Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Halliday

rug problem
« on: October 29, 2010, 06:12:35 pm »
cleaned a rug on Wednesday, from the initial quote I told the client it was a bit suspect...... here's a picture.

the problem was the leaf inserts which were a cloth stitched onto what I would call a micro fibre fabric, it had a feel of Viscose although i couldn't get a fibre to test I could see liquid spills that had caused no pile distortion.

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Mike Halliday

Re: rug problem
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 06:17:53 pm »
as soon as i started to extract   the leaf design ripped and the microfibre pulled away from the rug backing.luckily I had involved the customer in the full testing process so was covered and not held responsible, as I had also discussed other methods of cleaning but due to the heavy soiling & stains on the rug they were discounted

hopefully you can see the damage on this photo

I'm posting this topic so any one who comes across this rug will be fore-warned.

Justin lee

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 07:48:29 pm »
thanks mike for the warning, i will stay well clear!
i am here to learn and appreciate any help!!

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 08:53:13 pm »
Thanks Mike, I`ll avoid those!

colin fitch

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 12:09:25 pm »
Hi Mike

How was the microfibre fixed to the rug backing?

the microfibre pulled away from the rug backing

colin.

matthew martin

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 05:49:43 pm »
Thanks for the warning hope you want come across to many of them ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 05:59:06 pm »
oops...sorry colin missed your question.

the micro-fibre looked like it passed under the carpet fibres and was fixed with the fibres. on the tears you could put your finger under the fabric so it was not glued down are anything similar.

Bob Robertson

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 07:44:59 pm »
I have done the exact same rug for a customer twice before and never had a problem with it. I done the inserts using a CFR hand tool. Was it just the one insert you tried on it?

Bob

Mike Halliday

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 07:53:08 pm »
Bob we cleaned all the inserts same as you with a CFR which caused the rips on 4 inserts, we then changed to a 6 inch curtain tool we sprayed from a height then pressed the tool against the fabric and vacced it off this stopped any further damage but the result was not as good.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned using net curtain ;) ;)

Bob Robertson

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 07:59:02 pm »
Bob we cleaned all the inserts same as you with a CFR which caused the rips on 4 inserts, we then changed to a 6 inch curtain tool we sprayed from a height then pressed the tool against the fabric and vacced it off this stopped any further damage but the result was not as good.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned using net curtain ;) ;)

Or putting a pair of tights over the hand tool, it gives a sexy feel and does the same job ;D

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 09:04:59 pm »
Mike, any idea where these rugs are from and the cost at purchase.
It's always good to be pre-armed with as much info as possible, as we have all experienced the "I bought it from Harvey Nicks and it cost £**** so it's quality you know." To which our brains are going 'Don't care how much it costs it's rubbish really.'

colin fitch

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 02:57:25 pm »
Thanks for the reply Mike.

Colin.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 04:12:43 pm »
Niel missed your question ::) ::) although value was not discussed i would think this rug fell into the range of about £80-£120 category, it was not expensive