Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian Gourlay

Re: Rogue traders/ watchdog NOW
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2010, 11:35:11 am »
I thought the other Con with these companies was you have to buy the equipment

I did phone Homecare once fo a job I thought that was the deal

Helen

« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2010, 12:14:30 pm »

Think the many like this do it many different ways.

The figures that "could" be earnt quoted are misleading. This company must be VAT registered. So straight away your £8.99 becomes £7.66 and commission paid against that. So £400.00 becomes £340.43 and so on. 40% of £340.43 = £136.18.
They supply van and machine and chems etc...supply could mean "freebies" (i think not) supply could mean hire or buy, therefore you are talking paying out insurance, fuel etc etc. Then because you are commission based are you employed or self employed.....and we all know how fine a line that one is. Do you pay your own tax or do they pay it.
Once you start taking all these things into consideration suddenly your £1500 per week is not looking so good.
A similar set up a few years ago around here, told their office based telesales staff that they were employed, but never paid tax and NI for them. (although deducted it from their wages)
The business closed down and the individuals were left being liable to pay backdated tax and ni contributions. These people who set these things up are clever no doubt, but in the end they will get caught out....or will they?
Let's remember though in order to make a living working for these sort of businesses, you are going to have to be a great salesperson, ruthless and don't give a monkeys >:(
 I wouldn't want to do their standard of maint clean for 40% commission of £8.99 netted down to make £3.07 would you ?

Mark Lawrence

« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2010, 01:46:23 pm »
The whole point is, if you tried to put through just the 8.99 whilst working for them all the time, you would be got rid of rather quickly I'm sure.

Maybe when they interview for CC's they have a requirement that you are:

a) Dishonest
b) Greedy
c) Uncaring
d Pushy

Failing that, you dont get the job  ::)

Mark

Matt Lindus

« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2010, 02:37:08 pm »
It has a totally unregulated payment system. The rogues they have running round in vans are not only conning the customer but conning the crook that owns the business. ::)

The biggest problem they have is that the cleaner is dictating the cost and payment method, and payment is made after the job is complete.

Anyone who owns a service business that employs staff understands that the front line workers DO NOT mention or handle cash, this is done by the surveyor or owner. And an official invoice is sent to the customer after work/s is complete.

If you fail to observe the above, you are wide open to fraud from your own workforce, which will be happening in this case.

Matt

MAX Carpets

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2010, 03:36:16 pm »
just seen one of there vans in Bracknell..........................business as usual it would seem!

waynebarry

« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2010, 03:45:59 pm »
I was on a course with Paul Pearce a couple of months ago at Alltec and he was saying that he had been approched by Rogue traders who were doing a sting on some dodgy carpet cleaners,  I was surpriced not to see him on the program as an expert!

jasonl

« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2010, 04:54:40 pm »
just seen one of there vans in Bracknell..........................business as usual it would seem!

There are 2 on my street! , see at least 10 every day , they are only round the corner from me .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Matt Lindus

« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2010, 05:09:33 pm »
Why dont you ask them for a job Jason. Go out and keep the money for yourself, just invoice for £8.99 on every job. Get customer to make cheque to you and withdraw the £8.99 for invoice from cash point. Free van & marketing, you cant go wrong.

Matt

calmore

« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2010, 05:10:07 pm »

A lot of these type of companies will 'rent' you a machine, ie make a deduction from your earnings.

They also generally make a deduction for 'insurance', 'advertising', 'chemicals', 'admin' etc...etc leaving the operator with about £20-£30 from each job.
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

calmore

« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2010, 05:17:07 pm »
It has a totally unregulated payment system. The rogues they have running round in vans are not only conning the customer but conning the crook that owns the business. ::)

The biggest problem they have is that the cleaner is dictating the cost and payment method, and payment is made after the job is complete.

Anyone who owns a service business that employs staff understands that the front line workers DO NOT mention or handle cash, this is done by the surveyor or owner. And an official invoice is sent to the customer after work/s is complete.

If you fail to observe the above, you are wide open to fraud from your own workforce, which will be happening in this case.

Matt

The technicians probably do rip the owner off. However, the technicians have big targets and if they don't meet them they are out the door.

So...if they pocket too much they end up out of a job so it makes sense to declare a large proportion of their earnings to the boss.
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/