Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ian davison

What did you do?
« on: October 05, 2005, 09:00:11 pm »
Hi lads,
 just wondering what you lads did before window cleaning,
I worked in engineering and couldnt bear the thought of going back.
               Ewen

Ian_Giles

Re: What did you do?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 09:22:32 pm »
We have indeed, but just about every other question has also been done!

Well for me I was a decorator, ran my own business after serving my apprentiship on my fathers building company.
Had about 7 or 8 working for me at one point, along came a slump in the buiding industry and I started window cleaning to bring in a bit of money, researched it heavily first and the rest is history ;)

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 09:27:03 pm »
I started off working in a kebab shop.  Since I'm half-Japanese on my Mother's side, the customers found my appearance in this Turkish food shop strange.

Many-a-time a drunken-Geordie walked into the shop, saw me, then walked out and took another look at the 'kebab sign', before returning with a puzzled look and saying, 'Shouldn't you be in the c****ies down the road?'

Then I joined the army at age 16.  Unfortunately my ex-SAS troop Corporal's Grandad was killed in the 'war' by the Japanese.

My basic training wasn't much fun until he died in a car crash during my 7th week and I realised there was actually a God.  

From then on, I was allowed to enter my living accommodation through the front door; rather than having to shin up the pole supporting the porch and climb through the first floor window, to get to my bed-space.  My Troop Corporal said I wasn't 'good enough' to use the front door; being half-Japanese.  When he was dead he couldn't stop me.

It hasn't all been bad though.  Once in Ireland as a soldier, drinking undercover in an out of bounds establishment; I pretended I was Japanese and managed to get blind drunk without getting murdered by the Republican thugs that frequented the Chinese establishment.  I nearly got caught out when I didn't know where the toilets were though, when asked by a well known terrorist.

Anyway, since leaving the army after 17 years I have been promoted to Moderator on this site and have several (or eight) regular window cleaning customers.

At least now,  no-one (apart from Roger, Ian or Graham) makes fun of me because I've got slanty eyes!

I will shortly be progressing to using a water-fed pole!

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 09:28:28 pm »
Yes indeed Ian it has

So for those that cant use the search button

Me as follows

Carpenters mate
builders mate
sparkys mate
tractor driver (not to be confussed wuth tractor boy) up the canaries
glassfibre laminator
lotus Cars  test pilot (SINCLAIR C5) ha ha
lsat 15 years class 1 HGV 15 hr days Out mon - fri missed the kids growing up

4 months ago started window cleaning

sorry had better days

rosskesava

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 09:30:16 pm »
Toolmaker 6 years.... Volunteer Services Overseas 12 years  .... railways...... 11 years ....sacked unfairly ... Industrial Tribunal... won  ;D  ..... was umemployable as a result .....no money ....  bought a ladder .... squeegie .. did no research ... etc

Am as happy as a pig in ......

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 09:40:07 pm »
speaking of .. err.. pigs.. i was one of her majesty's finest and proud of looking out for the old biddies and the less fortunate (listen to them there violins) until cynicism whispered to me "If you clean them, they will pay"
well thats the abbv. version :)

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 10:45:53 pm »
I think I'll start storing these answers and just cut and paste when needed..

Started as a van lad on the bread vans
then went to work in (Discotec's) went from glass collector to General Manager... Great days like working in a libary all those wome..

Any way went from Disco's to Pubs.. being 6ft and big boned I kept getting those places that needed refitting on Monday mornings... Finnished up at a nice little pub/steak bar in Alcester (stratford)...

Left the trade (hours to long) sold insurance, then Chickens (dead ones) and did a bit of agency driving... started window cleaning to pay for food/electric/gas ect (a missus/Dog and sever kids).. took to it ( kept me out of the house...Peace and quite), That was 14 years ago... still doing it. Still enjoying the Peace and quite...

Alan
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

SWC_70

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 12:46:43 am »
Male haw......(yeah i know its spelt wrong, word filterin is a real bug-ger)..........P.S. sorry, David, St Ives, ladies only... ;)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 10:32:07 am »
Male haw......(yeah i know its spelt wrong, word filterin is a real bug-ger)..........P.S. sorry, David, St Ives, ladies only... ;)

confused  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

someone give us a clue   ???

SWC_70

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 03:11:54 pm »
Doh!

Work it out for yourself peabrain..

H h20

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 04:03:26 pm »
Left school at 16,went to wotk with parents at a washing machine factory,got made redundant 9 months later,started on a painting &decorating training yts for 12 months,worked in a diy store hated it,then started working for a window cleaner,realised i could do better on my own and here i am now 36,Gaz.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 04:42:56 pm »
Rocket Scientist
It's a game of three halves!

craigw

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 08:14:26 pm »
window cleaning from 16 for my dad doing just commercial started on my own at 21  doing  commercial and residentual, now 31 lol

kiral1404

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 08:22:42 pm »
Worked in electric industry working on LV/HV had a 2 year sabbatical in between on the railways. Had enough of driving 4-6 hours a day and missing my girl grow up only in 4 month now, skint but but glad im about to see her grow up