Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Lewis Newby

porty problems
« on: July 01, 2011, 07:49:18 pm »
hi guys, i;v got a prochem sx2100 and one of the vacs blew a couple months ago, i replaced it but the 2nd vac didnt look to great and also blew up a few weeks ago. i also replaced this and thought it was back to normal.

on its first use today one of the vacs cut off after about 5mins, i carried on with the job as it was a pretty clean carpet anyway it dint make much difference. when i went to fill/empty the machine i tried both the vacs and again they both worked for a couple mins, i left both switched on this time and the 1st vac continued to cut on and off every couple mins.

any thoughts on this please? maybe incorrect installation?

regards

lew

Colin Day

Re: porty problems
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 08:04:15 pm »
Shame you weren't a bit closer, I'd have had a look at it for you...

Is there any way water is getting in or on the motors?

Lewis Newby

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 08:48:50 pm »
certainly not since changing the motors but it did happen on the old vacs, i got it 2nd hand and never checked it out properly and it was missing the float ball screen so on the first use it got some foam through the vacs.

upon stripping it down there were deposits of carpet fibre,pet hair etc in the vanes of the old motors and lining the vac pipes on the insides of the machine. the way the motor cuts out is almost like its overheating but i'v installed the new vacs the same as the old ones came out.

i did wonder if its because the vacs are not the same makes, the 1st was from restoremate but they didn't have any this time round so i ordered a similar looking 1 from ebay. one of the vacs sounds loud like the origionals and the other more like a henry

thank you for the reply Colin, i dont think theres anyone down here in devon to take it too.

Colin Day

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 09:00:31 pm »
I have a friend oop north who always changes both motors, even if only one pops. I don't really understand why TBH ???

May I suggest that you use an in-line filter on your hoses if debris ingress is a problem, I know that Solution sell them for about £115. But to be honest, the filter within the machine should really be stopping the debris entering the vacs...

Paul Heath

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 09:04:13 pm »
It depends on what power each vacumn is. If they are not the same, one will draw more than the other, while the other struggles.
Theses any good? http://www.pjcleaningsupplies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=18&zenid=9bdee1b07b9c9b645f24c0cf30f2adc1

Lewis Newby

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 09:10:38 pm »
thanks again for the replys guys, i'm gonna strip the machine down again i can only assume the previous owner used the machine with no filter/ball float .

could residual debris be causing this problem though? i got as much out as possible. maybe i will call the vac suppliers and see if they've had any problems with either motors, as i said they were not genuine- the prochem ones were around twice the price. i guess maybe it comes down to buy cheap buy twice

cheers
lew

John Kelly

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 09:21:20 pm »
Check the vent which lets air into the motor chamber. This is to the side. Sometimes the foam rubber which surrounds it collapses and this causes the vacs to over heat and switch off or burn out. There must be good airflow into the chamber to keep things cool.

Lewis Newby

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 09:30:35 pm »
thanks John, is this the hollow ,foam lined box to the left side as you look into the compartment from the rear?  there was about 2" of hose coming off the vac nearest and venting into this box. tho the cut-out hole looked somewhat like and afterthought .

cheers
lew

John Kelly

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 09:48:20 pm »
Yes thats it. Make sure its clear. Had a few with similar problem to yours and the foam had blocked the channel and was causing vacs to overheat.

markpowell

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 09:52:21 pm »
I would also check that you have not over tightened the motors holding bolts.
Mark