Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

REVIVE-A-DRIVE

water softners
« on: October 05, 2005, 09:09:15 am »
does snyone use a water softner before the ro to protect the ro?

my tds is 530 just wanted to no how long the ro would last producing about 250 litres a day 5 days a week?
cheers

gaza

Re: water softners
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 09:33:17 pm »
I have asked this question before and the conclusion is not many people know this {but according to a man at the leading firm for resin its no good infront of a di unit] a water softener doesnt take anything out that would assist the resin,so my conclusion would be it doesnt alter the tds reading. which I find difficult to understand because hard water areas have high tds readings soft water areas seem to have lower tds readings,must be soft water areas have purer water as well.

NOW I MAYBE FAR FROM THE TRUTH BUT IM SURE SOME BRAINIAC WILL CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

rosskesava

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 09:52:12 pm »
Hi

Hard water areas have more lime and chalk in the water.

Water softeners add salt (I think) to the water to counter the effects of the hardness.

I think. I read it somewhere on this forum or 'that' other forum ages ago.

Cheers

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 10:14:29 pm »
As above I've read some were, Yes a water softner would help to protect the Ro membraine but the cost is not justified compared to the cost of replacing the membraine.
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

clearly pro

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 12:12:53 pm »
We have a water softener on our house system and the company we got the system from is the same company I rent my large DI tanks from (culligan in the US). Our system is a typical system in that how it works is by replacing the minerals that make water hard with sodium. So if our TDS is 200 before the system it is still 200 after the system only instead of calcium or magnesium, it is now salt. The bennifets are not-so-much for the DI unit, it would reduce mebrane wear big time, but now our house has soft water which reduces hard water buildup in all of our home water issues. Laundry, dishwasher etc. it also reduces the amount of soap needed by half. It also makes taking a bath more of a pleasure. Clothes and skin and everythng just feels softer...hence the name I suppose.

If you wantd to extend the lif of your membrane you should put a carbon filter (as big of one os you can afford) in front of the RO unit which will reduce a lot of the stuff that kills your membrane. Here in the US carbon is cheap compared to mebranes. It is suggested that you use 50 to 60 pounds of carbon but even less if replaced as needed would suffice to seriouls ad life to your membrane. Also, make sure you have the ability to flush your membrane often.
Say G'nite Gracie
G'nite Gracie

kiral1404

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 08:09:03 pm »
tried an experiment.

I added 5kg of salt to my main tank then run it through my di system.

Don't bother tds shot through the roof the di system don't work and the pump jammed, now got the pump running again and just fitted my new 100gpd ro-man today so won't bother with the di system anymore

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 09:33:16 pm »
If you wantd to extend the lif of your membrane you should put a carbon filter (as big of one os you can afford) in front of the RO unit

That was the same advice that I got from the company that I bought my Ro from "Air,Water,Ice" an American company,due to replace the carbon filter soon can't wait to see the price for one in the UK.
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

clearly pro

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 09:48:29 pm »
FYI...a carbon filter can be purchased from a fish/pet store. It is simply activated charcoal. If you went the route of looking foir activated charcoal in a canister instead of a carbon filter, you might find them even less expensive. G'luck
Say G'nite Gracie
G'nite Gracie

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 09:59:36 pm »
went the route of looking foir activated charcoal in a canister instead of a carbon filter, you might find them even less expensive. G'luck

Intresting, my project for the week end.. (better than DIY for her indoors)
Thanks Clearly pro
www.thewindowcleaner.biz