i suggested. I only purchase it through a supermarket as Astonish were quoting £3.50 a tub ???

Andrew

lisa123

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 04:53:41 pm »
anyone know what i can use on the wall paper? I thought sugar soap on the kitchen walls.

As i sayshe is a heavy smoker so the wallpaper is yellowing, but i don't want to ruin the paper. It could prob do with replacing really.

Art

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 11:56:11 pm »
Hi Lisa,

Best thing with the wallpaper is to say you'll do your best but don't promise to much it's always better to promise less. If i were you i'd get here to sign a disclaimer for any damages to the paper. Sounds like a lost cause to clean.

dustdees

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 07:59:43 pm »
CMS,

Sugarsoap, well yes you can get coshh sheets, so there!!

Sometime you know you do make us out to be a somewhat thick. Most of us know what we have to provide to cover our staff and insurance polices.

Everyone isn't a "Rogue Trader" you know!!!    >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

lisa123

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 09:56:15 pm »
cms

wilkinsons and all the other named brands supply us with coshh stuff as long as we ask.

I am fully insured thanks and so are my employees, i may only be 27 but i'm not stupid, or irresponsible, and i don't appreciate your inverted comma use when describing domestic cleaners!!

do you find us and our work beneath you?? please dont judge us by your own shoddy standards, if thats what you think of us!! cheeky beggar  >:(

dustdees

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 07:19:13 am »
Nice One Lisa!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Glad to think that some else holds my few.

Talk about  looking down at their nose to us, I think that that person is trying to make out that we are all stupid, Yep cheeky begger!!!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

DP

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 05:31:47 pm »
For stainless sinks, there are many products including "shiny sinks" or “bar keepers friend” which are also  brilliant products and available from Tescos, Sainsbury etc, just use with paper if you can.

For smoke contaminated wallpaper you can use any high alkaline detergent including sugar soap or even strong washing up liquid as an easy option. For a more professional option (subject to opinion) most chemical companies produce a high alkaline product within their range, ie Heinkel(?) = Power Clean, Dysys = Powerfull, Seldon = F1 (I think) etc etc. All these will need diluting and you need to establish if the paper will take moisture with a test.

Tip: Wash the walls from the bottom up not from the top down, as any residual chemical that runs down the wall will set the dirt/smoke in the paper as a streak which can then prove very difficult to remove when you get to it.

In fear of impending doom, please note that I have not used any inverted comer’s (oops) or even mentioned the words COSHH or Insurance (bugger) and humbly apologise for even suggesting a moisture test if that would prove obvious to you.

Well it is getting kind of dangerous around here  ;D ;D ;D ;)
Everyone seems normal untill you get to know them!

CMS

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 06:23:00 pm »
Hi Dustdees and Lisa

First of all, I do not think that you or the type of work that you do is 'beneath me' as you say. Far from it in fact. I merely used inverted commas to differentiate between 'domestic' and 'commercial' work (see, I used it there too for 'commercial' work - I guess that evens it out).

Nor do I think that either of you are stupid.

What I will say though is this..................

Over the course of the last couple of weeks both of you have asked extensively for advice on almost every subject and every post that you have made.

I  have tried to give you the benefit of my experience (as have many others on here) so that you don't make some of the mistakes I made in the early days - and believe me, I've made some whoppers!

If you are unable to take advice I guess you should stop asking for it.

Or maybe you've reached the point that you now know it all, in which case I guess you won't need to ask any more.

*Chris Browne

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 06:26:09 pm »
I get all my products from wilkinsons ( just good value) and they supply me with all the data, ...................and good old sugarsoap you cant beat it lisa!

Chris

;)

lisa123

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 08:06:18 pm »
hi all, don't worry it's just a bit of banter.

cms, i do just shrewsbury at the mo, and mainly domestic. So i think your commercial venture is out of myleague at the moment. plus both me and my biz partner are employed full time aswell until this biz gets busier.

thats for the advice everyone, i'll try the watered down sugar soap route on tbe wallpaper. (with a test in a hidden place first).

I ask alot of questions because i like to learn and find out about the ways others go about similar tasks. I don't know it all, and prob never will.

By the way, I'm doing an NVQ in cleaning soon so that will make me feel more confident in my abilities and i won't have to ask any more silly questions  :P :)